Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

just looking for a little piece of advice, so thought this would be the best place to ask!

Over christmas Marley was kennelled for 12 days, when we got him back he seemed to have lost alot of weight (I could see his ribs) and also my husband thought Marleys face was thinner?! The kennel returned his uneaten food, which was over half of what I had given them - I had only given them enough for 14 days, so he obviously wasn't being fed enough and/or wasn't eating.

Anyways, he's been home for over a week now and I have been feeding him extra kibble, 50% more than he usually gets and also giving him some steak or fish too, but the weight doesn't seem to be going back on.

He's also shedding like mad, I am sweeping these floors 3 or 4 times per day and it just never clears.

Then yesterday we went on a playdate at the beach, we walk about a mile and a half to the meeting place, and then he ran and swam for 90 minutes, when we got home though he was exhausted like I have never seen before he slept for most of the day, and today he's just hanging out in his crate.

He's going to be 2 in April.

Does anyone have any idea of what could be going on?

·
Administrator
16,477 Posts
Some of the things you mentioned could be signs of a thyroid condition but many times dogs will gain weight if the thyroid is slowing down. However it may not hurt ot have a full thyroid screening done just to rule this out.
Just another thought here.......... also have him, and his fecal, checked for worms too. Many times this could cause weight loss and a dog getting tired out when exercised

·
Registered
223 Posts
Our previous dog had thyroid. He first started to gain slowly weight and then due to the weight was less active. He also had many ear infections and skin rashes.

·
Registered
10,529 Posts
It does not sound like thyroid to me, although it never hurts to check. If he was not eating while you were gone, he probably lost muscle mass and endurance. It will take a while for him to gain back the lost weight and build his muscle and endurance back up.

He might have picked up some parasites while at the kennel too, so a vet visit might be in order just to rule out any parasites, illnesses, etc. Some common parasites such as roundworms and coccidia can remain encysted in a dog and then show up when the dog is stressed and his immune system is somewhat compromised.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
I think a vet trip is in order to check out for all issues. Dont think it is his thyroid like Linda said. Hopefully he will get some of the weight back on and feeling better soon. You might talk to the kennel to ask about his eating there. It sounds like he was stressed with not eating. Good luck and give Marley a big kiss.

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
I would for sure get him to the vet. Gunner just went through a similar experience (except for the exhaustion) and it was food allergies. But it could be many things. I really doubt it's thyroid but I would have a fecal and a CBC done.

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
It could be something as simple as his being super stressed by being at the kennel. The weight he lost could account for his lowered endurance. I would definitely suggest a vet visit.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone for the replies, we changed him to Pro Plan adult food from Eukanuba puppy food 6 weeks ago, could that be part of the problem? I am definately taking him to the vet, beginning of next week is when his vet is back in the surgery.

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
A vet visit will be good to make sure Marley is okay, but I really think this came about from his kenneling.

Either they weren't giving him enough food or he was eating due to being stressed. He might just have been moping, but I would really check into this kennel and make sure they are treating him well. He will probably take a little longer to get the weight back on.

And yes, his weight loss and quite possibly lack of activity while being kenneled would have caused him to have less endurance.

I had to have my thyroid removed 8 years ago due to it being very overactive and all of these symptoms could also be caused by a thyroid problem. good news is - that can be treated with just one little pill every day.

I hope he gets back to his usual happy self soon.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We took Marley to the vet and the vet was wonderful, gave him a top to toe examination and couldn't find anything wrong, except that he has some lumps from where he'd had ticks but the ticks were removed at the kennels, maybe the head had been left in and he has a little reaction, so he got an injection and over the next 7 days it should get rid of all this, his blood work was perfect apart from one result that was elevated due to the tick bite.

He told us that in Brazil many people put their female dogs into kennels right before they go into heat, so they don't have to deal with it, so then you have a kennel full of horny (sorry for the use of the word) male dogs which causes them all kinds of stress and could be a reason Marley wasn't eating. The vet thought Marley was a perfect weight at 23.5 kilos and didn't want us to try to feed him extra anymore.

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
My late dog Goliath always came home with most of his food when he was boarded. We would board him most of the time at the vets, so they would document it and give him a lot of TLC, and we would just know that he would not have his normal appetite there.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My late dog Goliath always came home with most of his food when he was boarded. We would board him most of the time at the vets, so they would document it and give him a lot of TLC, and we would just know that he would not have his normal appetite there.
Love the name Goliath!!

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
Good to know it was a kenneling problem. You "description" sure made me laugh!

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
That is wonderful that he is ok.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts