Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 10 month old puppy that tries to counter surf all day. No matter how many chew toys, bones, etc I turn my back and he's grabbed everything off of every surface in my house. I try to keep things put away, but with 2 small kids it's difficult. Any idea as to why he does this? He doesn't just get things and bring them them to me-he chews everything up. Any ideas as to what I can do for this?

It's really getting frustrating because it's feeling like a game. Today he really ate my kid's homework lol. I finally just put him in his crate after the 10th episode today.

Help! I feel like I'm putting out fires all day long.

Thanks.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And I'd also add that he's listening LESS lately and getting into MORE. I thought things should start to get better by the one year mark. My last golden was not like this at all. Is it a boy thing?

·
The Missouri Crew
13,683 Posts
I would half to say, hes at that bratty teenage stage. The only thing I have found that works for counter surfing here at my house is NOTHING on the counters.

Reactions: LibertyME

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
I have a homework eater too. :)

Now when Cookie has grabbed papers or something, I am careful to act nonchalant, and I say "Thank You!" and she usually gives me the item. (We practiced this a lot)

If she hasn't grabbed something irreplaceable, then I like to give her the item back, and we trade a few times. I give her a treat after she gives me the item.

Lately she has gotten into the habit of taking our cell phones off the table and hiding them under her blanket. She hasn't chewed them, but now we have to put them on higher ground!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well it's good to hear that I'm not the only one with this problem! I thought this puppy was just trying to send me to the funny farm;)

Someone tell me when the bratty teenage years start to subside? I have a rottie puppy also, she's almost 1 and a DREAM compared to this devil. I'm sure it's a phase, but who would think a golden pup would be more difficult to train? ;)

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
Why? Because he can! ;)
The physical act of getting on his hind legs, snooping around, and yanking stuff off the counter is sooo rewarding that he must do it over and over and over again.

I have one counter surfer...she surfed the stove top one day and flipped one of the stove knobs with her paw..I happened to have a glass baking dish pushed to the back burner - I never gave it a thought as the stove knobs are set back from the edge and are really tough to turn...anyway, the glass heated...then exploded ...sending hot molten glass all over the kitchen and filling the house with smoke...all in the span of 20-30 minutes between when I left the house and my husband got home...

So knowing that he will surf...its okay to be obsessive about not letting anything lay near your stovetop...not even for a minute...

Reactions: Noreaster

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
It is self rewarding when they grab something off the counter or out of the sink, and that just encourages them more. I have two that do it, and it is an endless battle.

Yes, I have had to tape together a couple of homework assignments too.

We have lost almost whole pizzas, steak out of the frying pan, and they have also turned on my stove.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
After 7 years of counter surfing (I have a surfer girl), I had the brilliant idea of using her invisible fence collar to fix the problem. I had a wireless transmitter that worked with the collar she already wore for the fence and it now lives on the wall in my kitchen over the counters. I'm sure my solution isn't for everyone, but OMG I can't believe the difference!

Reactions: Maggies mom

·
The Missouri Crew
13,683 Posts
I have one to... I went out to get my mail one afternoon came back and the unit was unplugged and sitting on the floor in the doorway. He took the hit and pulled it off the wall.....

Reactions: Noreaster

·
Casey and Samson's Mom
221 Posts
Casey, my OTCh dog is the one and only counter cruiser I've ever had...and he is a tall guy with a long reach. good luck. Our solution was NOTHING within reach...\\\ever.

Reactions: Maggies mom

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
Beamer is going on 10 months old and is still a notorious counter surfer. He hasn't hit his bratty teenage stage yet, but will try to find any scrap of food left unattended. Prevention is key, but we are still working on it (though I doubt he will ever be perfect).

·
Rudy's Lucky Dad
8,151 Posts
And I'd also add that he's listening LESS lately and getting into MORE. I thought things should start to get better by the one year mark. My last golden was not like this at all. Is it a boy thing?
He's just at that age where, in the 1980's, he'd have begun asserting himself, wanted a Michael Jackson jacket, and begun arguing against picking up his room. This too shall pass :)

·
Sasha, Honey & Toro's Mom
741 Posts
I don't know if you can ever let your guard down. Toro is 4 and as soon as we forget, he will remember and get something he shouldn't have. We try so hard to not leave things around where he can get them. But he is smarter than us!

·
Wyatt Earp
3,595 Posts
They do it because they can get away with it......don't leave anything that would even tempt them and if they try stop them before it becomes a habit.....

Or do what we do and teach them not to touch....

·
Sasha, Honey & Toro's Mom
741 Posts
It's interesting to hear you all talk about them turning on the stove. My husband makes us take the stove knobs off when we leave the house. I always just thought he was crazy, but I guess things can happen.

·
The Missouri Crew
13,683 Posts
It's interesting to hear you all talk about them turning on the stove. My husband makes us take the stove knobs off when we leave the house. I always just thought he was crazy, but I guess things can happen.
I do the same, even tho my knobs are at the back, he could still reach them it he wanted.

·
The Missouri Crew
13,683 Posts
They do it because they can get away with it......don't leave anything that would even tempt them and if they try stop them before it becomes a habit.....

Or do what we do and teach them not to touch...

Mine doesnt do it when we are in the room, its when we arent, so we now leave NOTHING and I mean Nothing on the counters. If I leave the house he gets crated.

Reactions: Wyatt's mommy

·
Registered
586 Posts
Maya is also a big coutersurfer. It is EXTREMELY annoying--she will always get down when I say off, but I haven't found any effective way to keep her from jumping up to begin with. She's a smart dog--she knows (and smells) that food is prepared on them, so all I can say is keep the counters as clean as possible. (and yes, in a house with several people, including kids, this is a huge challenge in itself!). I know there was another thread on this topic and someone posted that it's like pulling the handle on a slot machine, you get paid once, you keep going back for more! And with Maya, I have learned that anything on the counter can be appealing--not just food. Her latest interest is my pot holders--she grabs them and sticks her snout in the pocket and runs around the house!

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
My dogs also love all my plastic spatulas, ladles and other utensils. They all have teeth marks in them.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts