Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Muffin's Momma
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today was step 2 in Muffin's battle with congestive heart failure. Miss Muffin is a 6 1/2 year old goldie. Just over a year ago Muffin was on a jog with my son when she had to continually stop. She finally became so fatigued that she laid down in a yard. My son had to call me to come pick them up.

At that time Muff went to the vet and was diagnosed with congestive heart failure. 2 meds were added in the morning and evening, and she started to quickly improve. Once again, she enjoyed walks, playing fetch, but had to give up jogging.

This weekend, we started to notice that when Muff became overly excited, her breathing was labored, shallow, and rapid. She also started to occasionally cough/gag. She wants to play, but becomes tired quickly. After seeing the Dr. this morning, it was confirmed that Muff has more fluid build-up. Dr. added a 3rd, very expensive, medication. She is also having her thyroid checked again. Last quarter it was borderline. Dr. said that thyroid issues can also contribute to heavy panting, and loss of interest in activities.

Does anyone else have experience with their fur babies and congestive heart failure? Can you help me anticipate what to expect for my sweet girl?

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
So sorry to hear that you are going through this with Muffin :(

To be honest I don't know anything about heart issues, but I have learned that borderline tests for thyroid are low for goldens. Many vets do not realise this. If you can try to get her tests done through Dr Jean Dodds.

Good luck! I hope that someone comes here with some helpful info for you soon:)

·
Registered
552 Posts
Sorry to say yes to this. He lasted only 2 months after being diagnosed. Chance was 5 1/2 when he passed. He was a friends golden but we had him a lot because our friend traveled for work. He became part of our family and we were devestated when he passed. Enjoy the time you have with her.

Reactions: Karen519

·
Registered
949 Posts
A number of years ago I had a dog with congestive heart failure. Unfortunately she only lasted 6 months from the diagnosis.

A low salt diet and pulling off any excess weight can help ease the burden on her heart but nothing can repair the damaged heart muscle.

Enjoy the time you have.

·
Keltey's Mom - Jennifer
256 Posts
Sorry you're going through this. We have a 15 year old Shih Tzu/Yorkie (it's actually her 15th birthday today :party:)
She was diagnosed with congestive heart failure 3 years ago in April. She has far exceeded our vets as well as our own expectations. She has been on Vetmedin and Furosemide twice a day since being diagnosed. After about a year and a half she had a fainting spell after running around a lot. We added Spironolactone once a day and Fortekor once per day on top of the Vetmedin and Furosemide. She used to cough a lot, that has diminished and she is overall doing pretty good. I think every dog is different, we have been very lucky. We just try and enjoy every day with her as nobody ever knows how much time any of us have here. I hope Muffin stays comfortable and responds well to medication.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
My older golden was diagnosed with chf 2 years ago. I pray over her like crazy and she is still doing very well. She has slowed down a lot (the once endless energy is gone) but she is happy and has a good life.

·
Registered
13,084 Posts
I'm so sorry about your Muffin girl. I'm glad you've found this forum. There are so many knowledgeable and kind people here. I have no advice to offer, but I know you will find people here who can help and sympathize.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts