Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 241 Posts

· Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, Im assuming that show dogs and conformation dogs fall into the same category. Correct me if im wrong.

I see breeders that I think breed show/confirmation dogs because they have all the fancy championship titles and ribbons and pics where they have won a lot of competitions at dog shows. They are standing on winners platform looking all sleek and beautiful. they are a medium gold (not dark). But then when I look at more pics on the website I see pics of the dogs running thru the fields and water carrying large fowl in its mouth. would that not fall into the category of a field bred golden?

· Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What is your question?

There are many golden retriever owners who do more with their show bred goldens. The dogs show, they do obedience, they do field, they do therapy. This is the breed. Anything the owners want to do... they can.
I guess im trying to figure out where you make the distinction between "field bred" goldens and "show bred" goldens.

· Super Moderator
3,614 Posts
Field bred dogs come from field pedigrees. Conformation bred dogs come from conformation pedigrees. A dog holding a duck does not make it field bred.
I would say lots of great golden breeders and owners love to dabble in field work, maybe do hunt tests. But these dogs are not field dogs.
Field dogs are the ones born with the goal of competing in field trials. You will notice a similar thing in labradors. Show dogs may do field, but they are not field bred.

· Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Field bred dogs come from field pedigrees. Conformation bred dogs come from conformation pedigrees. A dog holding a duck does not make it field bred.
I would say lots of great golden breeders and owners love to dabble in field work, maybe do hunt tests. But these dogs are not field dogs.
Field dogs are the ones born with the goal of competing in field trials. You will notice a similar thing in labradors. Show dogs may do field, but they are not field bred.
Thank you. I think I have a better understanding. I guess one of the reasons I was confused is I was looking at a breeders facebook page. Im under the impression that she breeds show/conformation goldens. But there was a pic of one of her young boys running thru the field carrying fowl. One of her facebook friends made the comment "love it. Doing what he was bred to do.".

· Kate
25,210 Posts
I guess im trying to figure out where you make the distinction between "field bred" goldens and "show bred" goldens.
Check the pedigree. It has nothing to do with color, etc..

If a breeder only does conformation and has done nothing in field - that is a conformation breeder.
If a breeder only does field breeding and has done nothing in conformation - that is a field breeder.

That said, generally speaking - if a breeder produces show CH dogs, they are known as conformation breeders even though they reliably get field test titles on their dogs or their puppy people do.

For example - Prism who is an active member of this forum has produced field test titled dogs. This includes a member of this forum who recently got a JH on her boy and is now working on SH. I do not expect that Robin considers herself a field breeder. But I do know that she and others consider themselves a preservation breeder. Meaning they breed for everything to be there.

· Registered
89 Posts
First of all, Im assuming that show dogs and conformation dogs fall into the same category. Correct me if im wrong.

I see breeders that I think breed show/confirmation dogs because they have all the fancy championship titles and ribbons and pics where they have won a lot of competitions at dog shows. They are standing on winners platform looking all sleek and beautiful. they are a medium gold (not dark). But then when I look at more pics on the website I see pics of the dogs running thru the fields and water carrying large fowl in its mouth. would that not fall into the category of a field bred golden?
Golden retrievers who compete in confirmation are still retrievers who might enjoy running through the field and carrying a duck. Goldens who are trained in hunting sometimes stand on platforms with their hunting ribbons. They also might also be entered in a confirmation assessment where an evaluator provides feedback about their strong and weak features. So it makes sense that you see a mix of photos. The best way to know what sports a dog has been titled in is to look up their registered name on K9data and note the abbreviations in their name. You can then compare the abbreviations to the AKC’s complete list.

· Registered
21,310 Posts
The best of the best, IMO, are those who breed "tweeners", which is a dog with a pedigree from both sides of the aisle. FourLakesGoldens on here is one of those. She has produced some amazing dogs by blending the two.

· Super Moderator
3,614 Posts
Thank you. I think I have a better understanding. I guess one of the reasons I was confused is I was looking at a breeders facebook page. Im under the impression that she breeds show/conformation goldens. But there was a pic of one of her young boys running thru the field carrying fowl. One of her facebook friends made the comment "love it. Doing what he was bred to do.".
I think you’re getting caught up in the language. Goldens as a breed are retrievers. Retrievers were created (bred) to help the fowl hunter. However, that is a generic statement.

· Registered
3,958 Posts
The best of the best, IMO, are those who breed "tweeners", which is a dog with a pedigree from both sides of the aisle.
A romantic thought, in reality the vast majority of those dogs are just barely capable of field work, if at all.

· Registered
365 Posts
In the sailboat world, there is a category of sailboat called a motor sailer. While it has sails, it also sports a big outboard so the owner can have the best of both worlds. Owners of these boats are fooling themselves if they think their boat performs well under sail or under power.

I suspect the same applies to Golden retrievers. The 2 sides of the breed are both Golden's just as the above are both boats, but the 2 sides of the breed might as well be completely different subsets used for completely different purposes, not that there can't be some overlap.

· Registered
5,294 Posts
I think the two types look obviously physically different. Field Goldens are more lean, energetic & have less coat overall. My inexperienced eye (just making an observation) sees a much bigger difference between field and conformation Labs. I’m very partial to what I have as Goldens go. Logan, my Golden, is a three year old 66 pound conformation bred male, so on the leaner side for male Goldens. He also has quite a bit of energy, is smart, easily trainable, friendly w/all, and is great in the house. I couldn’t ask for much more than that. He’s a Prism dog as mentioned above.

I think you’d be better off getting a field bred Golden if you want to primarily do field trials with your dog. More energy, less hair makes sense. We do hunt tests and Logan enjoys it a lot, as do I. We are also training in agility and competition obedience. I’m new to it all and wanted to check things out. We are having great fun. Do I think Logan could do well in field if I had started him as a puppy and focused only on that? I do. Even better if he didn’t have a green trainer. My obedience instructor says he’s a great dog with a green trainer and that’s fine because everyone starts somewhere.

I’m going to drop one of the disciplines after this year. It’s too much running around and I think more focus is needed (especially for me) to move on along. I will try to choose wisely. :ROFLMAO: We enjoy all of it, so it will be hard but I already have in my mind what’s going by the wayside. I could drop two, but that will be more painful. Sigh.

Here’s Logan with a duck. I consider him pretty versatile:

Dog Plant Carnivore Dog breed Mammal

· Registered
3,958 Posts
The biggest difference between field and conformation retrievers is between their ears.

· Registered
21,310 Posts
I don't give a flying duck what the vast majority are, or are not capable of. Only my dog.

A romantic thought, in reality the vast majority of those dogs are just barely capable of field work, if at all.

· Registered
21,310 Posts
Yep, sadly so many of the field retrievers can't participate in venues that don't involve birds.

The biggest difference between field and conformation retrievers is between their ears.

· Registered
55 Posts

IMO It is the owners choice whether to pursue titles in field or any other performance event. That is no reflection of the quality of the dog to work in the field. Conformation evaluation in a "show ring" is an opinion on the day of competition by the trained and educated judge to assess whether the dog has the correct conformation and depth of breed standard to work effortlessly in the field. This also includes opinion on whether the dogs could be of the breed standard to sire or whelp puppies. It is not meant to be a beauty contest.

· Lead Super Mod + Administrator
3,652 Posts
When people say that, they just mean that the dog is a Golden Retriever and that the breed as a whole was developed to retrieve birds.

If you can get your dog to hold a duck, you can take a photo that makes it seem like the dog is doing field work.

However, there has been a push from GRCA in recent years and a consequent increase in the number of conformation breeders that are trying to put hunt test titles on their dogs. It’s an effort toward versatility in the breed.

· Registered
21,310 Posts
And there also seems to be an increase in the field breeders putting a CCA on their dogs. It's all good.

When people say that, they just mean that the dog is a Golden Retriever and that the breed as a whole was developed to retrieve birds.

If you can get your dog to hold a duck, you can take a photo that makes it seem like the dog is doing field work.

However, there has been a push from GRCA in recent years and a consequent increase in the number of conformation breeders that are trying to put hunt test titles on their dogs. It’s an effort toward versatility in the breed.

1 - 20 of 241 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.