Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're moving to a few acres in a country-ish area. (30 min. away from any type of store - convenience or anything). The entire property is chain-link fenced with a 5 or 6 ft. all the way around. There is a pond but the fence is gated off with the same type of fence. I have 2 issues that I want to know how to correct now so that when we move we know how to deal with it right away if he tries it (and he may not try which would be great but I'd rather be prepared)

Jumping the fence? I've heard of dogs jumping tall fences. I'd imagine that Buddy could. He will be 1 year old on Dec 2. He's never tried to dig out (but will dig a hole to lay in?) and he's never tried to jump our privacy fence. But I worry that since he can see stuff on the other side of the fence that he may try to do it. How would you correct this?

Also, the neighbor's chicken somehow was in our property the other day when we went out there. Is that normal for chickens to jump that high of a fence? I'm wondering if there is a break in the fence somewhere? Eek. But since he can see the chickens in the property behind us, I'm wondering if he will try to go insane after them? Will he get used to them and stop trying to get to them? And what happens if they get into our property? How do you teach a dog to leave something that fun alone? lol

Any tips and tricks for this are appreciated. We've never moved with a dog and we've never lived in the middle of nowhere, as my 8 year old calls it. And any other info on moving or living in the country with a golden is appreciated. Thanks.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
We live in a semi rural area on 10 acres. Our backyard is fenced plus we have an invisible fence on about 1.5 acres. It works great. None of our dogs have ever jumped the wood fence.

As for the chickens, they probably didn't jump the fence, they can fly short distances.

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
your place sounds wonderful! I'm sure you'll be getting intelligent advice, but I'd imagine he'll be getting used to the chix if he sees them all the time.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Most chickens can easily get over a 5-6' fence so I doubt there is a break (but I'd walk the fence carefully to check before letting the dogs out). I wouldn't be too worried about the chickens-mine learned quite quickly to stay out of the dogs' yard (or leave as soon as they hear the dogs coming!). I love living out in the middle of nowhere!

·
Registered
10,488 Posts
Most Goldens won't jump a 5 or 6 foot fence, although there is the odd one here and there that may try to climb it. Mine are more likely to try to dig under the fence but as long as there is a bottom bar on the fence, digging under is very difficult.

The chickens most likely flew over. I am not sure they learn-my friend Yvette periodically loses chickens who wander too close to the Corgi yard, or even fly into it for whatever reason.

I agree with walking the fence-I always walk my fence line before letting the dogs out, but that is farm fence, not chain link. I think an occasional walk should suffice for you. I've had trees fall on my fence and had to pull them off or have a neighbor cut them off for me, and a bear tried to go over my fence and did some damage. Other than that, chain link is pretty tough.

·
Registered
10,488 Posts
Oh, and my old girl Scarlet would walk fences (chain link included) and look for weaknesses. With chain link and a bottom bar, she would look for places where the fence and the ground didn't meet, and she would dig. With other fences, she would walk and lean heavily on the fence, looking for weak spots she could exploit. And she was a master at unlocking fence gates :(

·
Charlotte
6,143 Posts
i think it depends on the dog's personality. My Jess would never challenge our fence or even a baby gate, but i've seen my son's dog leap the gate without stopping for a breath. You'll just have to see how he reacts.
Lucky you to be moving out to the country.
BTW, I just noticed that Buddy has the same bithday as Jess, Feb 12, 2010.

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
Mine are doing fine with our chain link and cross my fingers are digging in the middle of the yard, not close to the fence line. The chickens will learn to stay on their side or the fence or do a major fly back to their yard when the dogs come out. I always peek outside early in the morning to make sure their are none in the yard before I let the dogs out. So far..no dead chickens, but I am sure if a dumb chicken is caught, it will be his last time to fly over the fence. Uck!

Have fun in the country, our little farm is very secluded and I love it that way. It gives us so much more freedom with our dogs that they don't get in town. Enjoy, the best is yet to come!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm glad to hear that the chickens can fly back out - I really did not know that chickens can fly (yes, this suburban girl has a ton to learn about living without a Target or grocery store nearby lol). Thanks for the info on what to look for that may appeal to Buddy to try and get out. We are going to keep a lock on the gates so he won't be able to open them because we have kids and I don't like them being able to open it without us. It will make leaving the house a bit more difficult since the front yard is fenced in with the rest of the property but it will give me a little bit of peace to know that they can't get out even if they were to sneak out of the door - we'd find them before a car would. lol. I think Buddy is going to love it with so much land to run. Our backyard now is pretty large for a suburban neighborhood but it's nothing like the backyard at the new place. We are really excited since the new place has everything we need (we're downgrading in the sense of going from a 5/3 house to a 3/3 trailer but the land is sooo worth it). It has a huge 4 car garage workshop for my husband (we don't use the garage for anything other than storage and hubby's hobby stuff) and it has a big carport looking thing for a boat but since we don't have a boat the huge concrete slab is perfect for bikes and scooters. And Buddy is probably going to spend 70% of his day sunning on the back deck. In fact, I think he'll be a more tired pup since he'll probably be running outside with the kids more often since the house is smaller. haha

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
You will love it there I bet. Just have to change your way of thinking a bit. When I am out, I stop and get everything I need cause the nearest store is 30 min away. Just make every outing count and I buy a full weeks worth of food & dog food at a time so I don't make unnecessary trips. It helps at first to try to also plan your day. I found I had more free time and though I had lots to do, just couldn't get myself to do it. So made me a weekly plan like #1 Plan for a garden and start clearing, #2 set up an area for a flower garden, etc. Kept me focused and no time to miss the city.

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
I think that the suggestion of invisible fence is good. You can either use it around the whole fenced in area or just a smaller section that would be cheaper.

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
We got our invisible fence from these people. Installation was easy, just part the grass the way you'd part hair and pin the wire to the ground. Lawn mower rides well over the top.

And I wanted to say if you're 30 minutes from getting milk and bread, there's nothing 'ish' about it...you're out in the country.

Pet Fencing | In-Ground | PetSafe

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
LOL! So true, I guess because I'm still considered Jacksonville, I feel like I'm still in a city. I'll still be going "into town" every week day since my kid's aren't homeschooled anymore and I also have to take my daughter downtown (about an hour drive each way - ugh) for speech therapy twice a week. Our gas budget is about to skyrocket. Not cool. haha. We have a deep freezer and will have 2 refrigerators so hopefully I can keep us stocked up well enough that we never run out of something unexpectedly. lol.

I'll look into the invisible fence. We also thought about fencing a smaller section off with a picket style fence so that way the little kids can play outside without having the full yard to get lost in while their big siblings are at school. I like the idea that they can only play on the deck or in a smaller grassy area around it and not near the pond (even though it's gated off it scares me). And I even considered fencing an area off that the kids aren't allowed into that Buddy can go to poop so no one will step in dog poop. haha

·
Charlotte
6,143 Posts
Sounds like you have lots of plans for your new yard. I like the idea of keeping the younger ones closer and away from the pond.
My son moved to a small communuty about 30 min outside the city. He bought an old VW Golf diesel and he says it is fantastic on gas. $20 a week keeps it going. Noisy, ugly ( the door color doesn't match the rest of the car) but cheap.
Both of my boys went to speech therapy when they were young. I was always impressed by the staff.

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
I like the idea of a small, fenced play area for the kids too plus the i.v. fence for the pooch.

I never had a fence when my kids were little; it was the one thing I really wanted!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts