Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are having trouble getting Layla to go in to her kennel when it is time for us to go to work. Every morning when we are getting ready for work Layla looks depressed and gives us her big sad puppy eyes... When it is time for her to go to her kennel she runs away from us, lays on the floor and acts like a brick. We have tried giving her treats, filling her kong with peanut butter, my wife has even gone in the kennel and spent time with her! (it is an extra large wire kennel, I got a picture of her and the dog locked in it, priceless). Any ideas on how we can turn her kennel in to a friendly place for her? We do leave a couple of toys in there with her while we are gone.

·
Misty & Holly's Mom :)
8,164 Posts
I dont knwo if I can be of any help, but I wanted to make sure that this stayed at the top. When my daughter first got her puppy she would get her to go in the crate by having a treat in her hand and calling her and kind of leading her puppy in with the treat in her hand, then she would give her treats while in there and talked nice to her..but she would leave the door open. After a while she would close the door with her in there but not lock it, and she would give her treats through the door. This seemed to work with her puppy. She never had any rpoblems with the crate. Good luck..and im sure there are others with better advice than this....I also think there are other threads about this with good advice. Godd luck..I know it will get betteo

·
Registered
154 Posts
You could start feeding her in the crate? The crate might be too big, if you aren't sectioning it off. Maybe it doesn't feel cozy and safe? How old is your puppy? A lot of times we simply pick Bailey up and put her in the crate, rather than trying to guide her in, or wait for her to head in on her own.

Not much advice past that...Bailey's never had any problems with the crate. She doesn't go in there by herself all that much, but she never seems upset when we put her in there.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Layla is 7 1/2 months old. Feeding her in the crate might be a good idea. The crate is very large, we wanted to give her extra room to move around while she is in there. There is a partition we can put in there to block part of it off. As far as treats, we have tried leading her in the crate by offering treats but she has that figured out. She will not follow us for the treat when she knows what it is for. We can try feeding her in the crate and hopefully that helps.

Thanks,

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
I was wondering how long she is in there for? If it is for quite long stretches while you are at work then she could dislike it as it is lonely and boring in there. Is she well exercised before she is put in the crate?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
She is typically in her crate for 4 hours, 5 at the most. One of us always comes home for lunch to let her out and let her run around for a little bit. We do let her run around our yard for a little while before we put her in the crate. One thing that I am afraid of is the possibility of her having seperation anxiety or issues. She is extremely spoiled and always around us so I am worried she just hates us leaving that much and acts up because of it.

·
Marcy
8,914 Posts
Do you use a high value treat and throw it in the kennel (I used dried liver)? Do you have a pretty set routine when she knows when you will get home? Does she get to sleep with you at night? How much exercise does she get?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts