Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Starting on Monday, when I let Newbie out of his crate in the morning he would do this sneezing-thing. It wasn't like an all out sneeze but like he was trying to push something out of his nose, like there was a tickle or something.

Starting yesterday, he's started coughing too. It's not violent coughs, but a kind of wheezy sound. It's mostly in the morning when I get him out, and I listened before letting him out and he didn't do it, but once he was out he started doing it. Last night I heard it a couple of times, but really, it's mostly in the morning.

I'm getting worried. He has had all of his innoculations, including kennel-cough, and besides that, he hasn't really been around any other dogs since he graduated from puppy-kindergarten a couple of weeks ago. He had about five minutes interaction with a dog at the park this weekend, but other than that he's only been around people and twice a week he is around my mom's cats.

I'm taking in one of my rats to be PTS ( :( ) on Tuesday, and was taking Newbie in as well to have him weighed...should I try and schedule a check-up for him too? What will they do/test? Unless it gets worse by then, I'm sure he wont show the DR what I'm talking about since he does it mainly in the am.

Ug. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response, sorry it's taken me so long. I didn't have a chance to get online at all this weekend.

No, that's not what Newbie was doing (thank goodness, I probably would've had a heart attack), very good thing to know about though...

The wheezy-sound and sneezy-tickle-thing (don't you love my technical terms?) have stopped completely from what I can tell.

Do dogs just get colds sometimes? I don't know what else it would have been...

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
sounds to me like Newbie had a mild case of kennel cough or a little doggie cold. Even though he's vaccinated, he can still get it.
Glad to hear he's getting better!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts