Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Kristy
9,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just saw a headline that a woman in South Carolina became the first person in over 50 years to contract rabies in this state. They think she was bitten by a bat a couple months ago in her home. Yikes!

I thought of you and your bats! (Obviously this is not a laughing matter) but I do have to confess I thought of you and your story and laughed to myself. Just thought I'd better check on you! :wave:

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
Hoot!
The dogs are home and fine so I can check in on the joke.

The article said to capture the bat in a closed container and NOT touch it and take it to DHEC.:p:
I'd still be the talk of the county. Can you see me showing up at DHEC with my Wal-mart bags full of bats???? I should have done it just to entertain them.:wave:

In case you wondered, I do come from a fruitloop family. This what my sister did with one that fell out our window the summer before the total invasion. Her reasoning? She thought her grandsons would think it was funny. They did.:confused::D

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
Yeah - you thought I was bad freezing them. She made a sandwich.:no:

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
I say "yuck", but remember I am bat phobic!!!

·
Premium Member
7,788 Posts
Bat sandwiches.... batcicles... :confused: I'm not sure which sounds less appetizing. :yuck:

But at least we know a frozen bat is a safe bat to be around. :uhoh::eek::nervous::hyper:

I'm so glad that you and your fur people are together again and hope you will regale us with more funny stories soon.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
:help!::hide:

Teresa, I think next time you take the dogs in for a rabies vaccination, you should start some too--those bats are just too scary!!

I'm going to ask my SIL who lives in the NC part of the Smoky Mtns if they get bats--if they do I'm going to freak out when I visit them!

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
Hey Dallas Gold... how about you and I visit Theresa next year when the bats are in full bloom? Not!! Until I die, I will be bat phobic.

·
Mom to 9 :)
2,383 Posts
GoldenCamper/DallasGold--y'all are sooo bad!

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Hey Dallas Gold... how about you and I visit Theresa next year when the bats are in full bloom? Not!! Until I die, I will be bat phobic.
uh, I'd rather not! :no: Fellow bat phobic here! We actually have bats in the neighborhood. I see them on my early morning walks fluttering around. :uhoh:

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
Maybe some horseradish dijon mustard?
Yes - mustard is a must for a bat sandwich.:yes:
Mayo or Miracle whip isn't available at my house anyway.;)

Stay tuned bat friends. It takes too long to upload from home, so I will post the next picture from work tomorrow.

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
Can't wait... for the photo..

Reactions: Dallas Gold

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
Copper's Mom, did I mention that when I had a litter of pups 2.5 years ago, I had a bat/bats in my house for 5 days? I was so freaked out after the first one, that I slept downstairs with the light on until they were weaned...

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
When my husband heard that story on the news about the SC girl/woman with rabies, the first thing he commented on were coppers-mom's bats

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
When my husband heard that story on the news about the SC girl/woman with rabies, the first thing he commented on were coppers-mom's bats
I worry about her exposure too. Several years ago a young adult man in Arkansas died in an accident and his family consented to organ donation. Baylor University Medical Center here (which, ironically, is actually staffed and a training facility for Texas A&M Medical School:confused:), got several of the organs and did several transplants. One by one the transplant patients started exhibiting signs of rabies and died. Only after autopsy did they figure out the donor was positive for rabies. They interviewed the family and neighbors and learned the guy had been bitten by a bat several weeks before when it flew in through his apartment window. There was a lot of heartache among the survivors of the transplant victims and a flurry of wrongful death lawsuits followed.

Here is a post from the Houston Chronicle from 2005: Medical first: 3 rabies deaths via transplants - Houston Chronicle and Fourth organ transplant patient dies from rabies

That cemented my bat phobia forever.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts