Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a used,(albiet in good-as-new-condition)crate. It's a black wire crate with the black pan underneath. What would you suggest a good way to give it a good thorough cleaning would be? Diluted bleach? Good old dish soap and water? A girl I work with who already had a weimereiner(can't spell that one) and then she impulsively bought a German Short-hair pointer at the mall. She bought this crate and then ended up relinquishing the dog to a rescue for German Shorthair Pointers, since it was just too much. Anyway, the crate is the right size and is in great shape. She didn't have it long enough to hardly use it. It's never been outside, so it's not weather beaten, rusty or have any metal paint peeling off of the wires. There are a few dog hairs here and there and I want to have it nice and clean. We are picking up our puppy in 3 weeks and 5 days but who's counting and I want everything ready for when we pick up our little darling.
Your thoughts, suggestions, ideas are so welcome and truly appreciated.
Thanks so much
~Blondie~

·
Chester & Murphy's Mom
7,464 Posts
If it was me...being winter I would put the pan of the crate in the tub/shower and soak with bleach a good scrubing then rinse well and air dry. The wire part of the crate would get a good spray of bleach and also air dry before using it. (You might wanted to line the tub with an old towel so it won't get scratched.) You are lucking you found a good used crate....any money saved you can spend on your puppy. :)

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
unless the pet-store-puppy was seriously ill.....a good scrubbing is fine.....perhaps a bit more then dish soap...something like Lysol floor/kitchen cleaner...bleach works too!

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Puppy store puppy was not ill. My friend just couldn't handle the comittment of the additional puppy with housetraining with three kids and a husband and her other dog. I paid $20.00 for it. I've got the elbow grease to clean it and make it a nice condo for our little cherub!
Thanks for the tips! I had thought about cleaning it in the tub and putting a layer down to protect the tub. I could also find a sunny dry melted spot on my driveway from the recent snow storm to clean it outiside with a scrub brush and a bucket of bleach water or lysol and rinse well and let air dry before the next snow storm comes our way. It'll give me something to do on my day off.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts