Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
#1 - Yesterday while mowing my rental property lawn (next door), shadow found a rabbit burrow. I didn't realize it until I saw her playing with something. Went to investigate and saw the baby rabbit she was just having the time of her life with. Paw it around a little, throw it up in the air, grab it and run around, and repeat. After about 5 minutes, I was able to get close enough to step between her and rabbit when she threw it into the air. Rabbit still breathing and no outward signs of injury, so I put it back in the nest and cover the nest to keep her out of it the rest of the day. Last night, I kept an eye out on the nest with a flashlight and saw mommy rabbit show up at 1:15 am. Checked on them this am and all appears to be fine. Amazing!!! :crossfing

#2- Tonight, had some of my special pizza burgers. Awesome. Well Shadow has been counter surfing lately, but only for towels/rags. Well tonight she got quiet (always trouble). Went into kitchen and found that Shadow had enjoyed not 1 but 2 of them. Onions. cheese, sauce and all. Didn't even leave a mess, only know how many she had by process of subtraction. Guess we just have to be more careful. :)

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
Sounds like you have a very normal golden there. I have a counter surfer here too. Caue once cleaned a pan of mushroom and onions that was destined go go on my steak one night. He had no ill effects from the onions if that gives you any comfort.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would call your vet. Onions are toxic to dogs and can cause Heinz body anemia. Better safe than sorry IMO.

Just read up on onion toxicity. Thanks for the heads up. I did not know about onions and dogs. It said that 600-800 grams (21-29 ounces) at a weight of 25 pounds is the starting point for toxicity. She should be OK with the couple of slices she ate and at 37 pounds, but will watch out for the vomiting. Thanks again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts