Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just curious about when we can move Shiloh's crate from our room at night to downstairs. She's only nine weeks, and small for her age, and still waking at night to potty. So I assume she needs to be with us until she is at least sleeping through the night. But will waiting longer to move her crate to its permanent nighttime location downstairs make the transition harder?

During the day she naps fine in her crate, but we homeschool our six children, so she is never alone and even while napping she has our noise and presence around her, which she clearly prefers. She loves a busy house. :eek:

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
I personally started off maverick in a different room downstairs since the day I got him. I did spend 2 nights on the sofa with him but after that i threw a shirt in his crate with my scent and he was fine. For the next 2 weeks after the first week I was up once, twice at most, a night to let him out to potty. I followed the no water/food rule one hour before scheduled bedtime. By the 3rd week I had him he was sleeping through the night.

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
I personally prefer to have them in a crate in my room. Sometimes they will still need to go out, even when they are bit older, if they've had an active day and had more water than usual. Besides, once they are out of the crate at night, they all sleep in the bedroom with us anyways. That's just where they prefer to sleep, near us.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
Hank has always slept in our bedroom, first crated then at about 9 mos. we let him just sleep on the floor next to the bed.

Reactions: Doug

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'm still about 4 weeks from bringing my puppy, and I plan on crating him at night. My question is for how long do you crate him before you start leaving the door open to the crate. I'd like to get to a point where he can have the option of leaving his crate and sleeping on his bed I put on the floor -- but how long does it normally take to get to that point?

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
I'm still about 4 weeks from bringing my puppy, and I plan on crating him at night. My question is for how long do you crate him before you start leaving the door open to the crate. I'd like to get to a point where he can have the option of leaving his crate and sleeping on his bed I put on the floor -- but how long does it normally take to get to that point?
It really depends on the puppy and your trust in the puppy. Maverick was probably at that point at around 5.5mo if not younger, but I wanted to make sure he was completely housebroken to make sure.

Maverick was crated every night with the door close til he was about 8mo. After that time I started leaving the door unlocked but I woke up every morning with him in the crate still. From that point I started leaving the door open just a little more each night to see and it wasn't until it was about 3/4 open that I found him on one of his dog beds outside the crate.

You can do a "test run" by when you leave the house for errands or anything, put him in the crate but leave the door open. From there build up the intervals and the trust will also be built up as well.

I like to think that if a puppy won't destroy or get into anything they're not supposed to at times they're supposed to be awake, they won't do it at times when they're sleepy and supposed to be asleep. Just make sure they're housebroken to avoid any extra chores in the morning:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts