Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took Judge to the vet today due to loose stool for past day and I was very displeased with my experience. We have been to this vet a few times for routine shots and I already sort of had my doubts.

First they charged me a total of $90 for a 10 minute appointment (well $60, $29 for medicine). It was $40 for the visit and $20 for fecal exam.

Second the assistant was very rude, you would have thought she'd never handled a puppy before. I did NOT like the tone of voice she used with my dog. She acted like he should understand her English and kept yelling (well, using too stern of a voice for my liking) at him to sit still. He's a puppy first of all, he gets very excited to meet new people. Second they were sticking a thermometer up his bottom, what dog would just magically sit still? And she just seemed so frustrated and exasperated for something that shouldn't have been a big deal. Anyway, I'm definitely going to find a new vet but Judge's health is still my first concern.

They said he just had a bacteria overgrowth (from maybe chewing something he shouldn't have) and gave him Metnidazole (hard to read spelling on bottle). Anyone with vet experience know if this sounds reasonable?

Thanks and sorry for rant!

·
aka Ali, Oscar's mom
493 Posts
I don't have any experience with that particular diagnosis, so I hope others have some advice. Unfortunately those costs do sound about right to me... it is usually about $40 to see the vet (even for a short visit), and those fecal & medicine costs seem reasonable. It would be nice to be cheaper of course... sigh :(... well one time we actually got a free visit since our vet just took a look at a boo-boo on Oscar's nose, but there was no medicine or lab work involved that time!

HOWEVER -- I honestly would not tolerate any rudeness from my vet or anybody working there. If you liked that facility otherwise then I'd say maybe it was just a one-time thing (and to try and avoid that person in the future if you can), but if you were already having doubts -- I say go with your gut & find another vet! There are plenty of vets out there, and you deserve to feel like you are on the same page with everyone you might contact when you are bringing in your baby!

Best of luck to you.

·
16,000 Posts
Did you even see a vet or just the tech? Was the fecal negative for parasites? I'd be displeased, as well. They need to be making a puppy's experience more positive - not to mention the fact that the owner is having concerns...

I'd call and ask to speak with either the Vet/owner, or the office manager and express my concerns. I'd also ask to have another fecal done in a day or so - a fecal can be negative, and one taken a few hours later positive - it depends on when theparasites are shedding ovum...

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Sounds like colitis

My former cocker was on Flagyl(trade name for metronidazole), quite a bit for colitis. She was a nervous cocker and would resort to loose stools on occasion. Flagyl pronounced fla'-gel is an antibiotic. Did your dog have exposure to anything new, different, Christmas treats, etc, change in diet or routine? It could be you got an antibiotic to cover the bases of like they said, bacteria overgrowth. It's widely prescribed for people and pets alike. Try a good brand of yogurt, (I'll suggest Stonyfield Farm, from my home town here in New Hampshire). It's good for the GI tract. Might cure your pups loose stool issue and would be a good idea to include it more often in his diet. Hope he's doing better soon.

·
Registered
680 Posts
sorry for your bad experience. Unfortunately I am not a trusting person when it comes to vets. You really have to be your own advocate in these situations and know where to draw the line with meds and procedures.

I would take the advice and contact the office manager or even contact your local Veterinary Association to find out who the owner is and make a complaint.

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
Tucker was on Metronidazole for loose stool once a long time ago and it fixed the problem. Prices sound reasonable, would be a lot more expensive if you lived in MA. Sorry you got a tech with poor bedside manner, that never helps the situation. Good luck & long life to your puppy!

·
Grumpy Old Man
4,588 Posts
Finding a good Vet can be difficult at times. Try contacting your local Retriever Clubs to see who their members use and/or recommend. You'll find that word travels fast within dog clubs and it doesn't take long to separate the wheat from the chaff.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
I would be shopping NOW for a new vet. You do not have to go to a vet you are not happy with. Take your records and run. There must be other vets in your area. I would never take my dog to a vet that I was unhappy with for any reason. :yuck:

·
Registered
212 Posts
my vet gave that same med to my dog on a couple of occasions over the years for upset tummy incidents...whether bacteria, or b/c she ate something different or random, etc...it always worked and fairly quickly...it always seemed like just when i was starting to worry that she was developing the opposite problem after taking the meds (constipation), the next morning things were back on track and normal...

to me, the price seems low to normal...but i live in the city where prices are typically higher so thats just probably a location thing

as for rudeness and lack of confidence in care, etc, i wouldn't tolerate it and i'd change vets...trust your instincts...its my opinion that when your vet's office is not a happy place, you are in the wrong place...i mean really, what vet would employ a non-animal friendly person and what person wouldn't love schmoozing with pups all day? the wrong kind thats who. ask your local dog-folk for a vet recommendation. just like your own doc, you want your vet experience to be a positive one that you can rely on long-term. insist on the same for Judge. good luck and feel better Judge!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you everyone for your advice and support! The cost doesn't bother me so much if I felt they had taken their time and explained things better to me and been nicer to my baby! It is a very small office and there is only the 1 vet and tech.

I do have another vet I love, it is the one my parents use and the first vet Judge ever saw. We moved so we are further from him and I tried this one because they are closer. However I think from now on I will make the drive to the vet I trust and has good bedside manner. I just worry that if something were wrong I wouldn't want to make the long drive, but I do know where the nearest Animal Hospital is if that were ever the case.

Thanks again and Judge says thank you!

·
shadow friend
3,886 Posts
For me, their attitude would be enough for me to not take my dogs to their practice anymore. It's kind of like your child's doctor - I for certain wouldn't let my child have a doctor with no bedside manner / way with kids. It makes it more scary and unpleasant for my child so I'm thinking I wouldn't do the same to my dog.

·
Marcy
8,914 Posts
Definitely look for a new vet. I have complete and total confidence in my vet, there are three docs and I would see any of them. The Techs are fabulous, kind and patient.

They listen to me and work with me, never condescending or rude. I was just there yesterday getting bordtadella for bumpasses (as they are being boarded next week) and I hooked Finn up to the hitching post to pay and he ripped it out of the wall! They all laughed and said don't worry, but it has never happened before. They said when Dr. Mike gets back from vacation he might want to put Finn's picture in the house of destruction fame. They are good people.

Dr. Weber actually came in from his bowling game to fix Abby's bloat. The quick action saved her life.

Good luck finding a vet you are comfortable with!

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Yes, I'd be looking for a new vet as well. I won't tolerate someone treating my animals badly. If they don't like animals they shouldn't be working there and to expect a puppy to sit still for anything is asking a lot. I love the practice where I take our dogs, everyone is wonderful and very caring. I just had to take Sammy, our newest rescue in yesterday for some really bad hot spots and they were so sweet and gentle with him and even asked about Dusty who we rescued a month before Sammy. When we had to put our Yellow Lab to sleep the vet tech that assisted with the procedure cried with me and hugged me and told me how sorry she was. That's the kind of people you want working with your baby.

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
I totally agree with finding a new vet or returning to the one you had before.
Our vet is way across town but they are worth it. They LOVE our dogs and are always wonderful to them! Besides being excellent at what they do.They are also supportive of ME and explain everything, listen to my concerns and input (when I wanted to put Gunner on thyroid meds for a low normal and contacted Dr. Jean Dodds they went with her recommendation. No pride issues there)
I would definitely call and complain and let them know you are changing vets and why.

·
Registered
958 Posts
We pay $45 for a vet visit and $20 for a fecal float. Not sure what we pay for metronidazole, but $30 doesn't sound unreasonable. So I don't think you charges were out of line.

Metro is often prescribed for non-specific diarrhea...in other words diarrhea where a specific cause can not be found. I always call Metro a wonder drug. It can be used as an antibiotic, it has anti-inflammatory properties which help with colitis, and it is great in controlling diarrhea. You usually see good stools within 24 hours after beginning metro and if you have a bacteria overgrowth the antibiotic properties of Metro SHOULD help to resolve it.

Because diarrhea can become a dangerous situation with dogs, and particularly puppies, if a specific cause was not diagnosed I would want mine on the Metro for nothing more than a short term solution to control the diarrhea.

As for the rudeness you experienced...absolutely inexcusable.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts