Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.
Let me start off to say, this is not my first puppy! I have successfully crate trained many pups. This guy is a challenge, but I don't have a choice.
My pup is 14 weeks old, I got him at 12 weeks from a breeder. He was with 3 of his litter mates. The breeder had kept them to evaluate for therapy dogs. They were kept in a pen, and were handled a lot by children and adults at the breeders place of business. He had not been crated. He sleeps in his crate at night with no problems at all. Not a peep.
I also have a 2 year old golden who is not crated any longer. She is in the family room where his daytime crate is (it's plastic).
I feed him in it. I put treats in it. I have special crate only toys. I fill the kong with peanut butter or cream cheese and freeze. I had to crate him the past few days because my son was admitted to the hospital. He would go in with his treat and chew on it lick it etc... I had to leave and could not wait to see what he did. Upon returning a few hours later, I listened outside and there was no whining or yelping. I know not to run over and make letting him out a big deal. After a few minutes, he had remained calm, no whining or barking. I let him out. His paws and chest were soaking wet. This morning I didn't have to get right to the hospital and after playing outside and having plenty of freedom and playtime I put him in the crate with a treat and went into the office to work. When he was done with his treat, he started whining, and scratching at the side of the crate. I told him no from the other room and he stopped. Several minutes later I went and sat on the couch. He was panting and drooling so much water is was like a pond. I know that it is stress. But again, I have no choice, he has to be crated. I tried putting him in a child play yard a few days ago when I fed that cats. That was equally as bad, biting the spindles and bending them. Please give me any advise to help him get over this anxiety. I don't want to do harm to him with undo stress. Thanks.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Hi I fill the kong with peanut butter or cream cheese and freeze. I had to crate him the past few days because my son was admitted to the hospital. He would go in with his treat and chew on it lick it etc... I had to leave and could not wait to see what he did. Upon returning a few hours later, I listened outside and there was no whining or yelping. I know not to run over and make letting him out a big deal. After a few minutes, he had remained calm, no whining or barking. I let him out. His paws and chest were soaking wet. Several minutes later I went and sat on the couch. He was panting and drooling so much water is was like a pond. I know that it is stress. But again, I have no choice, he has to be crated. I tried putting him in a child play yard a few days ago when I fed that cats. That was equally as bad, biting the spindles and bending them. Please give me any advise to help him get over this anxiety. I don't want to do harm to him with undo stress. Thanks.

Hang in there, are you sure the drooling and puddling was not from him licking at the Kong? As that can get quite quite messy and puddle like.

Of course I always make sure they have done their business before they go in the crate or they will pant and scratch and whine to get out.

If he starts scratching and whining you can go over and tap hard on the crate and say a firm no. This helps distract them and they know what’s coming when they whine again and this helps in a lot of situations-and eventually you won’t have to keep tapping on the crate.

Hoping all goes well, of course u will get great advice on this board.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I'm not sure if this will help, but many years ago I had a Golden that hated her crate. She came from a breeder that gave them free run of her house. I ended up figuring out that the plastic style crate I had restricted her view of the room and the house. I bought a wire style crate that she could see out of and she ended up being fine. I've always used this style since then. The plastic one I had was more of a transport crate I guess, but we are going back in time a while.

There may be some others that can help more. Hope your son is better!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not sure if this will help, but many years ago I had a Golden that hated her crate. She came from a breeder that gave them free run of her house. I ended up figuring out that the plastic style crate I had restricted her view of the room and the house. I bought a wire style crate that she could see out of and she ended up being fine. I've always used this style since then. The plastic one I had was more of a transport crate I guess, but we are going back in time a while.

I have quite a collection of crates, I will give it a try. I was afraid that he may hurt himself scratching at the wire, but maybe that will deter him.
Son is better, thank you....severe food poisoning, 3 days in hospital!! :surprise:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hang in there, are you sure the drooling and puddling was not from him licking at the Kong? As that can get quite quite messy and puddle like.

Of course I always make sure they have done their business before they go in the crate or they will pant and scratch and whine to get out.

If he starts scratching and whining you can go over and tap hard on the crate and say a firm no. This helps distract them and they know what’s coming when they whine again and this helps in a lot of situations-and eventually you won’t have to keep tapping on the crate.

Hoping all goes well, of course u will get great advice on this board.
Thanks for the reply. Oh this is way more than kong drool. It's actually gross! I crated him while I was home yesterday and it's like his mouth is a faucet. He actually doesn't whine a lot, but drools. Even if I sit there next to him. This morning I crated him while I went upstairs to shower and vacuum. Again he whined only a little but when I came down...OMG. I had to rinse him off, again...gross. Funny thing is he doesn't seem upset, just wet!:grin2:
I guess this will be our way of life until he's old enough to leave out.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
If he is used to being with his litter mates, this may help sooth his anxiety:

https://www.chewy.com/smart-pet-lov...CxABkm2Zowe7pz-j_5WmKGSr9n7vOl7UaAn0wEALw_wcB

It is a large stuffed puppy, with a little device inside that simulates a heartbeat so they don't feel alone. We used this in the beginning with Denver when he was still a little anxious about the crate. He would curl up right next to it and fall to sleep.

·
Golden Ret Enthusiast
2,201 Posts
The easiest way to acclimate a puppy to a crate is put his meals and water in the create and leave the door open. Make them walk in on their own. NEVER put them in a crate. Do this for the morning meal. After the meal, put this toys in there and leave the door open. He has to go in on his own to get a toy. Your making it a toy box. So the same thing for the afternoon meal. Even treats, when you're going to give a treat show it and put it in the crate. With the evening meal close the door behind him this time and the point is to make him ignore he's in there with the door locked. Food is there. Once he's done the meal, make sure he's quite and relaxed before letting him out. This make the crate awesome! His food, water, toys and treats are in there. Do this for a couple days and they usually take to it very well.

Never feed or water in the crate when you're leaving for the day and NEVER use the crate for correction or punishment. You can use it for a timeout but you need to stay there while they settle down then praise and let them out.

·
Registered
13,236 Posts
I ended up figuring out that the plastic style crate I had restricted her view of the room and the house. I bought a wire style crate that she could see out of and she ended up being fine. I've always used this style since then. The plastic one I had was more of a transport crate I guess, but we are going back in time a while.

This was EXACTLY my experience. I had a plastic airline crate, the same one my previous dog had loved, but Shala hated it. I did keep it for her night crate, but for day, as soon as I got wire crates, things got better (slowly). I also figured out that she liked being able to see you the front window, so I moved the crate where she could do that.

She also did get a meal in her crate, which I do think helps, too, but I also spent about a week getting her used to it (for when I went back to work). I would leave for 5-10 minutes and come back, and slowly increase the time away (you have to leave the area of your house entirely, walk down the street or something). I watched her on the puppy camera, which also helped me. She howled and cried at first, but little by little, I was able to increase the time away. I realized she was better if she had something to chew (a big Nylabone) and thankfully, she only cried and howled for about 10-15 minutes tops when I left. And eventually, she didn't cry at all. She never loved her crate the way many dogs do, but she accepted it. By the time she was ready to stay out of the crate while I was gone, she actually wanted to be IN the crate. She got all upset the first time I tried to leave her out - she was like, wait, you can't leave, I'm not in the crate!! So she wound up in the crate longer than she needed to be (over a year old) and then when I was off work in the summer, I just eased it out of her life (it was a HUGE crate, so it just couldn't be a permanent thing in my smallish house. Plus, it didn't belong to me).

Anyway, hang in there. You CAN get the used to it with work and patience.

Reactions: Remy

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks to everyone who replied. I am happy to report that Ozzie is now quite comfortable in his crate. I did pull out one of the wire ones and moved the plastic one to my room where he had out grown his night time kennel. He happily runs into either one when he is asked to. Thankfully the drooling stopped and he is a very happy boy!! :smile2:
Additionally, I apologize for the delayed reply on my end. Every time I use the forum on my phone (iphone) I get sweepstakes pop-up and I have to close the page. I have tried everything to get it to stop, but that's another post!
Thanks again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
As the owner of an adult dog, this is very familiar to me and I can advise you to start taking something like kratom red bali, as it will not affect you in any way, except that it will help you calm down and accept the situation. There is nothing wrong with training and it is quite a natural process in training a dog, so you should pull yourself together and start this as early as possible, while your dog is still able to learn all the commands you set. We will always support you. With great love

1 - 11 of 11 Posts