Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our state is about to go on lockdown. We were supposed to bringing our new pup home in about 2 weeks. Now, the breeder is asking if we'd like to pick her up early, since we'll be on lockdown for awhile. I want to do what's best for her...but I'm not sure what that is...given the choice of coming home at 6 weeks - or 10+ weeks, what is best? Thank you! She is, apparently, weaned already.

·
Registered
8,602 Posts
She would be weaned at 6 weeks, and certainly in the old days we did send them home at 6 weeks- BUT you would be missing a good deal of dog on dog socializing done and also the breeder would be missing all the potty cleanup and everything that last 2 weeks entails which is quite time consuming. I dk that any state's lockdown would include not being able to do pet care, and picking up IS care. If it were me, I would want her to come home at 8 weeks. Whether she stayed til 10 weeks (and who knows that things will be any different then) would depend on how much I trusted the breeder to do more than just leave them in a pen all day or not. If that is the likelihood, I would think coming at 6 weeks would be better than getting a puppy who no one has attended to properly and I would just try to make sure she got plenty of dog socializing.. which is going to take some work on your part. That last 2 weeks w their litter they learn bite inhibition, sharing, playtime. They also produce an amazing amount of waste and take a lot of attention on the breeder's part. They will need shots at 8 weeks, so that'd be on you instead of the breeder. What state are you in?Some states (FL for instance) have many laws in place around puppy go home times. FL requires a health certificate that includes shots and deworm at no earlier than 8 weeks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She would be weaned at 6 weeks, and certainly in the old days we did send them home at 6 weeks- BUT you would be missing a good deal of dog on dog socializing done and also the breeder would be missing all the potty cleanup and everything that last 2 weeks entails which is quite time consuming. I dk that any state's lockdown would include not being able to do pet care, and picking up IS care. If it were me, I would want her to come home at 8 weeks. Whether she stayed til 10 weeks (and who knows that things will be any different then) would depend on how much I trusted the breeder to do more than just leave them in a pen all day or not. If that is the likelihood, I would think coming at 6 weeks would be better than getting a puppy who no one has attended to properly and I would just try to make sure she got plenty of dog socializing.. which is going to take some work on your part. That last 2 weeks w their litter they learn bite inhibition, sharing, playtime. They also produce an amazing amount of waste and take a lot of attention on the breeder's part. They will need shots at 8 weeks, so that'd be on you instead of the breeder. What state are you in?Some states (FL for instance) have many laws in place around puppy go home times. FL requires a health certificate that includes shots and deworm at no earlier than 8 weeks.
We're in Georgia. The details of the Shelter in Place Order have not yet been released, but it will begin tomorrow. So we're all trying to figure out IF we could conceivably pick her up while on lockdown.

·
Super Moderator
1,709 Posts
Prism basically captured it all well. Current recommendations from veterinary behaviorists are even to wait until 12 weeks so puppies get all the proper litter socialization. If the breeder can take care of however many puppies well for an extra few weeks yay! If it is too much, it may be better to pick up at 6 weeks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Prism basically captured it all well. Current recommendations from veterinary behaviorists are even to wait until 12 weeks so puppies get all the proper litter socialization. If the breeder can take care of however many puppies well for an extra few weeks yay! If it is too much, it may be better to pick up at 6 weeks.
Now that we know only one sibling will be left with the breeder after tomorrow, do you think she'd be better off coming home? Or is one sibling enough to create some socialization benefit?

·
Registered
8,602 Posts
It's a shame they are going home. I lean to thinking there would be zero issue picking up a puppy at 8 weeks as long as you didn't go shopping, etc and if it were my litter I know I would WISH they would all leave about when they are becoming the most work but I always fantasize about that lol... . I might charge people for that extra time (to 10 weeks or 12 weeks) but I would also truly invest that time ...because in the end, a good breeder wants pups to have the very best shot at everything wonderful in life and cutting them out of this two weeks of important litter time is not the best for them.
edit: Table of State Laws Concerning Minimum Age for Sale of Puppies | Animal Legal & Historical Center it is against the law in GA to sell puppies at 6 weeks. There are good reasons for this.

·
Premium Member
1,683 Posts
Great timing on this thread...
Our litter is only a few days over 2 weeks but we are worried about what to do.
Some of our puppy people are out of state, but mostly in town. In any case I wouldn't let them go home before 8 weeks - those last couple weeks are important for the puppies. I'd rather keep them as long as needed and work with them.

·
Registered
8,602 Posts
I have a litter coming in a few weeks, too, and am concerned of course (they're gonna miss the trips to Lowes since I have not been anywhere save 3 trips to the grocery in over 3 weeks now) but if they need to stay, they stay. Those'll be the luckiest puppy people ever, I may have them all crate trained lol.. my real concern is needing ER vet. UF has pretty much closed down the ER because of lack of masks.

·
Premium Member
1,683 Posts
I have not been anywhere save 3 trips to the grocery in over 3 weeks now)
Same here. Taking this seriously although I go to work everyday. I'm pretty much the only one here. I could/can work from home but there are too many distractions for me...

my real concern is needing ER vet.
Last I checked ours is still open 24x7x365 although you can't go in. You call them, they come out to your car and take your animal in. 2 weeks ago we were at the vet multiple times with Sandy. This was when the virus was starting to take off here. Busy place with lots of people milling about. Uhg.
Be safe.

·
Super Moderator
1,557 Posts
Even with the other puppies gone, if the dam is any good at teaching socialization the puppy can benefit from that. (Some dams are better at correcting their puppies than others, so it's really dam specific. My lab is way too soft with her puppies and will simply try to avoid them the last 2 weeks or so rather than correct them. However, if I only allow one or two puppies at a time to hang out with her then she's better about correcting their behavior.)

·
Registered
932 Posts
I don't want Prism's point to get lost in the conversation... In many states it is ILLEGAL to sell puppies under 7-8 weeks. I would check the link she provided to make sure it's even legal for the breeder to be sending the puppies home that young...

·
Registered
900 Posts
I wouldn’t take a puppy home at 6 weeks. I took one home at 7 weeks and she legit had anxiety her entire life. And I truly believe it’s bc the guy just wanted to get rid of them because he was over it. I saw my current 16 week old puppy at 6 weeks and brought her home at 8 weeks. World of difference in her in those two weeks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I wouldn’t take a puppy home at 6 weeks. I took one home at 7 weeks and she legit had anxiety her entire life. And I truly believe it’s bc the guy just wanted to get rid of them because he was over it. I saw my current 16 week old puppy at 6 weeks and brought her home at 8 weeks. World of difference in her in those two weeks.
I would wait if possible. The one and only golden puppy I ever bought came to my home at 7 weeks but I also had a 22 month old female golden and she was more than happy to correct him😂😂😂. Even though she never had puppies, she was a natural, albeit bossy, ‘mother’. They were best of buds. Whatever you do,just be prepared for a lifetime of love💕🐾

1 - 16 of 16 Posts