Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cooper is almost 7 weeks now and is a wonderful pup. He sleeps in his crate at night and does fine; he might whine once or twice during the night and we take him out to potty then he's fine.

However, during the day if we have something to do in the house we might put him in his crate for 30 mins or so, and he won't stop yelping. Again, there's no problem at night, just during the day. We have put the crate it the living room where there are people around, and have put it in our bedroom where it's quiet and he still cries.

How long does it take them to get used to the crate?

Thanks.

·
gone
1,443 Posts
I used to put a loose blanket over Bayne's crate, leaving lots of room for air flow and tented out so he couldn't grab any of it to pull in and chew. This quieted him down quickly, it created a dark den like space for him.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I usually have a Kong toy with some treats inside to keep Cody busy.
As an aside, seven weeks is still quite young, I think. He may need more constant attention at that age. Maybe give Cooper more play so that he can be exhausted and willingly sleep in the crate?
Oh, I play Doris Day music during the day. Cody seems to enjoy her voice.

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
What do you do when he cries/yelps in the crate? Do you ignore him? Take him out of the crate? Shush him? If you're giving him any attention whatsoever in response to the yelping you're teaching him that all he needs to do is cry to get attention and/or get out of the crate. Try ignoring him completely and only let him out if/when he quiets down.

·
Registered
296 Posts
What do you do when he cries/yelps in the crate? Do you ignore him? Take him out of the crate? Shush him? If you're giving him any attention whatsoever in response to the yelping you're teaching him that all he needs to do is cry to get attention and/or get out of the crate. Try ignoring him completely and only let him out if/when he quiets down.
I would second this. It has become second nature to us not to pay attention to a yelping pup other than to possibly turn on a radio for comfort if we have forgotten. Even if you try to scold the pup for yelping, he sees that as attention and any attention, good or bad, is better than no attention in his mind. You must ignore him completely. if you walk into the room to turn on the radio you should not look at him or speak to the pup.

·
Kristy
9,813 Posts
Hang in there! Try to set him up for success but putting him in there after he's had a play session or has been up for a while so hopefully he will use it as a nap time. Try to get him in there for brief periods a couple times a day, and the frozen stuffed kong idea is great. I have always used dinner time to let my puppy stay in a crate where he can see us and eat his dinner while we eat ours. Yes, we've had some meals in the past where he fussed loudly thru most of the meal, but sticking it out pays off. Puppies are like kids, some are more stubborn or more persistent than others, but if you stick with this and are matter of fact about it and not giving attention for the crying, he will get it in a few weeks. I promise.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We have tried everything mentioned above and he still hates his crate. Now he's even waking up at night and crying some in the crate which he wasn't doing previously. During the day when we put him in it he cries so much that he won't even touch he Kong. I hope this gets better soon, as we can't handle too many more sleepless nights.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
At night is his crate in your bedroom? That helped a lot when Hank was that age.

We had the same problem during the day so I didn't use the crate much then, I usually just gated him in the laundry room with his toys.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, the crate has always been in our bedroom and he was doing fine at night, but just started crying at night this week. It's been so bad that we've had to move to our spare bedroom to sleep.

·
Yuki's mom...Syd
687 Posts
i am having same problem with my pup. as long as the gate of the crate is open he goes in and sleeps there but if we approach it to close he jumps out of the crate. i have tried everything but he doesnt like being shut in the crate and barks a lot. everyone in the house gets a headache from his barking. his crate is in the living room where everyone usually stay during the whole day. =/ i have tried treats, kong, toys...but once the gate is closed he doesnt touch anything and barks repeatedly. ignoring him didnt help either. :( i would also like some help.

will putting a cover over the crate really help? i have already placed his fav bed inside the crate. i was planning on adding some pillows too for him to play with or snuggle.

·
New to Golden Land :)
55 Posts
Well I am wondering the same for Jake....we have had him for 3 weeks and we have been putting him in the crate at night since the beginning. He also has to stay in his crate while we are at work...and when we leave in the morning he barks and cries well until I am out of range and I can't hear him anymore. Then at night he barks and cries for about 15-20 minutes like every night. He is just a little guy so I am thinking he will get used to it....the only other thing that I would expect him to be used to it because he was a pet shop pup (I know, I know...I just couldn't walk away he looked so sad in that cage). He has spent alot of time in the cage....now he is out of the kennel WAY more and I do not crate him during the weekends unless we are going somewhere he can not go. My question is will be get used to the kennel...and is there anything I can do to make it a more enjoyable experience for him. I know that the kennel means for him that we will be leaving and he wont be with us...so I doubt he will ever happily go in his kennel, I am just hoping he will stop the hysterics because I would like to move the kennel upstairs to one of the bedrooms (most likely our sons) but Logan would never get to sleep with all the noise that Jakes makes :) Thoughts?

·
Musician/Songwriter
380 Posts
Darby is 8 weeks old now and sleeps through the night in her crate. Daytime crating should be done slowly and methodically. After a play session, I put Darby in the crate with a couple of treats and close the door. I started by laying in front of the crate until she settled down. No eye contact words or interaction of any kind. Eventually she tires herself out and naps. Next day same thing but I move a little further from the crate, and so on, and so on...Eventually I was able to crate her and sit in the chair across the room. It's nothing but an abandonement issue for the pup, and it's the same thing they do in the wild to summon the mother to be found. If your pup has started acting out at night, it is probably tied into the daytime crating. By all means, after your sure the pup has completely eliminated , stay strong and ignore, ignore, ignore. It will pass. Give it time.

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
Crate Games is a fun way to teach dogs to love their crates.
Crate Games

·
Registered
38 Posts
hello! Our pup is almost 4 months old and he too sleeps in a crate all night...He LOVES his crate EXCEPT if we leave it uncovered! Since we brought him home I have been covering his crate with a large blanket. If I even put him in there for 5 min. without it being covered, he whines to get out but as soon as I throw a blanket over it (leaving the front uncovered of course) he settles down. Have you tried covering it...or putting a small treat in there?, that might help him like his crate too.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts