Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you put on the bottome of the crate? I'm concerned with wash-ability, durable to withstand a puppy possibly chewing on it and yet be comfortable for a puppy. I've seen pretty expensive lambs wool looking crate fitting beds of sorts that have a cushion type bumper border going around it. Not sure if a towel or blanket is good. I thought of a bathroom type of rug, but then thought the puppy would chew on the shaggy material fibers and since it's probably imported from China, not a safe idea. Perhaps a thicker towel-type material bath mat would work? It might hold up better.

·
Registered
306 Posts
i bought a crate liner at wal-mart for maybe 10 bucks. same concept as the wool one, only furry instead.

before that, we used flat but comfy outdoor (so they're stain/moisture resistant) patio chair cushions with her favorite blanket inside.

·
chew chew chew
3,571 Posts
I usually just toss in an old towel, I find more often than not they push it out of the way and sleep on the bare crate bottom. The more bedding you put in, the more clean up you may end up doing and they can also bury a mess and think that's fine too. I don't put in anything with stuffing or carpet since they can eat the fiber or the strings and cause a lot of damage to themselves.

If you go to a thrift shop you can often get a bunch of towels if you don't have any you want to get rid of. When they are older, bring on the cushy beds!

Lana

·
Registered
643 Posts
I put an old towel (hand sized) in Josie's crate. Usually she pushes it out of the way, but once in a while she'll use it like a pillow. Once in a while she'll chew on a corner of it, but not so much that she'll eat it. Mostly she likes to sleep on cold hard surfaces (the crate pan, hardwood floor, tile, etc). Crazy dog, doesn't she know how cold it is?

·
Chester & Murphy's Mom
7,464 Posts
I sewed pads from prequilted fabric...just sewed a edge all the way around so it wouldn't fray. I made 2 for each crate and toss in wash once a week or so. Chester will drag his out of his crate when he wants to lay on the plastic floor ( I guess if he gets hot).

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
I use an old quilt in Hank's crate. He's never peed/pooped in his crate so I've only washed it once or twice. He's not a chewer.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I put a big fluffy comforter in Murphy's crate. We weren't going to use it again. He's never had an accident and never chews on it.

·
Tess and Liza
6,075 Posts
http://www.carealotpets.com/dog-cages-crates-carriers-accessories/

I bought the cratewear set. I had to remake the cover, because we use the side door in the crate, but it's very nice. Tess also has a big doggy stuffy in her crate. The breeder had the same dog while she was there, she does play with it (takes it outside her crate to wrestle), but inside the crate she lies on it. So far she hasn't chewed anything in her crate.

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
I use old towels with new pups since the chewing urge often takes them over. I tuck the edges of a big towel under the crate bottom so it doesn't move much, then I roll up smaller ones to make bumpers around the edges. The pups often move stuff around anyway, and in those first few months, the potential for an accident and chewing is pretty high.

When I decided Comet was ready for a crate pad, I spent $40 on one and he ruined it in 15 minutes.

With Jax, I put Comet's old dog bed in with him since Comet was upgraded to a nice LL Bean one next to our bed, and Jax ripped the old dog bed up in about a day.

So, my policy now with adolescent dogs is a bare crate floor. They really seem to dig it, and as Bender pointed out, they often push other stuff out of the way so they can.

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
If Gilmour is any indication, Fireplace Slate would work just dandy :)

What do you put on the bottome of the crate? I'm concerned with wash-ability, durable to withstand a puppy possibly chewing on it and yet be comfortable for a puppy. I've seen pretty expensive lambs wool looking crate fitting beds of sorts that have a cushion type bumper border going around it. Not sure if a towel or blanket is good. I thought of a bathroom type of rug, but then thought the puppy would chew on the shaggy material fibers and since it's probably imported from China, not a safe idea. Perhaps a thicker towel-type material bath mat would work? It might hold up better.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts