Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
My 18 month old pup (Albus) and I play fetch most days and he loves it but his exuberance for picking up the item usually sees him skidding across the ground… as a result of this he’s got sores on his back legs (just below ankle) and under his stopper pads and they reopen if he ever does a crazy slide. The only way I can get him to not slide is if he can’t see the item and he has to ‘find it’ but I would like him to be able to do a bit more of a controlled run. FYI I don’t let him run after it until he is released.. but his impulse control has always been somewhat of a challenge! Has anyone worked through similar or got any ideas? I’ve ordered some leg protectors but I also don’t think the slide is good for his hips so still would like to avoid! Thanks :)

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
What kind of ground are you training on? How far are your retrieves?

I would suggest longer retrieves thrown into cover that will hide the bird or bumper.
Never had an issue with sores as you describe but there is a high risk of injury with the abrupt stop/slide on a short retrieve.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply. He will slide after running more than the length of a football pitch.. if anything, the longer distance makes him more excited I think! It’s grass- however, it’s been quite dry round here recently and it’s definitely gotten worse from that.
I will preserve with throwing it into cover and hopefully he will get out of practice of the skid.

·
Registered
408 Posts
1) Throw into dense cover.
2) Find a hunt/field training group. He sounds like a fantastic hunt test/field trial prospect.

Reactions: ScoutTheGolden

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1) Throw into dense cover.
2) Find a hunt/field training group. He sounds like a fantastic hunt test/field trial prospect.
He enjoys the dense cover retrieves so I’ll carry on with that, thanks.
There are no groups that I’m aware of in my local area (near Manchester UK) which is sad because I totally agree! Although he’s still very easily distracted so we have a lot more work to do :D

·
Super Moderator Leader
54,150 Posts
He enjoys the dense cover retrieves so I’ll carry on with that, thanks.
There are no groups that I’m aware of in my local area (near Manchester UK) which is sad because I totally agree! Although he’s still very easily distracted so we have a lot more work to do :D
Check with the UK Golden Retriever Club, they may be able to refer you to some groups.

·
Super Moderator
2,605 Posts
oo this is interesting and something I’m going to try as well. One reason Why i stopped playing fetch on the ground is because Monty stops too abruptly and I’m afraid of injury. he waits for my cue before going after the toy but I’m going to try and throw it into the cover like suggested to see if that helps!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Oh my goodness what a handsome boy. Look at those long leggies and that awesome tail!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts