Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 13 week puppy was pulling clothing off the line, I ran up to it and said no! His reaction was weird. He paused, then barked at me and nipped my trousers. I stood my ground and calmly told him to sit, he eventually did and I stroked him gently.
Is this normal? Was he showing conflict aggression? What should I have done? Not screamed no at him?

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
Think of your boy like a toddler, he wants something to play with and no one to play with like he wants. He doesn't have the ability for speech, so acts out his frustrations anyway he can. He is NOT being agressive, just trying in his own way to talk to you in dog talk and puppy fun. This is very normal.

I know I looked like a "Bag Lady" when the pups were babes. I carried treats in every pocket I could stuff them into. When the pup does something wrong, I didn't say anything, but instead tried to trade "up" for a treat. I tried to not say No unless it was something life threatening (eatting electrical cords, furniture).
Think he was just talking to you in the only way he could. Next time you might put a few treats in your pocket and if he tries this again, move to another part of the yard, stoop to his level and call him. If he comes, treat, treat, treat, have him sit, treat, run for a ball, treat.. Their little minds are moving constantly at that age. Just distract and get him interested in something else.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fair point, I was a bit tense when this happen. Wasn't sure what that was about. You are right, I felt bad. I went outside and cuddled him, did some training and gave some treats. He's really keeping me on my toes with all this random behavior! Hehe

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
I think we all need a certificate of graduation when we get the puppies past these stages too. They keep you on your toes constantly, always trying to think one step ahead of them. Whew it is trying, but so much fun. Just remember a puppy is seldom agressive in the sence we think of it. They are trying to learn to communicate to you and usually want you to do something. The trick is learning to read your pup and teach him the appropriate way to "speak" to us in his actions and behaviors. Just love him, laugh a lot and find his favorite treats and toys to distract. Remember you have many here with pups the same age, come and share your stories and frustrations. You will be in the company of many of us!

Reactions: Kinjal

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ellie is doing this too when I can tell that she's frustrated. I have had 3 kids and so I am not as alarmed at it as I am with the nipping (in the other thread) but it is good to see the same sort of replies here as what I have been doing. I am usually laughing on the inside but going "um...no..." in a gentle way with her, tell her to sit, and then praise, if she does it. If not, I try to distract with something else she is allowed to play with.

·
Kodasmomma
1,482 Posts
This is totally normal. Koda still does this at 8 months occasionally if I don't handle it properly. I have learned my lesson, since it was my mistake to handle it the way I did. I try not to get down to her level when I yell at her and really don't yell at her anymore. It's more about diversion. When she was a little one like yours we used to try to give a firm no but she didn't respond to that, she just got frustrated and would either do what you are explaining or do the zoomies out of frustration. We learned that getting her attention elsewhere was what worked for her.

When they are doing these things they are looking for attention, like someone else said, their minds are a million miles a minute and they want to explore explore explore. We just need to keep their exploring to things that are safe for them. He will grow out of it quicker than you think and you will laugh about these things that happened!

·
Registered
639 Posts
I think describing it as a puppy tantrum is perfect. He had something wanted and you took it away. He was letting you know his feeling about it. Clearly it's NOT OK for him to nip at you but it is normal. I think the advice to distract is good.

·
Registered
926 Posts
If a puppy (even 13 weeks old) is pulling at something or putting something in his/her mouth that he/she shouldn't, you need to say "Leave It" and then praise, redirect and/or give a treat depending on the circumstances. Otherwise it takes way longer to teach "Leave It".

·
Registered
417 Posts
Oh my God - Tucker just had one of these tantrums this morning because I wouldn't let him "play" :) with my two year old daughter. Whenever he gets wound up, I KNOW he's wound up, because one of these barking snappy tail wagging tantrums will follow suit. And yes, he's eight months old. Those puppy moments have been coming out more often the past couple weeks. We have definitely hit the adolescent phase...:no:

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
Makes me sad and a bit concerned that you choose the words conflict/aggression - when the puppy's intention is 'connection and play'...maybe inappropriate play...but play nonetheless..

Is there anyway that you can get into a puppy class or hire a private trainer that can help you decipher dog behavior to help you build the relationship that you both need to live happily?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Makes me sad and a bit concerned that you choose the words conflict/aggression - when the puppy's intention is 'connection and play'...maybe inappropriate play...but play nonetheless..

Is there anyway that you can get into a puppy class or hire a private trainer that can help you decipher dog behavior to help you build the relationship that you both need to live happily?
Yes, I'm sorry I used the term conflict aggression, it's just because it happened and I googled the decryption ans came back with many results on that topic. That's why I asked here. Am feeling way better now. I totally adore this forum site, made my eyes open to how innocent the meaning around his behavior was. We are in puppy preschool, but it's always good to share with experienced golden owners.

Thanks all, will redirect next time. Although when he nipped me I was like "oh god" inside, but I calmly said sit a few times and he eventually did, I stroked him calmly. But lesson learnt.

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
glad to hear it... :)
Yes, I'm sorry I used the term conflict aggression, it's just because it happened and I googled the decryption ans came back with many results on that topic. That's why I asked here. Am feeling way better now. I totally adore this forum site, made my eyes open to how innocent the meaning around his behavior was. We are in puppy preschool, but it's always good to share with experienced golden owners.

Thanks all, will redirect next time. Although when he nipped me I was like "oh god" inside, but I calmly said sit a few times and he eventually did, I stroked him calmly. But lesson learnt.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts