Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

21 - 40 of 3401 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,478 Posts
I went to putting chicken broth on everything. Luckily we also catch lots of salmon every summer so we had strong smelling smoked salmon for my old girl. It seemed like a light walk in the evening just to the end of the block really helped her attitude too. I love a sugar face, they are the best dogs. When Tiger was old I had to watch the other dogs to keep them from eating her food.

I had a mouser too. She would go on the hunt in the shop at work. We had big overhead doors that were easy for the mice to get through, so there were plenty to chase. Never had a mouser since. I do miss watching her work.

·
Dog Lover
42,036 Posts
Barb

Sending good thoughts and prayers to you and Tiny. She sounds like she's doing really well for her age with the exception of eating.

I had to let my bridge boy go at 15.5, it got to be a struggle to get him to eat. I ended up cooking a lot for him and gave him basically whatever he would eat. He too was on Tramadol.

I know when they get to be this age, you start worrying about every little thing. This time is so precious and you want to do everything you possibly can for them.
Barb

I just saw this. I know what you mean about being worried. My Smooch was always a ravenous eater, but I knew something was wrong when she DIDN'T WANT to eat at all. I did hand feed her and she took it. I'm glad you're giving her the canned food, too, I think they prefer that and it's easier for them to eat. Tiny sure ate QUITE a bit already today! I wonder if dogs are like people and eat less when they grow older. Wow! 16 is just amazing!

·
where the tails wag
13,348 Posts
Just seeing this and sending good thoughts & prayers to the beautiful Tiny.

Hey Tiny, badger Tito so we can all watch and enjoy the video Hotel4Dogs will make :)

·
AAARF!
2,216 Posts
I totally understand how it's a worry when you're seeing a change in Tiny's appetite. Sending prayers and good thoughts for your Tiny.

·
Registered
12,494 Posts
I'm just seeing this now. Please know I am sending you so many positive thoughts for Tiny.

I noticed with Tesia that she started not wanting to eat right away when we got up in the morning. I started letting her let me know when she wanted to eat, instead of me putting it down on our old schedule and having her walk away. I don't know if your schedule allows for this. I felt that helped me not stress about it, and I felt like she felt less pressure. We would go out, and then she would come back in and go back to bed for an hour or so. Then she would come out and be ready to have breakfast.

As her appetite ebbed and flowed, I would key in one what she DID like - and I would just give her that. She always happily ate cookies, even if she turned away from her bowl of food, until that last weekend, so suddenly cookie intake went way up. I had only very occassionally given cookies through her life, but in her last two months, she got cookies whenever she looked at me. She seemed to really love Fromm Gold Duck and Chicken Pate, so I gave her that, and I gave her more anytime she asked. I gave her smaller amounts more often. She also did better when I took the chill off the refrigerated portions in the microwave, and mashed it up so that she could just basically lick it up, rather than chew anything. She also did better if I served it on a slightly lipped plate than in her dish. (No clue why on this one, but so be it).

If you are worried about calories, Hill's a/d diet can be really good. It is concentrated, so you can add some water and make it into a gravy type consistency and add it to kibble, or just give it alone as I eventually did.

Best of luck - I know the great worry when their appetite starts to change.

·
Official Trout Bum
4,216 Posts
We're sending good thoughts your way Barb...Tiny deserves nothing but the best...

Pete & Woody

·
Mandy's Mom
1,488 Posts
Prayers and good thoughts for Tiny. Like someone else said, maybe she needs a bit more of a variety in her diet. :D I know what you mean, we notice any little change and it is worrysome. Please give her a smooch from me, ok?

·
AKA: Joyce
7,442 Posts
Prayers for Tiny.
Just my two cents but when Ky was taking Rimadyl and Tramadol daily for her back she refused breakfast and barely ate dinner. The longer she was on it the harder it became to get her to eat. After we stopped those meds she started eating again.

·
New Mommy
6,137 Posts
Lots of Golden thoughts and prayers for Tiny. I think it might be the meds too. Do you have her on Glycoflex ? Sorry if you have already said somewhere else in the thread. Hand feeding is another great idea some one else mentioned. Good luck and lots of hugs to your sweet girl. XXOO

·
Registered
20,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Thanks so much for all the prayers and well wishes. I don't know if the power of the forum kept HRH Toby alive any longer than he would have otherwise lived, but it sure helped me to cope with everything that was happening.
I, too, have suspected the meds. but the tramadol makes a world of difference for her. I believe it's what keeps her so mobil. I will have to ask the vet if maybe giving it to her at a different time of day would be better. Right now she gets 1 pill per day, they said she could have up to 4, so she's on a very mild dose. Toby couldn't take it at all, it made him lethargic and yes, he refused to eat. But Tiny's been on it a few months and has been fine. So I don't know what to think.
Today she had 2 cups of kibble, 3/4 can of food, and I don't even want to list the treats as it might be somewhat embarrassing! So it's not that she won't eat. In fact, she follows me around begging for treats. It's only breakfast. I will try feeding her later and see if that helps. I also got several different varieties of canned food to see if that pleases her a bit more.
The real concern is the change in her appetite. Change isn't good in old dogs.
Video camera is sitting on the kitchen counter, charged and ready. Both dogs are sound asleep. Sheeesh.

·
Registered
17,254 Posts
Sending extra special thoughts and golden hugs your way.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Well, not sure what could be going on. Maybe she just isn't hungry in the morning. Hopefully her appetite will perk up for breakfast. How's my guys doing? We are heading home a day early, not sure about the weather heading home. Did I say I would pick them up Monday afternoon? Thats what I wrote down, anyway. See you then.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Sending prayers and good thoughts for Tiny. She actually sounds like she's doing well for almost sixteen. Our Zeke was never a big chow hound and when he went off his kibble he continued to enjoy people food. I ended up cooking extra people food for him, keeping it in the refrigerator and taking the chill off with the microwave. Chicken, salmon, rice with chicken broth, and sweet potatoes were things that he was always happy to have. The frozen salmon burgers at Costco are easy to heat up and were always a hit.

21 - 40 of 3401 Posts