Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Oliver is almost 4 months old. We came a long way in crate training. He now spends the whole night in there without complaining. But recently he developed a habit. He barks and yelps when it's time to come out in the morning. He does that when he hears our alarm going off or us waking up.

I wonder what we should do. He's supposedly coming out in a few minutes anyway. But we end up not taking him out immediately because this means we're reacting to his barking. We ask him to stop and only take him out when he's calmed. But he's not getting it and he keeps doing that every day. Ignoring him doesn't seem to work either.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Your pup is under 20 weeks old and sleeping through the night. That he has that much bladder control is great. My perspective on the barking piece would be that he has held his bladder for 6 or more hours, let him out. In particular if this is the only time he is demand barking.

·
Loving Mommy of Kiner <3
239 Posts
Kiner does the same thing/ he sleeps through the night without fuss (he will be 5 months on June 17th) but when he hears us he barks with excitement- goes right to the door to go potty so I say let him out he's waited long enough :)

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
If you want to train him to wait, wait until he stops barking to take a breath then begin to open the door. When he starts again, close it quickly. Don't speak, just don't let him have what he wants. When he's quiet for a few seconds, let him out. It may take a few times but he will get the idea. But if you feel as others have said hat he's bursting and desperately needs to go out, just let him. :)

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
Ben does that at around 6 AM, he is 6.5 months old, he is usually hungry at that time. I let him out since I am getting up anyway. It has never had an impact on his crate training, he goes in it willingly and goes to sleep at night or when we are not home.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Holly does this when I get home from work... she doesn't want to wait for me to change out of my work clothes.

One of the best training things I've done for my dogs is training them on how to exit the crate.

It takes a bit of patience and a LOT of practice... but it works wonders.

When I approach the crate, and put my hand on the latch, Holly must sit. I then open the door. She has to wait (seated) until I tell her "release" at which she can exit the crate.

If she doesn't sit, I walk away.

If she tries to get up from her sit, I shut the door in her face.

I never thought this could happen... but I can now put a pile of treats outside of her crate, and open the door, and she'll just sit there. Mind you, her butt is twitching, but she is restraining herself. I'm very proud of her.

·
Registered
13,236 Posts
When Shala was very new, if she was crying in the night because she needed to go out, I opened the crate and took her right away. But in the morning, she had to wait a minute or two until I got up and got dressed - and if she was crying and impatient, she had to stop before I would open the crate. She wouldn't start to cry until the radio came on, but once it did, all bets were off. She was like, "I know the alarm went off - let me out!" I ignored the crying - no negative or positive reaction to it - and she would usually stop as I approached the crate. I would ask for a sit so there was something that separated the crying and me opening the crate. She had to sit and be calm for a few seconds before I opened the door. It worked, and the morning crying stopped.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts