Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
Clap, clap! Glad of the suspension then. Don't think I have ever heard of a Vet's suspension, but if wrong, they Should pay the price. Our dogs are our kids!

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
His track record is appalling. It's amazing with that poor history and that many repeat fines, suspensions, etc., that the veterinary board is going to allow him to continue to practice. This sounds like something the newspaper should be writing an editorial about... Very bad.

·
Lost in Fur Land
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Out of curiousity how did he botch his neuter? I always thought a neuter was a very simple procedure.
After his surgery Cooper swelled up around the incision. They cut holes in him so it could "drain" It got REALLY infected and he would up having to stay in isolation at another emergency clinic for two weeks until the infection was under control and he stopped seeping blood.

The Vet at the emergency clinic said the neuter was a awful chop job and not the first time he had an animal come from Stone House in this kind of shape and needed weeks of care.

It was a really bad deal. This vet scared the hell out of Cooper even before that. THe guy would just get up and leave mid exam if Cooper was being even the littlest bit nervy and make me come back the next day and start over. Charging me every time.

I got away from him quick and went to Banfield. My girlfriend works there now actually and the vets are wonderful.

·
gone
1,443 Posts
It was a really bad deal. This vet scared the hell out of Cooper even before that. THe guy would just get up and leave mid exam if Cooper was being even the littlest bit nervy and make me come back the next day and start over. Charging me every time.
Why did you continue then? Sorry if this sounds judgemental and after the fact, but a vet acting like that would NOT get a second chance near any of my animals.

·
Lost in Fur Land
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Why did you continue then? Sorry if this sounds judgemental and after the fact, but a vet acting like that would NOT get a second chance near any of my animals.

Cooper is my first dog, I really didn't know what to expect. I had just taken him out of the shelter and he was scared of everything (He still kind of is). When he came to me I took him to the "highest rated vet clinic in town". It took a couple trips to get through his exams. Then came his neuter. I was a client of this clinic's for about a month before the neuter disaster. After that I went and found a new vet.

And dont worry about it. I know better now, but at that time I really had no idea what I was doing lol.

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Cooper's Dad

Cooper's Dad

So glad you don't go to him anymore!!

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Wow! I don't blame you for feeling vindicated upon reading about the suspension. It's unfortunate that every profession has its black sheep.

As a teacher (44 years and counting) I've worked with incompetent colleagues (not too many thank goodness), and seen bad priests, doctors, mechanics, you name it.

The big difference is that our dogs depend on us to make good choices for them. We want to get it right the first time!

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
It's nice to see that they're doing something about this guy. Though, it's too bad they can't revoke his license, permanently.

I'm just amazed at how many lousy vets are out there.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
I sometimes wonder if some vets were rejects from medical school and couldn't become doctors or surgeons....
It's actually MUCH harder to get into vet school then human medical school! A lot of vet school wannbes end up in human medicine...

Reactions: Sally's Mom

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
Why is there so much animosity? I was almost killed by the local medical center and I am over it....

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Cooper is my first dog, I really didn't know what to expect. I had just taken him out of the shelter and he was scared of everything (He still kind of is). When he came to me I took him to the "highest rated vet clinic in town". It took a couple trips to get through his exams. Then came his neuter. I was a client of this clinic's for about a month before the neuter disaster. After that I went and found a new vet.

And dont worry about it. I know better now, but at that time I really had no idea what I was doing lol.
Honestly, I made the same mistake with the first vet I took Tucker to. I went there based on a glowing review from a coworker. I took Tucker there the day after we got him. He was my first dog too. Tucker hated him the minute this guy came into the room, and Tucker was only 10 weeks. The guy goes on to tell me how he does not like Tucker's temperment, and that I should pin my dog to let him know who is boss. ***! I was almost in tears! I trusted my gut, and went back to my old vet the next day, where we took our cat at the time. (That vet was just ok, and becoming very expensive, hence why I decided to try this new vet). Tucker was completely different with our old vet.

Tucker taught me a couple of valuable lessons. One was to trust my gut, the other was to trust him when it comes to judging people. Cooper knew the deal with your old vet from day one. Unfortunately, it takes us humans longer to figure it out...

Oh yeah, and the coworker who recommended the idiot vet...I thought he had yellow labs based on the pictures on his desk for years. It turned out they were shaved goldens!:doh::doh::doh: What can I say, I am an idiot...

So glad you are going somewhere else now!

·
gone
1,443 Posts
I had to go to an emergency vet once for my beloved cat (Tough Guy) he insisted that I leave the room while he was examined, I refused. My hubby said that this cat only trusted me to be with him. The vet reluctantly let me remain and did his tests which included drawing blood. My Tough Guy aka Tuffy was very calm and did not react whatsoever to his prodding. The vet was very surprised and said that he has never ever seen a cat so calm during this type of exam and said that we did the right thing by allowing me to remain. He said that all cats go hyper when the owner stays with them and this was the first he experienced calmness because of the owner. My regular vet also said the same thing..... he was such an awesome cat, unfortunately we lost him 3 days later to a viral infection that came from nowhere. He was 12 years old and loved so much.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
It's actually MUCH harder to get into vet school then human medical school! A lot of vet school wannbes end up in human medicine...
If you know any vets personally, they have their own inside humor about the human doctors...about how they only had to study one animal while the vets have to study the anatomy of so many...It makes a lot of sense. The anatomy of a dog and that of a bird are fairly different! It must take a lot of extra studying.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
If you know any vets personally, they have their own inside humor about the human doctors...about how they only had to study one animal while the vets have to study the anatomy of so many...It makes a lot of sense. The anatomy of a dog and that of a bird are fairly different! It must take a lot of extra studying.
I LOVE this video:
Veterinarian vs. MD | Xtranormal

1 - 19 of 19 Posts