Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I got Jacey a new cushion mat for her crate. She still sleeps in there at night and I thought she'd like something softer to lay on while she's in there instead of the just the regular bottom of the crate. Well she likes to chew on it and has already gotten it torn a little bit so I took it out for now so she can't ruin it completely. Would it be ok to try some of that bitter apple spray in the places where she's chewing to try and get her to stop? I figure that cushion mat has to be more comfortable than the regular pan looking bottom of the crate. I put off getting one for a long time because of her tearing her toys and stuff she can have apart but I thought I'd give it a go.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
My Bama hated anything in his crate to lay on. Take it out till he gets alittle older, assuming he is a puppy. Dogs dont mind laying on the pan in the bottom. My Daisy is 8 and still sleeps in her crate on the pan. Even sleeps on her back in there.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, the main reason I got the pad for the bottom of the crate is for when we're in the SUV. Most of the time when we're going somewhere Jacey will just stand in her crate instead of lying down, and then when we go around a curve or make a turn it's like nails on a chalk board when she slides around. I was just hoping I could keep the pad in there all of the time.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
We never put anything in Tucker's crate when he was a puppy since he would chew on anything we put in there and we were worried about him ingesting large pieces of material. We tried a crate pad when we first brought him home, but that only lasted a couple of weeks. We then tried blankets, but had the same result. We never put anything else in there after that. He was perfectly content sleeping on the bare plastic bottom.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts