Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in a finished basement without carpeting. They just painted the concrete floors and I have rugs everywhere. I read that puppies shouldnt run on hard surfaces for at least 2 years till their bones develop. I want to play with her down stairs, will this be a bad idea? I was thinking about getting a large piece of carpet remnant for a play area.

What do you guys suggest or recommend?

·
Registered
30 Posts
jeff, I'm interested to hear the answers as well. More because I take my pup for walks, on pavement, and she likes to run and lightly jog with me but we usually only jog for a block or so because I'm lazy and get tired :p.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Holly,
I got this response from my breeder.

"Playing on hard ground should be done in moderation. Jogging for long distances in concrete should be avoided until two. It's hard on growing joints and bones. Long walks and such are great but being at a constant run or trot on concrete is not good. If it's ok grass is much better. "

Maybe find a path or trail with grass along side and your puppy can run on the grass beside you.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Always avoid playing on concrete floor which it not good for puppy and adult. It fine to play on carpet, soft ground dirt, or grass. It okay to walk with puppy on concrete sidewalk but not long since the puppy bones are not strong enough and still growing. I normally walk on sidewalk and my 9 weeks old pup switch out walking on grass and concrete for 10 - 15 mins.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts