Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 3401 Posts

·
Registered
20,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I could use some good thoughts for Tiny.
Over the past few weeks, I've noticed her appetite is changing. She has always been a ravenous eater.
She started by eating her breakfast more slowly. Then she progressed to leaving some of her breakfast, and now some days she walks away from it completely.
I'm giving her lots of canned food in her breakfast. Today I gave her only canned, and she only ate about half. So it's getting worse.
She still eats any and all treats, and she eats her dinner just fine.
But of course, it's a worry.
And at her age (she'll be 16 March 20), there's not much I really want to do, or can do, except try to keep her happy and comfortable.
She does seem to feel fine. Still playing, still mobile. Still begging for people food.
Of course, I know at her age it could be just about anything. Please just send some good thoughts our way if you have a spare moment.

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
Sending good thoughts your way for Tiny girl. Spoil her rotten as much as you can, but I am always amazed that she is almost 16 years old!

·
I miss my Buddy
11,529 Posts
Good vibes, prayers and hugs for sweet Tiny.

·
Kate
20,709 Posts
All my best prayers and thoughts, Barb. I think when you have a dog this old - you give them extra hugs and kisses because every day is a gift.

One thought I'll throw out there - have her teeth checked out. I know you are feeding her canned food so this is probably not it, but it's worth checking out just in case it's something that simple. The other thing - does she lay down to eat? Or do you have accomodations in case she's waking up with aches and pains? Could be she feels better later in the day.

It's a good sign that she's eating her supper just fine and still eating treats like normal.

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
I always have tim for lovely Tiny!
I'll keep you both in my thoughts and prayers because I know how worried you are.
I'm glad she is eating treats and dinner. I'm sending you both lots of love and hugs.

·
Registered
20,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the good thoughts.
While I don't think it's her teeth (she seems to prefer dry kibble to canned food these days!!), I did have her mouth checked last time she was at the acupuncture vet. They didn't see anything obvious.
She doesn't lie down to eat, believe it or not she is still much too mobile for that!
She gets 1/2 a rimadyl and 1 tramadol every morning, for her arthritis.
It's just a worry when anything changes at this age. But I am very thankful that, at least for now, she still wants lots of treats, and all of her dinner.
I really appreciate the kind words and good thoughts. I REALLY need to get a video of her trying to get Tito to play with her!

·
Registered
4,826 Posts
Hugs, belly rubs, thoughts, and prayers for you and Tiny. It gets tough as they age, 15 years is wonderful!

The belly rubs are just for Tiny!

·
Registered
444 Posts
When Savannah started loosing her desire to eat a friend recommended Bil Jac (in the freezer section of our grocery store).It did the job for a week or so (well worth it to see her eat), not sure about the nutritional value but it made me happy she ate it and must have given her a little more fuel in her gas tank.

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
lots of good thoughts going your and Tiny's way. One more month till her sweet 16 birthday and hope for more!

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
"She doesn't lie down to eat, believe it or not she is still much too mobile for that!"
That sure gives me a big smile and I'd love to see her trying to get Tito to play.

She is such a lovely rat terrier - I would never have guessed that was her background (tongue in cheek as usual from me).

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
I feel your pain and worry. I'm having a similar problem with my 15 year old. She has Cushing's but that is supposed to increase her eating. She won't touch kibble, or canned or anything mixed together now. She will usually eat chicken breasts, hamburgers, pasta, sometimes eggs and cheese, dog biscuits and pork chops. In a day I manage to get enough food down her that I know she won't starve, but I'm going broke. We are seeing our vet on Wednesday for acupuncture and a discussion. I hope you have lots more quality time with your old one. Jesse is also very mobile and loves going on walks and all kinds of outings. She just over the last month has gone from eating pretty well to being a diva.

·
Kate
20,709 Posts
She gets 1/2 a rimadyl and 1 tramadol every morning, for her arthritis.
But is she slower moving in the morning?

The reason why I'm asking is our Sammy was becoming a picky eater the last couple years of his life, until we convinced him to eat laying down and that changed everything.

We had him on glycoflex and treated him with tramadol whenever he seemed 'off'.

Danny always had bad elbows and they could make bending over to eat a painful issue for him so he generally had his food on a raised platform to make it easier for him.

·
Registered
20,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you guys so much. It helps to have so much friendship and support here.
Kate, I can try having her eat lying down, but I don't think she will. She is a bit slower moving in the morning, but not really a lot. But I'll give it a try for sure. I can also try feeding her a bit later, I feed her about 5:45 a.m. usually.
Tayla's mom, I'm sorry to hear you are going through the same thing. Luckily Tiny will still eat her kibble, but for how much longer? It's the change that's worrisome, like you said, she went from eating anything that doesn't move faster than she does to being picky in just a couple of weeks.
So far today she has had 1/2 cup of kibble and 1/2 can of canned food. And about 10 treats. And 1/4 of a banana. And 1 pupperoni stick. A few cheese puffs. So she is eating. It's just the change, as I said, that worries me.

·
Registered
20,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
LOL, that's probably why she has lived so long, no one ever told her she's not the rat terrier we set out to get all those years ago ;)

"She doesn't lie down to eat, believe it or not she is still much too mobile for that!"
That sure gives me a big smile and I'd love to see her trying to get Tito to play.

She is such a lovely rat terrier - I would never have guessed that was her background (tongue in cheek as usual from me).

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
"So far today she has had 1/2 cup of kibble and 1/2 can of canned food. And about 10 treats. And 1/4 of a banana. And 1 pupperoni stick. A few cheese puffs. So she is eating. It's just the change, as I said, that worries me. "

Perhaps you should try for more variety.;):p:

·
Super Moderator Leader
45,828 Posts
Sending good thoughts and prayers to you and Tiny. She sounds like she's doing really well for her age with the exception of eating.

I had to let my bridge boy go at 15.5, it got to be a struggle to get him to eat. I ended up cooking a lot for him and gave him basically whatever he would eat. He too was on Tramadol.

I know when they get to be this age, you start worrying about every little thing. This time is so precious and you want to do everything you possibly can for them.

1 - 20 of 3401 Posts