Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maddie has this 'thing' on her mouth (see pink blob on photo). She's only 7.5 months old. We have an appointment tomorrow with the vet but I was hoping someone would reassure me.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
Hard to tell, but looks like it could be papilloma virus (canine warts), if it is, then it is nothing to worry about, it will disappear on it's own. It is also highly contagious, spread through direct contact, or contact with contaminated dishes or toys, so other dogs should not be exposed to your dog.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I looked it up and that seems likely. We're still taking her to the vet tomorrow. I'll call the dog day care and let them know.

·
Registered
20,993 Posts
I agree with Charliethree, especially since she goes to day care.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Charlie just had it just a month ago, probably got it at day care. I kept him home for a couple of weeks. I read online that it takes some time to get rid of and usually gets worse before it gets better.....having that in mind...i though the worse and the pictures online didn't help either.
He had one wart (same size as your dog) and two little ones starting...for a week I gave him twice a day 500mg of L-Lysine.....I read that it can help shorten the time...
and........it worked!!!!! I'm still very surprise but within 3 days the bigger wart started getting smaller and a week later it was gone.....so the whole thing from wart showing up and being gone was a little more than two weeks and no new warts appeared. I kept him home from daycare a week longer just to be sure and hes good.
I also heard (don't know if it's true) that once the get it they won't likely get it again....

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. We just bought some and gave her the first dose. Tomorrow we still have a vet appointment.

This has been so helpful!

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oddly enough, I don't see how she could have gotten warts. She hasn't been kissing any frogs that I know of.:yuck:

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yep, just came from the vet's office. Papilloma it is. So, no more doggy day care for awhile.

He suggested it could last two to three months (argh). We have her on l-lysine as was suggested on this forum, even though the vet doesn't think it will help.

We shall see. My fingers are crossed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts