Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Mum to Custard
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What sorts of products do you use with your golden retrievers to keep their skin and coats happy, healthy, and shiney? I've heard Cowboy Magic is a good choice for shampoo, detangler, and shine spray. Any experience with that line?

Thank you!
Sarah

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Redwoods

RedWoofs

We have Tonka and Tucker groomed every 3 months-not sure what the groomer uses.

Does Duncan like to be brushed? I am sure that is good for their coat, too!

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
We have the shampoo and also the detangler. It is pricey ($20 or so for the bottle), but a little goes a long way, so it should last quite some time.

I put a little detangler on Cookie before heading when I know we will be getting wet and muddy. It seems to make her easier to clean up, and I like the smell.

It is some slippery stuff, so be careful that you don't let the dog get it on the floor. :doh:

·
Mum to Custard
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
RedWoofs

We have Tonka and Tucker groomed every 3 months-not sure what the groomer uses.

Does Duncan like to be brushed? I am sure that is good for their coat, too!
Duncan likes to be touched and paid attention to so I"m guessing he might like brushing. I got down on the floor last night and tried, and he was so darned happy i was on his level he just whacked me right over in joy. This may be a 2 person endeavour! I notied his fur on his tail needs brushing and the feathery leg bits so I'm going to brush those areas tonight before he goes in to the vet tomorrow. The vet said don't wash him yet, but I want to be ready when we can :) He has pretty fur!! It's got gleamy bits in it. I'm used to darker goldens, and Duncan is light

·
Registered
4,904 Posts
I LOVE COWBOY MAGIC!!!! I use the shampoo, conditioner, detangler and shine. I do not use the spray, not necessary with the detangler and shine. That can be applied to a wet or dry dog and work just fine. The only thing is make sure you don't get too much on at once, put a little in your hands, rub together, rub into dogs hair. I use pretty much only on thighs, tails and arm feathers, no where else. It will make their hair shiny (almost with a glitter look) and sleek to the touch. Washes out easy if necessary.

I have also used it on horses for YEARS!!!!!

Reactions: RedWoofs

·
Chelsea
842 Posts
I've started using the Cowboy Magic Rosewater conditioner. I also mix a couple drops with water and spray Sadie down with it before I brush her.

For shampoo i've been using Earthbath Mango Tango and MicroTek Shampoo.

·
Mum to Custard
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A healthy well fed dog who gets exercise and is brushed regularly will have a good coat naturally.
He's not healthy, can't exercise and hasn't been cared for, but we hope this new life will find him healthy, and happy. We've already started mixing in better food and giving vitamins.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts