Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone!
My Ellie girl is a bit over 1 1/2 years old and for the past two weeks has been not really “coughing “ but like clearing her throat or something after she drinks her water 80% of the time . I thought it was because we give her cold Brita water from the fridge and that it was too cold for her, but she does it with room temperature water . And she’s not guzzling her water either, and I dont know why it’s on and off. Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
We used to have the same issue as the bowl was too elevated. We now have lower bowls and he’s stopped the coughing. See the picture for reference

The one on the right is too high for our golden.

·
Super Moderator
1,665 Posts
To be clear in my opinion, elevated food bowls for goldens is not a good idea. They should be on the floor. However, legitimate research on this issue is sparse. Here is the abstract on a large breed study which draws some connections between elevated bowls and bloat. Unfortunately it is 19 years old...

(Ignore the name of the link - it goes to the abstract on the American Veterinary Medical Association website.)

Don't want to hijack the thread, and it is very likely that there are other very plausible explanations for Ellie's coughing after drinking. We don't even know if the OP uses elevated bowls!

I am looking forward to other thoughts on this!

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
My girl Hazel has often made a coughing or gagging sound after she drinks. I think she just inhales a little water and she is otherwise healthy.

I wish I could teach dogs how to drink water, because our other dog squirts 3/4 of her water out the side of her mouth. :)

·
Golden Ret Enthusiast
1,639 Posts
Would never give a Golden food or water on the floor, only elevated bowls. Had a Great Dane bloat from bowls on the floor and have know 7 other dogs (6 goldens) do the same. Never seen a dog (over 100 at least) bloat from elevated bowls. There is a lot of evidence to feed it of elevated bowls.

Dogs gulp their food when hanging their heads to eat or drink too get it to the bank of the month and in doing so, gulp to much air down causing an imbalance in their stomachs making it easy to flip/twist.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
FWIW, Luke drank his water from bowls on the floor. I think he simply drank too quickly. He didn't always cough after drinking.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I elevate food bowls and water bowls. Duke was diagnosed with Megaesophagus last year and after doing extensive research I don’t know if I will ever feed directly from floor level again. I don’t use a Bailey chair, but instead built a custom feeder (that also looks nice) I don’t elevate Moes food to the degree of Dukes, but both dogs drink from an elevated level.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Do you use elevated bowls?
Yes we use elevated water bowl stands. She does not gulp her water... Ironically enough , since I posted , it seems to not be as often now. However , if this continues , I will be calling the vet. Thanks everyone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,665 Posts
It is the posting placebo effect! Keep us posted. Would still suggest you de-elevate her water bowl to see if it completely eliminates the problem.

·
Puddles
3,505 Posts
Ellie has grown into such a beautiful girl! This may sound very strange but Sips used to try and drink off the bottom of the bowl.... sticking her nose under water in doing so. So she would occasionally snort and/or cough, as well as a make a really big mess on the floor when she was young :) It's just a thought.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts