Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering how people use their crates and foldable wire enclosures? I am thinking that the wire enclosures are mainly to keep the pups in a secure larger area, but not so much for sleeping? I don't really know so that is why I am asking. I know crate training is good for potty training and being able to keep puppies safe and secure. What are your thoughts about this?

·
Tess and Liza
6,075 Posts
I have a wire crate for Tess (9 1/2 weeks). She sleeps there at night, and I put her there when I have to go out or do things upstairs or outside and can't watch her. During daytime the crate is usually open, but the funny thing is, that she goes there herself to sleep or have some quiet time after playing or eating. She really sees it as "her" space and seems very happy to have it.

·
Registered
643 Posts
We are using a crate for Josie and its the best thing ever! Its where she sleeps, where she goes when we go out (sometimes she naps, sometimes she gets something to chew on), and its the best when she gets fresh and bitey and overwhelmed - 10 minutes away from the hubbub and she calms right down, and is much nicer to be around. I never worry what she's getting into while I'm out, and she feels safe too. I know she likes it - if I leave the kitchen when she's awake, she cries. She never cries in the crate. I hope she loves it forever!:)

·
Registered
869 Posts
Both of mine use the wire crates. I usually throw a blanket over the to too to make it more "cozy". I use mine to start out for potty training. Anytime I can't be watching the little ones they are in the crate. Kept very small at teh beginning. I section off a bigger crate. As they are more "trustworthy" they spend more & more time out of the crate. At the moment, both of mine still sleep in their crate & are there when we have to leave. They are not sectioned anymore so they have more room. This is to protect then from getting into stuff while we are away.
You should take their collars off in the crate, so there is no chance of getting caught.
During the day now mine are both out most the time, unless i need a break. They actually will go in it & take a nap, sometimes.
Make it a positive experienece. Not as a punishment.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts