I was pulling a chocolate glazed donut out of the bakery bag and a very small amount of the chocolate icing, maybe the size of the tip of a pencil eraser, hit the floor. Connor ate it up fast. Do I need to worry?
I think we all get worried about stuff. Since chocolate gets such a bad rap, it's natural to worry about it. I'm pretty sure Flora's had some chocolate as far as I know - she's VERY quick to snap things up.
She is okay. We are still having some issues with her back two legs, but we're working on it. She's a real doll, and looks gorgeous in the snow! I betcha Connor does too.
Chocolate is only dangerous in significant quantities or in significant concentrations of chocolate liquor, like in dark chocolate or baking chocolate. Teeny amounts of chocolate aren't going to do anything.
Paranoia is understandable though. Dogs can be really silly about what they'll swallow.
When Cedar was 5 months old she stole a whole Mirage choclate bar off the kitchen table and ate the wrapper and all... I called the emergency vet, cause this was at 3am.. and they said she would be fine, just will have diarrhea and an upset tummy.. Well this dog must have a stomach of steel because she never had they poopies or puked..
Also when I was younger my mom put trails of easter egg chocolates all over the house for easter.. My American Eskimo went around and followed the trail of eggs and ate every last one.. lol
My Barkley with the super sensitive stomach ate a whole pan of chocolate brownies, minus a tiny little crumb he left in the pan. I was told he might have some tummy distress but he had no ill effects at all, though he seemed a little hyper to me that night.
My last dog needed a "purge" when she managed to steal an entire pound of chocolate fudge that my son left on his bed!!!! The vet put this cool "contact lense" on her eye, and she threw it all up in less than 30 seconds! We followed up with squirting charcoal into her every 6 hours (v. messy!) It does need to be a large amount of quite pure chocolate for it to be a concern in a dog as big as a golden. My vet actually used a formula and the amount of chocolate in the recipe to decide if we needed to purge or not.