Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I'm looking for opinions (especially if you are a breeder.) I am looking to bring home my second Golden any time starting in 2022. I reached out to a ton of breeders/filled out a lot of applications after contacting GRCA clubs near me for puppy referrals. I have gotten very few responses over the last few weeks. A couple have said they would like to continue with the interview process so I could potentially reserve a spot for a puppy, but then haven't responded after that. The others have said they don't keep a wait list or don't plan litters that far in advance, which is understandable.
I also can only imagine how overwhelmed most breeders must feel with everyone wanting to get a puppy during COVID, so I'm wondering if I'm wasting my time trying to get on a wait list right now. Should I start contacting again in 2021 or should I keep trying now?
I appreciate any feedback.

·
Registered
185 Posts
That is so incredibly early IMO as breeders probably haven't even decided what stud dog to use and have bitches that may not turn out in that amount of time. Perhaps some people don't care, but the pairing of the breeding should be important to you as well. JMO.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is so incredibly early IMO as breeders probably haven't even decided what stud dog to use and have bitches that may not turn out in that amount of time. Perhaps some people don't care, but the pairing of the breeding should be important to you as well. JMO.

Thank you! My thought originally was that earlier would be better, but I also have never done this before. My first Golden was from a backyard breeder so I'm completely new to this. I appreciate your insight!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Thank you! My thought originally was that earlier would be better, but I also have never done this before. My first Golden was from a backyard breeder so I'm completely new to this. I appreciate your insight!
You may get completely differing opinions on this from actual breeders, but that's how I would view it. That's because if I'm looking, I want a show bitch, where I would want to know the specific pairing I'd be looking at. For a "pet" it may not matter as much to you. The most important thing is to know the breeder does all of fhe clearances and just trust their judgment from there.

One thing you could do to assist in your search is to join a local Golden retriever club and attend meetings. If you would be able to do that, you'll meet breeders and your presence at meetings will make you a known buyer and get you put ahead of any emailed application. From there, just plant the seeds of having interest in a pupp6 and acknowledge your time frame because they'll keep you informed. Again, JMO.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm actually in the same boat of looking for a golden in 2022. I decided to wait until 2021 to contact breeders to see the outcome of COVID. I felt that if it was hard for me to make plans in the coming year without knowing how COVID will be overcome or even managed properly, it must be at least equally hard for breeders to plan litters in advance.

Until then, I'm passing the time with puppy education and coming up with a plan of how I would raise the puppy.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I started contacting breeders this spring regarding spring/summer 2021 litters and was told by a few that even reaching out when I did was too early - presumably because of Covid, breeding plans may be on hold, etc. Luckily I did find a breeder but I would imagine that for you it may be too early, especially given all that is going on right now making it difficult for breeders to make plans.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts