Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, I never thought that I will write a thread like this till I like to have one golden retriever. Then, I was confused to buy whether the old one or puppy. I had 2 choice. 1. I got to know that in my place 1 guy was ready to sell it as he is not able to take care of the pet due to some personal reasons. It is 3 years old. I went and saw the dog. It was very fat and I can't believe that it is 3 years old. Another thing is he want to come to my house every 1 month and see her. Is there any problem in this? 2. The other thing is i am planning to buy a puppy, around 2 to 3 months old. Please suggest which one is good choice, whether the old dog or puppy.

·
Kate
22,107 Posts
Only you can make this choice...

Old dog:

Positive - Already adult, less chance of mistakes and behavioral issues developing due to mistakes. If she is very fat, odds are she could use a better home than she has. As far as him visiting every month, I guarantee that will stop once he's assured that you are giving her a good home.

Negative - It is not easy taking care of a obese dog and getting that weight off. Especially if there are health issues related to the weight.

Puppy:

Positive - They are cute for about 2 weeks before that major growth sends them into the teenage gangly uglies. They are yours to mold and turn into the dog you want.

Negative - If you have no experience raising puppies properly, you will make mistakes. Sometimes those mistakes can be very costly as far as temperament and behavior goes.

Personally speaking, I'd suggest adopting the adult and giving her a great life. You can always bring home a puppy later on.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I second getting the older one. We rescued our dog when he was 17 months old. Wow! What a handful he was! Can't even imagine him as a puppy. I do love puppies, but I think they are more work than babies. Puppies require lots of your time and patience.

Now our dog is 3 1/2 years old and just a perfect age! He is starting to mellow out.

Maybe you can get some feeding help here. I'm sure you need to gradually cut back on food and maybe go on short walks a couple of times a day until she takes off the weight.

Sent from my iPad using PG Free

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
I voted to the 3 y.o. dog. BUT, I really don't like the "visitation" request. What is that about? He can't take care of the dog but wants to come see her every month? After you get her in shape, will he want her back? I'd get something in writing if you go forward with this. Of course there is always the chance that he will visit for a month or 2 then move on.

·
Mom to 9 :)
2,383 Posts
My vote would be for the 3 year old, especially since this is your first. While puppies are really cute, they are also ALOT of work. Dogs that are rescued from a situation that is not ideal (which I would think this one is due to the weight issue), seem to know that you have given them a second chance at a really good life and reward you with tons of love and loyalty.

Regarding the visitation, I would only allow that for a month or two and I would get that in writing as well as the fact that he is relinquishing the dog to you without any future claims unless the dog does not work out for you.

·
AKA: Joyce
7,442 Posts
Several years ago I adopted a 17 month old GR. The wife insisted the dog had to go because he was terrible around her kids and she said he was a garbage hound. The husband dearly loved this dog. The man asked if he could visit Murphy and I said yes, but please wait awhile so he can adjust to us first.
Murphy turned out to be my heart dog! I took him to nursing homes and he was ever so gentle. He never once tried to get into the garbage.
After we had him about 2 months I called the man and said he could stop over anytime he wanted to visit Murphy.
The first time he came over he sat on the floor next to Murphy with his arm around him and cried like a baby. I left the room to give him some privacy. Murphy knew who he was and was always happy to see him but he walked him to the door when he left and never seemed interested in going with him.
The visits continued throughout Murphys life, they became fewer and fewer, maybe twice a year he would stop in for a few minutes and I would send him pictures.
Murphy was terrific with every child he ever came in contact with so I'm not sure what was going on with the wife, he did tell me that after Murphy left their home his wife went out and bought a "froo froo" dog :D
Lucky for us because my life would have been much less without Murphy in it!
Good luck with your choice....I have my 1st ever puppy now, I love him and don't regret it but I will never have another puppy again. Raising 4 kids was so much easier! :doh:

·
shadow friend
3,886 Posts
It sounds like the 3 year old or however old this dog is needs you. I'd save the one that needs saving rather than look for a puppy that exists only in my imagination. When you get a rescue, 6 months in, most people have to ask themselves - who saved who in the end?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi,

Thanks to all of you. According to ur suggestion, I took 3 year old GR. Her name is Sancha. Please bless her :). I will post her pics soon. But, I have some problems with her. I got her 5 days back. The following are the problems.

1. First is she is not listening to me. Whatever i say, it is not listening.
2. She doesn't even know basic commands like sit, stop etc.
3. She is too aggressive.May be the previous owners didn't took care of it. I always try to dominate me.For example, if i sit it starts jumping on me.even if i ask to stop, its not listening. it was too fat.
4. I was not able to teach her commands also even with treats. If i try to teach her commands, her eye is always on my hand which has treats and never listen my words.

These r the problems iam facing. Please help me in this.But, iam sure she loves me so much. I wondered how such a bonding happened between us in just 5 days. She behaves like a kid :). Please suggest me what i can do. Two options i have is I have to return it back or get rid of problems. Iam not sure if i can get rid of her problems.Please suggest me some solution for this.

Thanks in Advance

·
Esquire Golden Retrievers
4,756 Posts
You need to take her to a training class, right away.

Most of the time, the training is more for the person than for the dog. Very few dogs are untrainable. Some require a lot more patience. But once you learn how to teach her, you'll have a great dog. The fact that she's focused so hard on that treat in your hand is a good thing. Once she learns what she has to do to earn that treat, she will probably be a quick learner. I think an obedience class is in your immediate future. :)

·
Premium Member
18,520 Posts
The problems you describe are just training. It takes lots of time and practice to teach a dog what you want. She doesn't speak your language so you have to teach in a way she can understand what you want her to do.

Are there training classes available where you live? If there are I would sign up for a class, or try to find someone who is a dog trainer to help you learn how to teach Sancha. But please give her more time, and keep trying, she can learn just be patient.

(She is not being aggressive, she just wants your attention.)

·
Kate
22,107 Posts
Awesome<:

- Dont expect her to listen right now. With puppies who start training, you will take the stance that you have to teach everything, and you never ask a puppy to do something without already being in the position to follow up should the puppy just look blankly at you. Training takes time and you will have several months of working with this dog. She's essentially a very large puppy as far as what she knows.

Our collie was in a similar position. In his case, his previous owners lured him with food to do everything... and he didn't know how to do anything on his own without somebody luring him. He'd sit there and give us the "duh?" look. :) My niece has been working with him with her mom and me giving her tips, and she's worked wonders.

- see above.

3. She is too aggressive.May be the previous owners didn't took care of it. I always try to dominate me.For example, if i sit it starts jumping on me.even if i ask to stop, its not listening. it was too fat.

- When you say jumping on you, do you mean mounting/humping you? Or do you mean trying to sit in your lap when you are sitting or jumping up to get her face closer to yours?

Jumping up is NOT a dominate behavior. Keep in mind in general the reason why the dogs do it is because they are trying to get their faces closer to yours. It's a "reassuring" or implies insecurity. She's needy.

My Jacks is the ultimate submissive dog - and whether I'm sleeping or sitting on the floor or working with him, he's usually doing what he can to get his face closer to mine or putting himself somewhere where he's either touching me or can look at my face. This is love and neediness on his part. I've somewhat encouraged it to a certain extent, because I love him so much.

It could be your new girl is about the same as my Jacks and just needs a little more assurance and security from you.

4. I was not able to teach her commands also even with treats. If i try to teach her commands, her eye is always on my hand which has treats and never listen my words.

- Okay - similar to what my niece did with our collie, keep in mind that a dog who has been food trained will need to go through a transition. You train with food in sight. Start shifting the food out of sight over time (weeks and months). And then you start asking for things with food somewhere close but not on your person. And then the finally point is when you ask her to do thing with no food anywhere.

All through this, the one constant will be you praising her and bending over and huggling her and patting her giving her face scrubbies as a reward in addition to the treats. Praise and contact should always be offered whether you use treats or not. It does require a LOT of energy on your part. :)

These r the problems iam facing. Please help me in this.But, iam sure she loves me so much. I wondered how such a bonding happened between us in just 5 days. She behaves like a kid
They aren't problems. They are just part of dog ownership and it might take a while for you to turn her into the perfect dog, or that point when you see her as perfect. Good luck - and I'm very happy you gave this girl a chance. :)

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Hi,
3. .. if i sit it starts jumping on me.even if i ask to stop, its not listening. it was too fat.
4. ... her eye is always on my hand which has treats and never listen my words.
1. When we brought our puppy home last year, at nine weeks, he knew nothing. My husband kept saying, "When will we be able to talk to him?" After you've had a dog for a long time, you can say things like "let's go upstairs", "dinner time", "off the couch", "come on up" and they just get it. This takes a year or more!

2. You have to teach those specifically.

3. Some dogs, you have to teach them not to jump on you.

4. Just work on getting her attention for now. Only give her a treat when she looks at you. Carry some treats in your pocket. When you catch her looking at you, toss her a treat. She'll start looking at you, I'm sure.

Two dog training books I like are My Smart Puppy and Click Your Way to Rally Obedience. They have good step-by-step directions and start with easy exercises and more to more difficult exercises.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I would also highly recommend clicker training especially as she is obese. If done with patience and properly, she will start associating with the clicker and not the food treats. Get both of you in an obedience class or six <G> .... and more than likely, she is just incredibily insecure and will need reassurance that you won't abandon her too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts