Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Cannyn's Owner
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We brought Cannyn home from Wisconsin to Texas on Friday. She's 10 weeks and I have crate trained small dogs before and they haven't whined, cried, slammed up against the crate when locked inside like cannyn does. I associate positive things with the crate like peanut butter filled kongs, treats when she goes in (she in fact goes into my two smaller dogs crate willingly and drinks their water) but she doesn't seem to like her crate as much. I have a towel and a few chew toys in there but she pays no attention to them when locked inside. She cried the first night 12/14/13 for 30 mins. The next night 12/15/13 for a little less and tonight for about 25 mins. I completely ignore her and don't say anything or get her out while whining. I am scared she'll never love it and think of the crate as a safe place. Help! It's a wire crate. That is divided into about 1/3 where she stays.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Crate training doesn't happen overnight and some dogs can take a bit longer to adjust than others, as is your case.

I'm sure she'll learn to tolerate it, but remember she is only 10wks, a baby. The fact she is so young, you cannot get frustrated and just sorta ride this out. Cannyn will get it eventually, just give it some time. Her world has been turned upside and she is far away from what she knows, all she needs is some comfort and time.

What really helps is to make sure she's had exercise and a potty break before she's gone in the crate for the night. Also maybe leaving a piece of clothing or towel with your scent on it could help ease her as well.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Just a word of advice, it can take MONTHS in some cases. I have read about some dog owners who have literally had to endure crying and screaming all night for 4 months before it all settled down!

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
If her crate is too big for her you can put a separator in there to make it more comfy and cozy. Once she's bigger you can remove it. I used a plastic storage bin to make ours more cozy.

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
You might also try putting a blanket or sheet (if pup gets too hot) over the crate so she can't see much of what is going on in the house, or if it is nighttime, then lower the lights so things get quiet and still. My girl didn't crate train easily either, but I found when I made her crate dark, she settled much faster. Still took about 2 wks before she resigned and learned to like her crate. She always seemed to like her crate more when I covered it (except for the door), but as a babe, I used a sheet and covered 1/2 of the door too.

Hang in there, usually dogs learn to love their crate.

·
Cannyn's Owner
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all for the replies! I have put a separator in there so it's about 1/3 of the crate that she's in. The crate is also right next to my bed but the whole part of the crate that is empty is closer to me than she is. Would turning it around so she's closest to me and covering the whole crate except front door help?

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I've always used a crate like this:

Plastic Dog Crates » Grreat Choice Dog Carriers | PetSmart

for my pups when they're young and moved to a more open wire crate as they get bigger. They have always seemed to feel more secure that way and they've crate trained quickly as easily this way. If you're using a wire crate and have something you can lay over the sides and back that you are sure your pup won't be able to grab onto and drag inside with her, it might be worth a try. I always keep the crate very close to my bed at night as well, and make sure pup has been loved on/played with before bed time (I stop food/water earlier in the evening to help them make it through the night more easily).

·
Cannyn's Owner
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I can assure you all she's sleeping soundly like this ... How is it comfy!?

Attachments

·
Registered
998 Posts
Aww! Holly sleeps like that in her crate too. She's about 9.5-10 weeks, so about the same age as Cannyn.

I can't say her crate training is going as smoothly as it did for Cassie. Cassie never whined at all. She just got in, went to sleep, and that was that. Holly is payback for all that easiness.

The kicker with Holly is that she's quiet if she can't see me. But once she sees me, she starts to cry (and now even bark). The worst part is that some of the time, she has to go potty. Other times, she just wants to play. So it's extra difficult to know how to handle the situation.

I am thankful that Holly only cries for about 10-15 minutes, and then settles down and goes to sleep.

If Cannyn is crying for longer than that... is there possibly a way to play a game with her so that she's tired when she goes into the crate? Kind of get her in the right direction? (Of course... this may backfire and just get her all wound up instead)

·
Cannyn's Owner
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ya she doesn't sleep like that in her crate. I'm wondering if I should make it more comfy in there for her. She falls asleep instantly with me on the couch during the day. And she'll walk in willingly to her crate but won't lay down or stay in there. I hope she learns to like it.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Oh, my mistake... thought the picture was in the crate.

Do you feed her in her crate? I've found with Holly that feeding her in her crate has helped with her learning to like it.

·
Cannyn's Owner
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yep feeding, treats when she goes in, putting her in there during naps, peanut butter kong things in there. But she still whines for a bit longer than I've ever experienced. Just worries me.

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
You just picked her up- it will take time. She will learn to love the crate, but you can't expect her to love it in just a few days. Especially with her whole world being turned upside down.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Yeah, one of the big lessons that I learned with Cassie was patience. Things take time. Longer than what you "feel" might be proper, thus causing worry. That said, I still lack it. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts