Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aspen is a adorable. We got her on Thursday and she is already so bonded. BUT when it comes to crate training she goes crazy. every time we put her in her kennel she cries and barks. It is almost impossible to deal with because she gets so loud. I have tried giving her treats, kongs with food, chicken strips, and rawhide bones. She doesn't cry when she is eating them but after she barks like there is no tomorrow. HELP! I don't know what to do! Ideas?

·
Musician/Songwriter
380 Posts
Congrats on Aspen. Some very important things here. DO NOT interact with Aspen when she is crated. Aspen will learn that her cries for companionship will always be answered with enough carrying on. It's important to establish a "going to bed routine" and stick to it. Make sure the dog has completely eliminated before crating. Remove the water bowl 2 hours before bedtime. The first couple of nights may be filled with crying and can sometimes last for a hour. Dim the lights and either sit or lay somewhere near the crate but not too close. Do not answer the cries for help. Ignore it. It will not last long. Although the cries may turn into yelping and howling, it's just their instinct to cry out. Our puppy Darby cried right through Gold Rush(my favorite show) which lasted an hour. Eventually she tired herself out and went to sleep. Next night she only cried for 30 minutes. In 3 days, she slept through the night and is still doing so. I cannot stress how important consistancy is in this situation.
I know it's hard to ignore the crying but Aspen is looking to you for guidance and conformity and you don't want to send mixed signals. Hang in there. I promise it wont last long.:)

·
Registered
30 Posts
I agree with the posting above. It is so hard to ignore them but it is the best thing to do. Our puppy made noises for about a week but every night it got better. We moved her crate to our room and it helped. If she started making noise we would say "Shhhh" and she would lay back down. She probably sleeps well knowing we are there because she can hear my husband snoring. Lol

Hang in there!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Just one note: Tire her out. I played with Cody until he almost felt asleep at my feet. For him, crate was a welcome time out.

If my memory serves me right, this is how I scheduled it out: Wake up, out of crate, go potty, play, breakfast, play, go crate, wake up, go potty, play, play, go crate, wake up, go potty, play, lunch, go crate, wake up, go potty, play, play, go crate, wake up, go potty, play, play, go crate, wake up, go potty, play, dinner, play, go crate, wake up, go potty, play, play, go crate, wake up, last go potty before sleep, play, go crate.

Wake up at 3AM, go potty, right back to crate. Wake up at 5:00AM, go potty, back to crate.

Wake up at 6AM, another day begins.

That kind of lasted for 4 days or so. I don't know how I survived.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
She's a baby & this too will pass. One of the best things you can do is crate train her. I don't know if you have children and can relate to this analogy, but sometimes you just have to let them cry. It's not mean, it's what she needs. Her crate is her den, she just isn't used to it & doesn't realize it yet. Just be patient & keep at it. This too will pass.

Reactions: darbysdad

·
Registered
95 Posts
I just a got a one year old golden who never saw a crate before. All the above advice is good. One thing that helped me was to do all the above but I then covered Regis' crate which made a huge difference in the crying. Good luck and don't give up because you will regret it in the long run.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Very good advice iforget.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you everyone! I've been crate training her pretty much all afternoon. I take her out every hour and play for 20 minutes then put her back. The first couple times she cried a lot. But she is definitely getting better or more tired. If she barks should i say no or shhh or should I just let her? Thank you for all the great advice. I am sure as time passes she will get better!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts