Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I have had my new puppy since Saturday. It has been a llllooonnngggg time since I have had a puppy. The first two nights we crated him. He screamed like he was dying. I know this is normal. But....he messed all over it. Smeared it everywhere. I felt so bad! The last two nights I put him in the bathroom with his crate and a pee pee pad. He didn't cry once, and went on his pee pad. He was sound asleep when I went in in the morning. However I know the bathroom is not practical. I was thinking about getting an exercise pen to take the place of the bathroom. That way I could also put him in it when I am doing housework etc. I am currently not working so I am home with him all the time and he gets a ton of exercise and attention. However when I go back to work, 8 hours in the day and night just seem cruel. I know they say kennels are the best....but are they the best for everyone. I have to admit I have never crate trained. My last puppy was so long ago. Please no harsh answers. I am truly looking for constructive help for what is best for my puppy. I love him to death, and want to be a great puppy mom.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
I'm not sure about the screaming. Neither of my pups did this. Maddie flipped out when I switched her from her soft crate downstairs to the wire crate upstairs. I sat with her while she cried. I finally dragged the soft crate upstairs until she had time to adjust to the wire one.

I have heard others comment about upset dogs though.

I LOVED crate training for a puppy, but then my dogs were okay with it. And I got to keep my sanity by having a few hours during the day to myself.

Maddie goes to doggie day care during the day. We're all happier for it, but it is pricey.

I'm looking forward too to others comments.

·
Human to Maximus
219 Posts
Hi. I have had my new puppy since Saturday. It has been a llllooonnngggg time since I have had a puppy. The first two nights we crated him. He screamed like he was dying. I know this is normal. But....he messed all over it. Smeared it everywhere. I felt so bad! The last two nights I put him in the bathroom with his crate and a pee pee pad. He didn't cry once, and went on his pee pad. He was sound asleep when I went in in the morning. However I know the bathroom is not practical. I was thinking about getting an exercise pen to take the place of the bathroom. That way I could also put him in it when I am doing housework etc. I am currently not working so I am home with him all the time and he gets a ton of exercise and attention. However when I go back to work, 8 hours in the day and night just seem cruel. I know they say kennels are the best....but are they the best for everyone. I have to admit I have never crate trained. My last puppy was so long ago. Please no harsh answers. I am truly looking for constructive help for what is best for my puppy. I love him to death, and want to be a great puppy mom.
Since you didn't mention it in the post, are you taking him out to potty every 2 hours during the night also? Puppies that young can't hold it all night yet. Your puppy could be crying and whining because he does need to relieve himself. He also hasn't made the crate his "den" yet. His room. Once that is established, he will do anything he can to keep from eliminating in it. Start feeding him in his crate - you don't have to shut the door. Put treats in there and make it a happy place for him. Do things so that he starts associating his crate as his den/room.

When we brought Maximus home, he was 8 weeks. And I know we had an easier time with the crate training than some others. But here is what we did. I put a t-shirt of mine that I had been wearing in the crate so he could still smell me. We limited water intake for an hour or so before bedtime. We took him outside during the night to potty, then it was right back in the crate. Potty time during the night was just for doing our business and not playing or snuggling. Maximus whined for a little bit the first couple of nights, but then he just settled down and went to sleep.

Puppies that age are easy to wear out, so you might also try playing with him right before bedtime to make him tired too. :)

I'll be happy to answer more questions from my personal experience if you have them, but I'm not an expert. You will find a TON of helpful and loving people on this forum though. Good luck! :wavey:

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Darcylee...thanks so much! So you would say crate over pen? I did not get up every two hours, inexperience with this..I was a bad mommy. Do I still put the pee pad in the crate or just make it really comfy and cozy for him? He did make it all night in the bathroom last night without pooping, I fed him a little earlier so this may be why. As he gets older, does he need to come out less often? How do I need when to let the length of time get farther apart? Sorry to ask so many question...its just so new to me, but I want to do the right thing. It feels so mean to me, but I know that everyone says its not...I just have to get that through my head. I may still go buy and excersise pen to keep him contained in the day sometimes. Also...what happens when I go back to work and no one is home for 8 hours? :(

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
IMHO crates do not suit everyone. If it works for your pup great if not there are other ways of keeping making it work. We have never used crates.

Like you, we used our bathroom which is attached to our bedroom. It wasn't long before we puppy proofed a laundry room for when we went to work, and then the house. He had the room to run and play at an early age. We have not seen any destructive or out of control behaviours that often result from boredom or a lack of manners from not knowing how to behave in a normal house.

Every dog is different but you can set your dog up for success by making the house safe, provide constant consistent attention to guide the way and expose him to as many family activities for mental stimulation and you will raise a well balanced best buddy.

·
Wyatt Earp
3,595 Posts
We have had 2 goldens and neither one of them were crated. We used the x-pen. We sat it up in the middle of the family room and that is where Wyatt slept and also where we put him when we couldn't watch him 24/7. As he got older we used baby gates to keep him confined in the kitchen, then continued with the baby gates into the family room. As he matured he got more and more freedom until one day he just got it and all the gates came down.

While we were at work he was confined inside until he got about 7 months. After that and to this day he is outside in our backyard while we work. I don't have the heart to confine him inside all day.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I would think that is a good sign that your puppy went on the pee pad -- at least it sounds better than how you described the nights in the crate. I have also read, as someone posted already, that they need to be taken out to potty frequently, even throughout the night. I will be interested to read what those who are more experienced have to say and defer to their expertise.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you so much. The last dogs I had also spent a lot of time outside in our fenced yard. I lived in Texas then and have just moved to Indiana, so due to the winters here that will not be possible. Another reason this is a new experience for me...lol. He is such a smart little guy. He went to the vet today and they said he looks great! We love him to death already. Well you all had me convinced on the crate until the next messages, hmmmm....decisions, decisions....

·
Human to Maximus
219 Posts
Darcylee...thanks so much! So you would say crate over pen? I did not get up every two hours, inexperience with this..I was a bad mommy. Do I still put the pee pad in the crate or just make it really comfy and cozy for him? He did make it all night in the bathroom last night without pooping, I fed him a little earlier so this may be why. As he gets older, does he need to come out less often? How do I need when to let the length of time get farther apart? Sorry to ask so many question...its just so new to me, but I want to do the right thing. It feels so mean to me, but I know that everyone says its not...I just have to get that through my head. I may still go buy and excersise pen to keep him contained in the day sometimes. Also...what happens when I go back to work and no one is home for 8 hours? :(
I wouldn't say crate over pen. You will have to see what works best with your situation and your puppy. But since you do have the crate already, you might give him a little longer to establish it as his den. They do work wonders with potty training, plus they keep him safe during times when you're not there or not monitoring him. As a side note, please remember to remove his collar before crating him - it can be a hazard if it gets caught.

Also, if you start feeding him in his crate and putting treats in his crate for him to find (the magic crate!), you might also progress to having him nap in there for a short time during the day. He will most likely adjust well to the crate. The hard thing for me was the times if Maximus whined (and not a "need to go potty whine"), you had to ignore him. If you come and get him out right away, it just teaches him that he should whine or bark to get out. While in there, when he stops whining/crying/barking, go and give him a treat. He will soon pick up on what is expected - they're smart puppies!

You will find differing opinions on using pee pads (as with everything else!). A lot of people say you should have the crate divided so the puppy just has enough room to turn around and lay down. This is supposed to help with him not wanting to eliminate in it, as it is the place he sleeps. We never did this, and in our experience, Maximus never eliminated in his crate. Ever. I put a small bed on one side and a pee pad on the other in the night. He never used the pad. He would just pick it up and move it so he could lay down on the cool plastic bottom. :bowl:

The "rule" is you allow one hour for every month of age. So if the puppy is 2 months, they can hold it for 2 hours. And so forth. At night it's a little different. Like our bodies, we can usually hold it a bit longer. But limiting his water intake an hour or so before bedtime will also help with that.

An exercise pen would still be awesome to use when you can't watch him 100% during the day.

As for when you go back to work, I would see if someone can come let him out at lunch, etc. Maybe take him for a walk or play a quick game of ball. If you or your family can't do that, can you find a dog walker or a neighbor that can come help? 8 hours is just a long time for a puppy to be left alone during the day.

Also, since we're on the sort of subject of potty training, remember to have a little party every time you take him outside and he does his business. :) Use your phrase "do your business", "go potty", "tinkle time", whatever and give lots of praise and maybe a treat right away. :) As you feed him on a schedule, you will also be able to predict when he needs to poop too.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
When Hank was little he was crated at night in our bedroom. I didn't set an alarm but since he was right there I could hear him stir and could whisk him outside. No playing, no talking other than praise and a small treat when he went, then back in the crate. After about a week or two he was usually sleeping through the night.

I wouldn't put pee pads in the crate, that's his "den" and he'll want to keep it clean.
Actually, I wouldn't use pee pads at all. I like to teach new puppies that ALL peeing/pooping is done outdoors ALL the time.

I don't think it's an 'either/or' thing with crate/x-pens/baby gates. Whatever works with your home set-up is best. We used a crate at night and gates (kitchen and laundry room) during the day. We stopped crating around 8 mos. and took the gates down around 1 yr. It really depends on the dog.

·
Registered
7,399 Posts
We were really lucky with Duke. We got him at 8 weeks and for the first couple of weeks, we'd take him out 2-3 times a night. He just transitioned pretty easily. He loves his kennel (we always give him a treat when he goes in there). He actually has two kennels - one upstairs for breaks during the day and one in our basement office - he prefers the basement kennel. We have a bedroom downstairs so he's not in the basement alone and that's where he's most comfortable. He has gone to daycare since he was 9 weeks old so he's pretty tired at night and sleeps pretty soundly. It's pricey but it's made a world of difference in his training and socialization. :)

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
:)Thanks....everyone is being so helpful. It's so nice to hear others stories, and ideas. I think no matter what I do, baby gates or xpen is going to happen for sure. It's been so long since I have had a little guy and I am having trouble not letting him control my life....lol. I feel like I can't leave the room when he awake! My housecleaning and laundry are suffering...hehe. Thanks again...and I look forward to more replies!

·
Simba
22 Posts
We started crating Simba in our room for the first few weeks. It was easier since we could hear him wake up and move around, and for him, he knew that we weren't far away. He didn't take well to the mesh crate at all, so we went right to a metal one. You'll have to gauge whether or not to crate him, or confine him to a room at night. I liked the idea of the crate since he knows its his territory.. At 7 months, when I clean / replace his blankets, he follows me right in to make sure I'm not messing up his home!

I'd also take the pee pads out (we never used them to be honest). IMO it just encourages them to go inside of the house. We also have hardwoods, so cleanup isn't too bad at all. We just went out every 45 minutes or so for the first month, and if it was during play, it was every 20 minutes. After each pee/poop outside he was rewarded with a nice treat. It only took a week or so before he would run to the door. We have got lucky that he hasn't gone #2 ever inside, but at 7 months he has one #1 accident a month, mostly due to us missing his cue (usually right after indoor play). We still take him out every 45mins to an hour if he has to stay inside.

Good luck :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts