Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
chew chew chew
3,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Holy crap, when did entering dog shows become so expensive???

I remember paying $60 for three rounds of obedience, maybe $80 for 4 rounds of agility, now it's hiked up to $29 a round for everything. OUCH!

I'll admit I haven't entered in a few years and things do go up but it seems like it's gone up a lot for CKC stuff.

I was looking to start showing Storee in some rally and agility. For now we're going to do NADAC, since we'll get a lot more runs for the buck and I have no clue what she's going to do with herself yet anyway. I know her breeder is big on CKC but we'll just have to wait till she's totally solid on everything before risking $29 on a run.

So does anyone else play according to the pocketbook? Hope I'm not the only one!

Lana

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
Entries have been averaging around $25 first entry in this area for obedience. AKC is pretty much the only game in town around here.

·
16,000 Posts
The economy has certainly affected entries. Add the actual entry fees, the cost of gas, hotels, food, etc, and it's little wonder that it's so hard to find any majors...

·
They get it
4,446 Posts
I feel your pain, the last hunt test I entered was about $55, now it is $70-75! Ouch!

·
Humankind. Be both.
7,650 Posts
I hear ya. I'm hoping to finish up my Ex A titles with Quiz in the next couple weeks (we just need one lousy Ex A Jumpers leg!) and then I'm giving AKC agility a rest for a while for the simple fact that I can't afford it. I'd rather spend my money on ASCA agility. It's much less frequent, but when there is a show, I get 10 runs for about $85. That's way more fun to me than four runs in a weekend for $76.

The last obedience trial I entered was $26!

·
the party's crashing us
4,418 Posts
Back when I started, I remember an entry for conformation was $16. HA HA HA You can't even get that for puppies or BBE anymore.

·
Magica Goldens
1,363 Posts
Agility entries in New England are usually $25/$20...Obedience and rally entries are between $27-32. Conformation right around $30. Rare to see breaks for second entries at conformation shows - the ones w/ obedience anyway - rally never counts as a second entry in AKC land. I'm entering shows now based on where I can find a cheap hotel...AKC discount is 20% at redroof hotels - booked a $35 all-inclusive king today for a show in March....So I might pay more on the entry but I actually save over a cheap show and a $90 hotel room - everything here is a 4+ hour drive - so every trial is a hotel.

So picking and choosing and sacrificing other things to play with the dogs a few weekends a year...

Erica

·
Humankind. Be both.
7,650 Posts
Ugh. I can't imagine being faced with a hotel stay for every show. I'm super lucky. Two of the major agility locations are 15 mins from my house. A "far" trial is an hour away!

·
Registered
631 Posts
Our entries from around here for agility go from 20/12 to 25/15 for AKC. ASCA and NADAC do give us more runs for the bucks at 11 per run..Obed..25.

One of our closer trials is 3.5 hours away and a friend and I now share the expense of a room and get up early in the wee hours to drive there saving a nights motel fee..

·
chew chew chew
3,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well for now, we'll play in Nadac. I figure it's going to be better for her being a new dog to have more runs per weekend and so on than trying to hope she'll figure it out with one try per day. Rally we can do in the summer when I have more of a chance to work her outside more often. We may not get a lot of ckc titles but oh well, we'll have some fun, and when we do enter I know she'll be ready and I'll be picky as to judges too.

Lana

677 Posts
Just entered the golden retriever club trials here in Ottawa in Feb. for $29/per. This is the most expensive I've paid in this area yet. I am still so addicted that I'll pay the price to compete.

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
Is it a specialty? I find the specialties tend to run more.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
If you can find UKC or ASCA obedience trials around they are usually about half the price of AKC. In CA, unfortunately, they are few and far between.

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
Ugh. I can't imagine being faced with a hotel stay for every show. I'm super lucky. Two of the major agility locations are 15 mins from my house. A "far" trial is an hour away!
sooooo not fair!! ;)
A trial of any sort is 2 hours from my house!!!!!

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
Only some of the AKC clubs hosting agility trials around here offer the split rate, one rate first run, less second run. However I don't think I pay $20 for a run. So I am sure it averages out. I am curious why it varies so? Is there no set rate from AKC? Seems odd. I have often wondered why one trial is "X" to enter, and another "Y" at the same venue.

UKC is what gets expensive for me. With two trials a day, 3 runs a trial $20 a run it adds up fast. They do offer discounts if you do 4 or 6 runs a day with the same dog. But still. Around here CPE is about $10 a run, but you can run a lot so it too adds up.

We are lucky in our area, we have a facility that must have some sort of a trial every weekend. Most are AKC, in Feb same venue will have 3 AKC agility trials 3 weekends in a row. That is about a 40 min drive from my house.

Ann

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
Just getting ready to enter the International Kennel Club shows in downtown Chicago in late February.
$37 for the first entry (breed).
Most of our shows are about $25-27 now for the first entry, regardless of whether it's breed or obedience. Don't know about agility.

·
Magica Goldens
1,363 Posts
I just made an entry for an AKC trial in March - $23/$10...my weekend entries (for one dog) is $66 (generally we're in the $90-100 range for STD/JWW)...too bad its 3.5 hours away and the cheapest hotel down there is $90/night (also too bad I don't have a free night certificate from red roof!). I'm hoping that they run little dogs first on Saturday so I can drive down the morning of the trial (leaving at 4am) and save a night of lodging....

$37 is outrageous. I don't think I'd make an entry at $37 even for a local sleep in my own bed/eat out of my own fridge show - just on principle.

Erica

1 - 20 of 26 Posts