Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its been an interesting weekend...

I took Chloe for a walk along a trail this weekend. I let her off lead for a little while to play with another dog. They were having a great time playing and took off from us humans to play in the creek. We called our dogs (since it’s a little chilly for a dip) they came out of the creek and ran back to us. They were completely wet but smiling from ear to ear. I leashed Chloe and we continued on our walk. Shortly afterwards Chloe started coughing/gaging… it was almost as if she was trying to throw up (kind of like a kennel cough). I thought she was overly excited or just drank too much creek water :)yuck:). I stopped and let her relax. She had a good drink of water and she seemed fine but I decided to turn around and go home. She was okay on the walk home (no more coughing) but she was a little foamy around the mouth (the foam is not uncommon for Chloe but is more common in the summer than winter seasons). We took our time coming home and stopped for water breaks.

As soon as we were home she started coughing/gagging again. Horrible thoughts are rushing through my head (she ate something awful in the creek, her air way is blocked etc) and I was ready to rush her to the E-vet. I called my father (who has had dogs for 50+ years) and he said to give her time provided that she is eating, drinking and you can tell nothing is blocking her air way. Of course it was the afternoon of New Years Eve and a trip to the E-vet would have been costly (please know that I would pay whatever the cost would be if something *knocks on wood* happened to Chloe and she need immediate attention). I decided to take my dad’s advice and see how she was. After an hour there was no more coughing. She ate dinner, drank water, we played with her toys and of course she chased the cat (my poor fat cat). Ever the paranoid Moma, I decided to stay home instead of going out with some girlfriends for the celebrations. I am glad I did – she coughed three times between 10:30pm and 2 am.

I didn’t sleep very well that night as I spent most of the night blaming myself for letting her off her lead and checking in on her. She has a normal appetite, drinking plenty of water, no fever and the same crazy energy level. She is urinating and having regular bowel movement – however Sunday night her stool was loose but is back to normal today. The coughing is not persistent and occurs maybe 2-4 times throughout the day lasting only a few seconds. Today she has only coughed once after coming in from our evening walk.

I will be calling my regular vet first time tomorrow morning. In the meantime… any thoughts?

PS Thanks for taking the time to read this post, it is a lot longer than what I intended :wavey:

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Awww poor Chloe. I have no experience with this but hopefully since she seems to be coughing less, she is getting better :crossfing I cough like that when my allergies are bothering me...I wonder if it's possible she got a tickle in her throat from something near the creek?

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
If she is doing everything else normal I wouldn't be too concerned. If you are still feeling something is amiss a trip to the vet would be worth the cost even if just to ease your mind. Be sure to post back what the vet says.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awww poor Chloe. I have no experience with this but hopefully since she seems to be coughing less, she is getting better :crossfing I cough like that when my allergies are bothering me...I wonder if it's possible she got a tickle in her throat from something near the creek?
Thanks for the reply! I know, poor Chloe eh... I'm pretty gutted about it. I never thought of allergies. It sounds possible especially since the coughing has decreased. This makes me worry a little less about her. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If she is doing everything else normal I wouldn't be too concerned. If you are still feeling something is amiss a trip to the vet would be worth the cost even if just to ease your mind. Be sure to post back what the vet says.
Thanks for your posting. Yes she seems completely normal except for the random coughing/gagging. I'll let you know what the vet has to say about it tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I called the vet yesterday and she said that she thinks Chloe drank too much creek water (hence the gagging and coughing). Since its cold here she thinks the remaining cough is from a cold. Since she is acting and eating normally she recommends that I keep an eye on her. If her cough is not gone by friday then I will need to bring her in.

Thanks for checking up on us!

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Krys

Krys

Glad to hear she is getting better!

Reactions: mudEpawz

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
all is well. turns out that i am just a paranoid mom :crazy:. her cough has pretty much disappeared - whew.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts