Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, Connor spent his first night ever at the kennel on Friday, November 13th (ugghh) and came home Saturday with a scab on his left-front elbow. After a few days of it not clearing up we went to the vet. They shaved the area, cleaned off the scab and took a culture sample. The culture came back "loaded with bacteria." So, his vet advised us to wash the area once a day with anti-bacterial soap (we used Cetaphil) and use a prescription spray called Betagen. We've been doing everything since Friday and I thought I'd post a picture taken this morning here to see if the general opinion is that it looks okay and is healing (or not). It's been a while since we've dealt with a hot spot (our previous golden boy Simon) and we're feeling a little dense and, of course worried.

Thanks for any feedback!!

Attachments

·
16,000 Posts
Clean with Listerine and lightly dust with Gold Bond medicated powder.
It is difficult to tell from the photo, but it does appear to be drying, and healing.

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
Yea it definitely doesn't have that oozy pus look to it in that pic... which usually is a good thing :) I agree with the listerine and gold bond method.. assuming he isn't fussing over it and licking at it, it should heal up very quickly.

·
Registered
10,556 Posts
No, the Listerine does not seem to sting. Poor Bindi got a HUGE one under her ear, all ***** and oozing :( I shaved it as best as I could, washed and dried it, then used Listerine and Gold Bond on it. In less than 24 hours it was all dried up. Of course, she won't be going to any shows any time soon :)

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, Linda. When we wash and use the listerine/gold bond combo should we leave the scabbed over area intact? In other words, not scrub it off?

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Last night we washed Connor's hot spot with the anti-bacterial soap, patted it dry and then sprayed with the prescription Betagen. After the spray dried we added the new trick of lightly dusting with the Gold Bond powder. Well, this morning the hot spot looks much better - not nearly as red, part of the scab fell of and the whole area is much healthier looking.

Thanks for the awesome tips! Quick question: should be wait for the prescription spray or Listerine completely dry before dusting with Gold Bond?

·
16,000 Posts
Last night we washed Connor's hot spot with the anti-bacterial soap, patted it dry and then sprayed with the prescription Betagen. After the spray dried we added the new trick of lightly dusting with the Gold Bond powder. Well, this morning the hot spot looks much better - not nearly as red, part of the scab fell of and the whole area is much healthier looking.

Thanks for the awesome tips! Quick question: should be wait for the prescription spray or Listerine completely dry before dusting with Gold Bond?
Let either the Betagen spray or the Listerine air dry before applying the Gold Bond.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts