Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Cooper Town!
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it snuck up on us :( We saw he had a some scabs in his fur up top Sunday afternoon. By the morning, it was the size of a quarter, and by the time we got him to the vet it was the size of a the size of a 50 cent piece. Poor guy has a bald noggin like me now... but at least it's dried up and healing now. He's not much worse for the wear though. It's business as usual for him ;) The last two were taken sometime last week, but the first three are from yesterday and today.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
He is still a very handsome boy. I hate that they have to shave the hot spots. It takes such a long time for the hair to grow back. Maybe you can get him a baseball cap to wear while it is healing. LOL

·
Cooper Town!
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awww...poor guy...I hope it heals fast!

By the way...how do dogs get hot spots?
It's a bacterial infection that happens when a bug bite or scratch festers. His last play date was a little mouthy and probably chomped on his head last Friday when they were horsing around.

I hope it heals up soon too. Maybe we can fade it in when a summer cut is in order?

·
But, my name is Debbi
1,715 Posts
Awww... poor fellow. I feel bad for him, but, I just had to chuckle a little...........
He looks jewish.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Oh my, that one looks painful! I hate hot spots! This past year we've been finding them more than previous. Waiting for the hair to grow back takes so o o o o long. Give Cooper a big hug and a kiss from us and tell him it will be better soon. (At least he can't lick that one and make it worse!)

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Can be a fungal infection too. If you have a dog who seems to get hotspots from every little scratch it's a good idea to get their thyroid tested. Hyperthyroid Goldens do seem to be way more prone to hotspots, nad other skin problems.

Your dog doesn't have to have all the common symptoms of hyperthyroidism to actually have low values.

Margaret

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
another thought...watch he doesn't get a sunburnt head. My guy Cam had a hotspot on the bck of his neck once, in the middle of summer, and he had to stay indoors most of the time. Their thin skin burns very quickly

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Poor Cooper, I hope it heals quickly. It is good to see he has not lost the big smile going thru this.

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
Hot spots can get nasty really quick - Brady had one that I tried to take care of myself the first couple days. By the time the shaved most of his bib:( it was about 5 inches in diameter. The vet said, "Welcome to owning a Golden Retriever!"

I think his came from a playdate, too.

·
The Pacific Northwet Boys
54 Posts
Beautiful dog, what did the vet do for treatment? My Jake used to get them quite often the last couple of years, my vet prescribed a spray called Genesis, it works great especially if you treat it early. After doing the after the fact treatment I found out that going to a grain free food prevented them. Spring time was when they usually first appeared, but then he got them all the time until I put him on the grain free food and treats. Best of luck.

·
Premium Member
18,012 Posts
My goodness he's all grown! Dang hots spots, hate those things, and they can spread right in front of your eyes too. I'm glad you got it treated. Poor bald noggin.

·
est.1989
4,374 Posts
I have been using a product on the horses to regrow hair and its amazing. MTG (main tail groom ) I get it at our local feed store. It says its safe for dogs too...I'll try to google for you, and find a link...It does stink to high heaven but the hair comes back quickly!

http://www.jeffersequine.com/ssc/product.asp?CID=1&pf_id=12006

·
Cooper Town!
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all the suggestions and good thoughts for Cooper everyone. He's still as happy as ever and the spot has dried up. He busted it open a couple times, but we're keeping an eye on it. The doc prescribed some cephalexin twice a day and some Quadratop ointment once a day. It's hard remembering to leave it alone. Rubbing that big melon of his was one of my favorite things to do. He's enjoying his extra belly rub rations though :D

·
& Romeo's mom
732 Posts
Beautiful dog, what did the vet do for treatment? My Jake used to get them quite often the last couple of years, my vet prescribed a spray called Genesis, it works great especially if you treat it early. After doing the after the fact treatment I found out that going to a grain free food prevented them. Spring time was when they usually first appeared, but then he got them all the time until I put him on the grain free food and treats. Best of luck.
Which foods are "grain-free"?

·
& Romeo's mom
732 Posts
I've been thinking about trying Wellness and I think I will now. Thx. :wavey:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts