Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is probably near Jack's birthday. I found him 02/07/2007 and he was about 8 - 9 weeks old.
He was starved, full of worms and had rickets. His right front leg still looks bad, but he had no problem running, jumping and going on trail rides.

I was only going to keep him until I found him a good home......
All my other dogs have been adult rescues. Jack was an amazingly easy puppy and loved Copper from the start.;)

He is obviously part Bassett, but anybody's guess abut the rest. He is about 4.5' from nose to tip of tail, about 15" tall and 45 pounds.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He's too big for Doxi/Bassett I believe, but I am not really "up" on any breeds. I thought he was a dappled dachsund (sp?) when I found him because of the merle coloring. A friend had to point out the size of his feet to clue me in.

He is almost the size of a bassett, but his chest is not as deep and his ears are too high up on his head. He sure has a big hound bay and absolutely loves to raise sand at the woods critters around our house.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Miscellaneous pics.
1. Dog tired after a long trail ride last year
2. the cat is "bruiser". Jack brought him home from the woods the first summer I believe. they have been best friends ever since.
3. that was a really long ride Mom!
4. Jack and copper on a trail ride last spring. His ears look like Nestor on that one.:p:

He looks funny, but I love him just the same.:)

Attachments

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
I personally think he is absolutely adorable! Maybe a standard (is there such a thing) Doxie mixed with Basset? That profile view of him looks really Doxie to me.

·
Misty & Holly's Mom :)
8,164 Posts
what a cutie!!!! :D

·
Momma to angel Cody
5,044 Posts
He's adorable, and I agree with Doxi/Bassett cross. Forty-five pounds would be about right for that mix. How cute that he brought home a kitty as his own pet:)

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'll try to get another profile view. If there is a standard doxie maybe he is that and not Bassett? He is a little roman nosed.

I "stole" him from somewhere, but won't tell the previous owner that. He was in jail at the time and I don't know if anyonw was taking care of Jack.

Attachments

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
He is such a cutie.

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
DH thinks Jack is "hideous". He told me that again tonight.
Of course I think DH likes to aggravate me and I shall ignore his opinion.

Jack's head is a little big for his body, but overall I think he is cute.

When he gets excited (by someone petting him, a treat or one of the cats deigning to play with him) he wiggles so hard his head almost touches his tail and that is saying something!

His eyes are the prettiest part of him. I read that Doxie's have almond shaped eyes. Hmmmmm. maybe he does have some doxie in him.

Mostly heinz 57 mutt, but he is a sweetheart. Copper would prefer to be an only child though.:uhoh:

·
Mom to Bailey & Burgundy
4,217 Posts
If it weren't for the legs and feet - I wouldn't see much Bassett in him... But whatever he is, he is adorable, and I can tell he is a wonderful addition to your family :)

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
After looking at the dachsunds I believe his face and head does look more like them than Bassetts, but he sure is big for a doxie cross.

His feet are as big as my hand!

Oh well, he's my cute little buddy and I will never know what he really is.

·
Kathy mom to Jasper
807 Posts
He does look like a standard doxie. We have one and his face looks like are Penny's. Happy b-day. He's a cutie!

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm bumping this up. Jack now has some big feet to fill.:( We shall see if he is up to it.

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
I am so glad you bumped this! I have never seen this thread. Jack was a really cute puppy :) Great photos. I see so many people up here with adopted rescues from down south and get asked what I think he or she might be. Doesn't really matter I say, looks like you have a great friend there.:)

And Jack certainly does have some mighty big shoes to fill.

·
Knife Swallower
6,783 Posts
Aw, he is certainly a cutie-pie. I remember seeing pics of him before but I have to say again how adorable he is. I especially love the ones of him with the cats. What a sweetie...

There's probably a "big feet to fill - good thing he has big paws" joke here but I won't go there yet.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts