Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, the last two nights (in the middle of the night) our puppy (15 weeks) has heaved a few times and coughed/thrown up a bit. The best I can tell, little or nothing came up and there have been no incidents during the day. She is eating, playing, sleeping, pooping, peeing normal.

She eats dinner around 5:00 (1 cup). From there on she gets a few tiny bones as treats. Water is available throughout the evening.

Any ideas? Our 6 yr old has done this from time to time, almost as if she has something caught in her throat and has to work it out. But never two nights in a row.

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
I'm not sure about the "coughing" you describe, if it's true coughing, that would worry me. But if it's just the gagging thing they do when they wretch, then I'd go with hunger. It's a time period of huge growth and massive appetite. Can you feed her a little more kibble, like 1/2 cup, later in the evening and see if that helps?

·
Registered
86 Posts
If my Golden goes too long without food, he throws up (bile, not food)....so he gets a little something to eat before bed and that sorted the problem.

·
Premium Member
16,435 Posts
Is it possible she nibbled on any grass? That can do it for the cough/ gag routine.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I agree on the hunger possibility. Going from 5pm might be a little tough on a growing puppy. Mine get there evening meal closer to 7-7:30PM & a small handful when going to bed. (That was mostly because when I get that they RUN to their crates & know it is bedtime) Especially if you say there is nothing there they are throwing up.
I did have my oldest puppy do this about 3 days in a row after a rabies vacinne.
No other coughing at other times?
As always if you are unsure call your vet.

·
shadow friend
3,886 Posts
I'm not sure about the "coughing" you describe, if it's true coughing, that would worry me. But if it's just the gagging thing they do when they wretch, then I'd go with hunger. It's a time period of huge growth and massive appetite. Can you feed her a little more kibble, like 1/2 cup, later in the evening and see if that helps?

wow, brilliant advice and something I'll make sure to remember! I wouldn't have thought about this.

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
I would keep an eye on him. My Danny used to do that when he had eaten a sock. That was usually my "cue" that he had gotten and eaten one. Usually it would come up on day 2 or 3, right about the time I would realize what was going on.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ohhh, hunger does it sometimes? That would probably fit well, since she's CRAZY hungry in the mornings and eats early in the evening. I'll see about some extra food later in the night.
Any general recommendations for total intake right now? She's 22 lbs. and about 15 weeks. I believe the bag says 3 - 3 2/3 cups?

·
Registered
869 Posts
Whatare you feeding? 3-31/2 cups sounds like a lot of food for 15 weeks. Mine gets 1 1/2 per day. It does depend on the food. My older one 10 months, gets less than 3 cups a day.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Whatare you feeding? 3-31/2 cups sounds like a lot of food for 15 weeks. Mine gets 1 1/2 per day. It does depend on the food. My older one 10 months, gets less than 3 cups a day.
We've been using eukanuba, since that's what the breeder recommended. The chart says at 3-4 months 20lbs should be about 3 2/3 cups. Since this is our first puppy we're trying to follow the guidelines...just a little less than they suggest. It fluctuates a lot though based on age and weight.

Is this totally off?

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
Hank's been eating at least 3 cups per day since he was that age, he's now 5 months, about 45 lbs. and getting a little more now, maybe closer to 3 1/2 cups. He eats Innova LBP.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I did a quick look & Eukanuba doesn't have a lot of calories per cup. A lot of higher quality foods I think you feed less because there is more nutrition/cup. So with the food I use I don't need as much. So you should follow what the bag or your vet says for your dog for the food you use. Whatever you use I think feeding a little later might help that night time emptiness.
Have things improved or are you still having problems.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, things have improved...we've been holding back about 1/3 of a cup until right before bed. Seems to be working.

We feed our 6 yr old (70 lbs) California Natural (about 3-3 1/2 cups), but will likely stick with the Eukanuba for now...possibly until she's ready to switch to adult food.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Glad things have improved. The California Natural is a better choice in food. Eukanuba is not the same food it use to be when it had such a good reputation, it changed at the same time Iams food did when they were bought out by Proctor & Gamble.

·
<---Bring on the grub!!!!
3,737 Posts
My pups used to throw up bile around 4:00 am until I started giving them something to eat just before bed. It really helps. Glad that you found a solution.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Glad things have improved. The California Natural is a better choice in food. Eukanuba is not the same food it use to be when it had such a good reputation, it changed at the same time Iams food did when they were bought out by Proctor & Gamble.
My wife wanted me to post a question about itching...which the puppy seems to be doing more of lately. Switching to California Natural was recommended to us for the 6 yr old for the same issue. Do you think the Euk could be causing allergic reactions already with the pup?
Do puppies adjust well to food changes?
And lastly, would we end up feeding the pup a lot less food if we switched?

·
Momma to angel Cody
5,044 Posts
Yes, the food can cause the itching, and yes, you would likely feed less food if you switched. Did the California Natural take care of the 6-year-old's itchies?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes, the food can cause the itching, and yes, you would likely feed less food if you switched. Did the California Natural take care of the 6-year-old's itchies?
This type of thing is hard to keep track of, but I believe so. Also, her ears have seemed easier to manage. My wife has decided to wait for now and ask the vet's opinion during the next round of shots. Even though I have a feeling the vet will recommend whatever type of food they buy for their office.

We'll see.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts