Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all - we had a close call a few nights ago and I felt it note worthy to mention just in case you have silly goldens like my girls. We've talked about chewing etc. so I wont go into that. My girls have this fascination with what ever they can get in their mouth when they go outside for a potty break. KD ALWAYS comes back in with something, mostly rocks. Karma, mostly sticks and rocks. I have to be the bad guy and take them away because Karma threw up a rock the size of a small bolder one day and the other day she was playing with a rock that weighed three pounds, throwing it up in the air outside and trying to catch it :yuck: Two nights ago when I said "whose got to go pee" (my nightly going to bed ritual) they got up and both walked to the back door and went outside. I don't trust them (they get into too much) so I go with. I watched them both wonder around sniffing, then pee and come in. They both go to their respective crates at that point. After I shut the door I heard a bark. Checking I noted it was Karma and I looked in on them but they were just lying there so I shut the door. Karma was trying to tell me something as I was to learn the next morning. KD had thrown up during the night in her crate. When I cleaned it up, she had smuggled in (during her pee break) a small plastic car. What came up was about 20 good size chunks of plastic and two one inch steel axles. I thought to myself, what if one of the pieces of steel came up side ways and the other plastic became lodged in her throat - what a scary thought. Now - and this is why I write this - I conduct a sweep of both mouths after their evening pee break and after they get into their crate. KD had an angel on her shoulder that night - there was enough plastic to choke a horse. Anyone else have this problem? She is so sneaky - she will get it in her mouth and hide it by acting normal with her mouth closed, all the while concealing her little treasure to chew on. CHECK THEM OUT BEFORE BED PLEASE! :bowl:

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
I'm glad that all turned out well. Cody is our stickmeister... the girls just want to do their business and play frisbee or fetch the tennis bone. EVERY time we come in, I sweep Cody's mouth before I open the door. He always has little sticks he's chewing on.... like a cow's cud!

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
YIKES! Sounds like a close call wiht the toy.
Mouth sweeping sounds like a great habit to get into...

·
I've seen all good people
5,002 Posts
Wow, how scary! Glad KD is okay.

They are so good at hiding stuff in their mouths! Merlin does that too with leaves and now the green hickory nuts that are falling off the tree.

My last foster always brought rocks into the house.....and golf balls. I'm glad she's not here anymore with all the nuts!

·
Hudson's girl
417 Posts
When Hudson has something in his mouth he isn't supposed to have he will stare at me. It's a complete give away. He thinks he is being sneaky but I know him. Thank you so much for the post. I'm thinking that maybe he will learn not to stare at me when he knows he is doing something he isn't supposed to do eventually. I think a bed time check is an excellent idea since he also goes out to pee right before bed!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
lol, KD does the same thing....she is so stealthy, she will leave the living room, go into the bed room and come out ever so quietly, looking sidelong @ me and she will have a TV remote in her mouth, just barely holding it, then she will lie down on her bed and stare at me to see what I'm going to do. They are so good @ hiding stuff in their mouth, so funny. I just gave KD and Karma half a bully stick each and put them in their room for a few minutes while someone came to the house. When I got them out they hadn't touched their sticks so KD picked Karma's up and Karma went into KD's crib (crate) and got hers. When she came out KD walked over and took the stick from Karma's mouth and walked out with both in her mouth. How funny, Karma just looks @ her like, *** but I always give it back. KD does that all the time, she's weird. I will give them both a pigs ear and Karma will woof it down. KD will carry that thing around the house all day long, even when she goes out to pee - until she's finally ready to eat it. Don't u just love um?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK, I need some opinions to settle a "disagreement" between my wife and I. This morning we were talking about how the girls love to go outside and get a rock to chew on. I said I take them away from them. She asked why stating "I let them go out and lay there and "enjoy" chewing on a rock or stick until they get tired, then they come inside." My response was, they are like a couple of 10 year olds, "would you allow a 10 year old to chew on a crayon or anything else they could swallow and choke on." She got mad @ me for the lecture. Karma not only chews but she plays catch with herself. She throws the rocks up and catches them in her mouth - cute but dangerous in my thinking, after reading about the incident with the tennis ball.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Tucker always finds something he should not have, no matter how well we pickup. I honestly don't know where he finds some of the stuff. Luckily he usually has that guilty look on his face so we can tell. Routine mouth sweeps are common here...

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
Think you had a lucky break there thankfully.

Quinn gives himself away because the minute he picks something up in the garden, usually leaves - Oak leaves or Holly - and they are both toxic - he heads for his "corner", lays down looking me straight in the face with his "innocent" look. I always know he has got something he shouldn't have and check his mouth.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
that is so funny because KD does the exact same thing. She comes in and with her head hung low, her eyes are focused on me with that guilty look as she lies down on her bed, all the while looking at me. If Karma is around, she will rush to KD and check out her mouth knowing she is hiding something so she rats her out if she's not getting into trouble some where else. Karma is not sneaky at all, she will pick something up and try to bring it in but will drop on command and leave it. She likes sticks and very large rocks so it's easy to catch her and she is like dumb, de, dumb, de dumb. But they both know they are doing what they shouldn't.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
I would tell/show your wife all the stories of Goldens inhaling things they shouldn't and the emotional turmoil it can put you through afterward- myself included.

The other day I gave Sienna a large chew I got at the vets. I thought she had finished it and we went outside to play. Normally she does give me that frozen look "I don't have anything, who, me??" when she is hiding something in her mouth. This time I guess she was so excited to go outside I didn't see it.

We were throwing the tennis ball and she kept chewing on something after she grabbed the ball. I thought it was the small plums that keep falling off the trees- she loves to "play" with them, but it was weird, she kept chewing even after they would've fallen out of her mouth and kept going after the ball. I finally grabbed her and pried open her jaws. At the back of her throat was the last piece of the chew all gooey!! I couldn't believe it!! I'm so glad I got to it before it went farther down her throat! It is so hard, she ADORES having something to chew on, but I can't trust her at all.

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
Noah has figured out we check the back of the mouth first, so he shoves things on the roof of his mouth and I know he must be part chipmunk because he has the ability to hide things on the side and coat them with super yucky slobber in a matter of seconds.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Magic walks around in circles wagging her tail to tell me she has something that she shouldn't. She gives it up easily. We are working on Jazz because she will still chew or eat things she shouldn't. She has jaws of steel though. It is so hard to get her to give it up.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
lol - I've found that KD can hide something like under her tongue or in her jaw, I don't know but after doing what I think is a through check I walk away and she starts chewing again. I have to jump up and grab it when it falls out of her mouth. I have Karma trained that when I see her get a piece of mulch or a rock she responds very well to "drop it" in a deep voice. But KD, man she is sneaky. Thank God you noticed the treat in Sienna's mouth in time. Geez, when will the chewing years end? As for my wife, my constant nagging her may be working, she is finally taking stuff from them.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Cody does this all of the time. He thinks tissue paper is chewing gum and if he gets hold of it he will hide it in his cheek so I can't see it, and then he spits it out and chews it when he thinks I can't see him. If I see he has that "caught out" look I have to go check because he'll have something in his mouth somewhere. Problem is finding it - he seems to have so many spots to hide it in his mouth that I sometimes have to make several "sweeps" befopre finding the object - even when I have seen him take it.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I know, their mouth is like the best hiding place. If you ever wanted to hide something from someone, just give it to your doggie. Katie was chewing on a piece of (small) wood yesterday and I told her to drop it, she gave me a look and just kept on chewing. After I took it from her and politely said "thank you" she waited and started chewing again. I took another piece from her then we went through it again but I couldn't find them in her mouth when I checked. Karma chews most stuff she's not supposed to eat but KD eats most stuff she's not supposed to.

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
I could always tell when Comet had something he shouldn't have. Instead of walking in the dog door, through the kitchen, and then into the living room, he would come in the dog door, through the kitchen, and instead of the living room hang a right and try to sneak by using the L-Shaped alcove at the front door, then head to the hallway to the bedroom.

Nice try bud :)

Gilmour isn't hiding it much (yet). He comes in and basically circles around the coffee table once than plops down real quick. That's my queue he's brought something in (usually a rock) or a dirt clod the size of Texas.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm glad KD is OK. What a scare! And reading all the tales of what other Goldens do or did makes me feel very fortunate that we never had a problem with ours.

However, our Husky mix got hold of a rock sometime when we weren't watching, and broke off a tooth. We didn't even know about it until a routine vet exam. They had to put her out to remove the tooth remnant. It was a tough job, resulting in a very bloody doggy face. Poor Molly! Thankfully, she never did that again (as far as we know!).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.