Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I am brand new to this forum and so happy to have found it. I am very confused about getting a Golden and am looking for some help. I have grown up with Goldens for the past 20 years. My family's most recent Golden was from a rescue society and he is perfect...14 and going strong! I always thought I would get a rescue Golden but am finding it difficult to find one that would be okay without a fenced yard or another dog. For this reason I started contacting breeders as well because who doesn't want a puppy?!
This is what I found: Southbranch Goldens in Wisconsin has a 3.5 year old Golden who did not pass her elbow test so cannot be bred like planned. I have asked a million questions about her and have gotten brief info:

• With a rescue, you have no idea what you're getting. The dogs are not OFA certified, you can't ask about their parents, etc. You put some faith into the dog and love him/her no matter what.

• With this dog, although she comes from a breeder, she is not a puppy. I have been told she has a great temperament and that she won't be affected by her elbow. I do not have more specific information about her elbow.
ANY information you have to help me about Southbranch, rescue dogs, elbows, etc would be very appreciated! Thanks so much!

·
Super Moderator Leader
51,332 Posts
Hi, welcome to the forum.

Do you have specific Rescue questions? Both of my Goldens are adopted, one through a GR Rescue and I adopted my boy from my County Humane Society. I use to help with Intakes for the GR Rescue I got my girl from.

There is a member here on the forum that got a young girl from a Breeder-hopefully she will be able to answer any questions you might have.

·
Registered
10,551 Posts
South Branch, in Caroline, Wisconsin, is not on my list of breeders I recommend to people who come to me looking for a puppy.

If you want to pursue this, I would ask to see the OFA report on her hips and her elbows. Both are typically done at the same time. The report will give you some more information on her elbows.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts