Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well we have had Duke now for 4 weeks, He is 10 weeks old now. Duke is very very nippy I have 3 other dogs and none of them were like this as a puppy. He is constantly biting some one. We yelp it does nothing. We leave the room again nothing. He just doesn't seem to care. We always tell him no. I have tried redirecting him with a toy but he would rather bite us then the toys. I have applied bitter apple spray to my hands again he doesn't care. The other day we were at the table eating dinner when Duke just out of the blue walked up and bit my uncle on the toe. Duke's teeth are sharp my uncle was almost in tears. You try and kiss him and he will bite your nose. What can I do with him.

He stars obedience classes tonight so this should be fun.

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
Chain mail clothing? Just kidding. It sounds like you have a very normal golden puppy. It sounds like you are doing every thing right. Just make sure you have plenty of appropriate chews available to keep trying to redirect him with. Make sure everyone in the household is using the same methods to stop the nipping so he will not be confused. Stay strong as this phase will pass.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
Hi - it sounds like you got the puppy at six weeks. When they're taken that early from their mother and littermates, they don't necessarily learn "bite inhibition," so it can be more difficult to train them out of the nippiness.

Whatever you do, don't hit the puppy or use any kind of pain as the deterrent. That can make the dog fearful or more aggressive. You can use something like bitter apple the way BeauShel suggested, though some dogs seem totally immune to it.

The best way I know is to patiently redirect the dog to an appropriate object for those mouthy feelings, like a nylabone. When he puts his teeth on your hand, say "no" quietly and then give him the toy as an alternative (you can wiggle the toy a little to make it more interesting). If he takes the toy, give him praise and pets. It may take dozens of repetitions of this process before he starts to grasp it, but he'll eventually begin to associate biting the hand with a quiet, boring person and begin to associate the bone with a positive chewing experience.

It's really important during this process that he gets either a quiet "no" (definitely not yelling) or nothing at all for biting. Family members who yelp or jerk their hands away may just encourage him because they're responding in an exciting fashion. Goldens hate it when we become suddenly boring or ignore them, so they'll usually do whatever behaviors they think will make us play and pay attention. The toe biting was probably exactly that kind of play for attention by a little guy who doesn't understand how hard he's biting.

Oaklys Dad is exactly right that all family members need to be totally consistent in their approach or they'll delay his learning. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I have a 6 month old who was just like your puppy. Then he finally got all his adult teeth and the crazy biting on my hands and arms slowed down. I've still got the scars to show it but they are gradually fading since he doesn't shred me to pieces now. He is a hard chewer so I usually have a supply of "bully sticks" on hand so he can chew. Good Luck

·
Registered
644 Posts
We went through the same thing with Benny. We all had cuts and scars from him. We sprayed the bitter apple in his mouth, and said, "no bite!" firmly, but not yelling. It does lessen, and it is very typical of goldens.

·
Where The Bitches Rule
6,429 Posts
Welcome to the forum :wavey:
Three things will fix this problem, I promise.
1) Consistency - Chose one of the methods and stick with it. Don't keep changing because he is still doing it
2) Patience - It can be very frustrating! Just remain patient and if you know you at your end of patience with him, put him in his crate for a little while, but do not do it as punishment or that will create another problem
3) Time - Duke is just 10 weeks old and this will NOT get fixed in a week. It will take time, just don't give up on it!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just started Cooper in training and, while not always a biter, he does have his momments where he forgets. The trainer told me to say "bahh" at him like a bark. It's how dogs communicate so using the "bahh" should at least focus him long enough for you to redirect. Again, we just started classes...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts