Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I’ve been posting intermittently to my “It’s Official” thread but feel like I need a new thread over here. As of today, 35 days until my puppy comes home!

k9data link for Gypsy K9data.com
K9data link for Toby. K9data.com

I have started buying things from my list and the kids and I enjoy getting our Chewy packages each day.

The Skout’s Honor Honeysuckle smells SO DELICIOUS.

He will obviously need plenty of toys! I picked him up a few at petsmart but then I started being a germaphobe and anything I saw that I liked I just ordered from Chewy instead. Bio security in the early days is of utmost importance to me and I’d be very upset if I tracked in something on a toy from a pet store.

I am planning on doing a link craft with the kiddos to help count down the days to puppy. Those are always fun! I’ll post photos when we get it done.

My puppy turns 3 weeks tomorrow morning. His eyes are open and they’re finding their voice! I don’t know which one is mine yet, surely one of the 3 boys.
I’ve been having dreams about them and they’re so entertaining. I dreamt that I was examining the puppy’s ears to guess what color they’d be, and their muzzle and stop, and then suddenly they were scooting all over the place not contained in their whelping box. Haha!

I am also missing my best friend Skip. Please enjoy this little picture I made of him. Something I like to do during sad times when I’m lonely for my dog.

·
Puddles
3,330 Posts
I remember how exciting the wait can be! Can't wait to see pics. You need to send the furminator back, it's the same concept as a curry comb on a horse and will strip the long layers of the coat. Your dog will look like a labrador not a golden. To get the under coat (long time off before you get adult coat) use a rake that doesn't cut the top coat. They are about $6. at tractor supply (or chewy) vs the cost of the furminator. Merry Christmas!

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm so excited for you! Very cute to see your family getting in on the preparations. I can't get over the "matching pajamas" on your to-buy list... I'm already hoping you share a photo of that once your boy is home!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I remember how exciting the wait can be! Can't wait to see pics. You need to send the furminator back, it's the same concept as a curry comb on a horse and will strip the long layers of the coat. Your dog will look like a labrador not a golden. To get the under coat (long time off before you get adult coat) use a rake that doesn't cut the top coat. They are about $6. at tractor supply (or chewy) vs the cost of the furminator. Merry Christmas!
It’s a slicker brush by furminator not the deshedder tool. :)

·
Super Moderator
592 Posts
We use that exact green slip-lead!! It was perfect for potty training and slipping on every 30 minutes when we had to take Denver out to potty as a little puppy. We still use it to take him on potty-walks or to get in the car, because he never has a collar on unless we’re going somewhere.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We use that exact green slip-lead!! It was perfect for potty training and slipping on every 30 minutes when we had to take Denver out to potty as a little puppy. We still use it to take him on potty-walks or to get in the car, because he never has a collar on unless we’re going somewhere.
It was on my breeders recommended product list! As was the heartbeat bear and the specific food and water bowls. :)

·
Registered
6,500 Posts
my experience w that bear is it's not able to hold up to an 8 week old puppy... I have people send them to me all the time for litter play and they never make a week.

·
Super Moderator
592 Posts
We used the snuggle puppy too! Denver loved it. However, we did have to make sure we took it out of the crate when we took him out, and didn’t leave it out. We put it back in his crate with him for bed time because we wanted it to be more like a sleeping companion than a toy. So he never was allowed to “play” with it.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We used the snuggle puppy too! Denver loved it. However, we did have to make sure we took it out of the crate when we took him out, and didn’t leave it out. We put it back in his crate with him for bed time because we wanted it to be more like a sleeping companion than a toy. So he never was allowed to “play” with it.
That’s the plan! I want to have the breeder send me some blankets with mom/siblings scent to help the transition. I do that for my moms with babies in the NICU and it helps them so much. Maybe just some cheaper baby blankets I can ship to them.

·
Super Moderator
592 Posts
It depends. I know of some people who let their dogs eat the entire bully stick and have no issues. We gave Denver bully sticks from early on, and would take them away from him when they got to be about 2 inches left. He never had an resource guarding or anything, and now if he chews on a bully stick, he will come over to us, tail wagging and ears back on his head to show/give us the end of his bully stick. We always heavily praised him when he would give us the bully stick, so it's pretty funny that he does this now.

Yesterday he was chewing on a braided bully stick, and got to the end of the bone. I saw him walk away from two of the ~3inch pieces, but couldn't find the 3rd one. I kind of forgot about it, and then took him out to go to the bathroom a few minutes later. When we got outside he sat down and just wagged his tail and looked at me. I opened his mouth and he was holding onto the last piece of the stick, which he then proudly gave to me. We did NOT intentionally teach him this though...

So I think if you are worried about being able to take the stick away when it gets small enough to swallow/choke on, it would be a nice thing to have. I do know of dogs who have choked on the small pieces or swallowed them and then vomited them back up later.

·
Registered
6,500 Posts
Are you going to use the bully sticks for entertainment or teething? They smell pretty awful (like one might imagine a dried cow penis would smell) and there are other things that work better for teething like tendons https://www.amazon.com/REDBARN-NATURALS-785184309001-Redbarn-Tendon/dp/B00DZSCAG6/ref=asc_df_B00DZSCAG6/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198111066934&hvpos=1o25&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16444124142385198590&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1015141&hvtargid=aud-799727667774:pla-341901325883&psc=1 for instance that they can't really hurt themselves on like the can w the bully sticks. And tendons don't stink their sweet little faces up! At 8 weeks (I haven't tried the red barn brand but the merrick I have bought hundreds of) they'll last about 3-4 hours on a good day and can help a tooth out far better than a round thing because they get holes in them and are stringy.

·
Super Moderator
592 Posts
For teething purposes, we used Redbarn knuckles, femur bones and beef tendons. They last WAY longer than bully sticks do. With the knuckles and hollow femur bones, we stuffed them with greek yogurt, pumpkin or peanut butter and froze them, which was great for teething.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I never gave my last dog bully sticks because he never wanted to chew on anything. Thank you for the other suggestions! I will definitely add those bones to my list. I’ve just heard bully sticks are good for goldens. I don’t know what ages go with what kind of bones/chews.

New news, I got a bark box subscription for the puppy since they were having a sale.

The kids and I finished the links! 32 days!

1 - 20 of 90 Posts