Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I'm seriously considering getting stem cell therapy for my 9 year old girl.
Her left hip is slowly getting worse, and I like stem cell because of how un-intrusive the procedure is.

There are many good stories online about this relatively new procedure, but I do know there is about a 20% chance that it is not effective and nothing happens. Compared to hip replacement surgery (or the type where the head of the femur is removed), I am willing to take the chance on stem cell while Sara is still "young" and active.

I've asked this forum about stem cell about a year ago, but didn't get much of a reply. So I'd like to try again.

Has anyone here tried stem cell therapy (especially for a bad hip)?
Any advice? Pointers? Suggestions? Experience to share?

We will see the vet on Saturday.

Thanks!

Mikhal

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Toby's regular vet does these in the clinic and we discussed it for Barkley before his cancer diagnosis in late 2009. At that time it was going to run in the range of $2500 for us. She's had excellent success with some of the dogs and not as good a result with a couple of them where she warned the owner in advance it might not work. She's also gotten permission from the company that extracts the DNA for some "off label" transplants and both of them worked, even though everyone knew going in they were experimental.

The acupuncture vet we used for Barkley had two other clients who had this procedure done and both saw marked improvement. One was a shepherd that could barely walk and after the transplant he bounded up the stairs to her office for an appointment!

Please let us know what you find out during your vet visit.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi everyone, thanks for the replies!

Sara's vet visit went well. Sara was due for her annual checkup, but had started limping a week or so before our visit. It was strange, we had gone out for a walk, and she was OK. Maybe 30 minutes later, she got up to go upstairs and could barely make it up. She was limping pretty badly, her whole body staggering. It almost looked like something was wrong with her front legs from the way she was limping.
I knew it was her bad (left) hip when we went swimming several days later. She was not extending (kicking) her left hind leg fully, until the water warmed her up.

At the vet, the doc suggested adequin shots, but I also mentioned stem cell to her. The doc said that she has not yet had a patient go through stem cell, but she is interested in it, and has attended several seminars about it. She encouraged me to try it, as it has the potential to help in the long-term and potentially reduce or eliminate the need for Sara to be on meds for an extended period of time.

I had done my homework and called up the physical therapy place that my dog goes to, and spoke with the doctor there that would do the procedure. The doc there did a good job of explaining the procedure, and reminded me there is a chance that the dog will not respond. It is not likely the dog will have a bad reaction, since the cells are from the dog's own body.

The cost did not seem bad (estimated $1300, I need to get a final quote), and the procedure will all be done in one day. In the morning, fatty tissue will be taken out from the chest/shoulder area. 2-3 hours later, the tissue will be processed in-house and injected into her hip. So the only thing to worry about is the anesthesia and healing of the incision afterwards.

Well, I signed up Sara for Oct 20... let's hope she responds well to her own stem cells!

Mikhal

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
Want to wish you and Sara lots of luck. I have not heard of this before and will be very interested to follow your story and see how Sara does. What is recovery time and how long do they say until you see if it works?

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
I'm so glad you are pursuing this and they can do it in one day! It was going to be a 2 day procedure for us. The price you quote is very good too! Keep us posted!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dallas Gold - There seems to be two major companies that do this and train vets.
One is "Vet-Stem" in San Diego. Vet-Stem requires your vet to overnight it to them, processed at Vet-Stem, and then straight back to your vet. The process takes about 2 days.
The other company is MediVet America. This one sells equipment for the vet to do the procedure locally, so the it's only a matter of hours instead of 2 days.

Both companies claim they started all this stem cell stuff for dogs, but I haven't seen any comparisons between the two... I came across Vet-Stem first, and then found MediVet because my vet said they can do the whole process in-house and got me curious.

Well, Sara's procedure is a little under 2 weeks away. I sure hope she responds well to this! I don't want her on pain meds for the rest of her life!

Mikhal

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
I'm also interested to see how this works out. I hope you make a post about it after her visit on the 20th! Obviously you won't see results immediately (I think) but I'd be interested to hear about the procedure.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts