Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being a lifelong composting enthusiast, I now find myself wondering about the doggy doo.
Living basically on bedrock, composting has been a way of life here, without that there would be no gardening here.

We compost kitchen scraps and any livestock manure we have ever had, even built my version of poultry manure digester, but the doggy doo baffles me and I wonder if any body here has experience with that
Dr Google was not very helpful beside dire warnings of not putting it on your veg garden, which frankly wouldn't have even occurred to me to do ;0

I am now using a large round "soil saver" but no idea what to add to make it brake down in a hopefully not too smelly way?

·
Registered
12,853 Posts
Hi- not sure where you are, but the City of Toronto allows you to put your dog poop (in compostible bags) into the city's compost green bins (and your personal one that they pick up) because that compost is used not for growing food, but for producing green fuels. Does your city or region have a composting program that you could contribute yours to? That might be a place to start - and if they don't, they might be able to point you to where your dog compost could go. (I hope I'm answering what you are asking)

Reactions: Wendy427

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks you for your response, we do not have a green bin program here, but
since we have enough land, I was hoping to compost it and return it to soil in more usable and less smelly way.
I have seen a version of a septic for dog waste, but it required 4' deep hole and being on bedrock that isn't really possible here

·
Premium Member
18,227 Posts
I seem to remember reading somewhere that because dog's eat mostly meat their waste should not be composted. I don't composte so I am probably wrong.

·
Registered
12,853 Posts
I seem to remember reading somewhere that because dog's eat mostly meat their waste should not be composted. I don't composte so I am probably wrong.
No - you're probably not wrong. You probably heard that it should not be put in compost that will be used in soil where food will be grown. That's true. But compost can be used for other things - like the production of green fuels. So for that, it is safe.

Reactions: Ontariodogsitter

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The addition of 5 puppy poops a day, of rather heroic proportions for a puppy send me on a further research.
I would definitely build a Doggy doo septic system if we had soil deep enough to actually dig a hole.
So apparently I could use a septic activator in my "bin", but since we never used it in our septic system, I will let Mother Nature do her thing and just add few weeds for some layering.
I have no plans to use this "compost" just looking to reduce the quantity.
Since garden compost breaks down 65 to 1, meaning 65" of compost will produce 1" of soil, I am hoping I will get some reasonable reduction of the bulk ;)
Sorry I might be a bit obsessed with the subject...........

·
Registered
543 Posts
You may want to Google composing of human waste, since that's probably a closer equivalent to dog waste than, say, the manure of the average herbivore. I know some people have "off grid" homes or vacation properties/camps and set up a compost system that layers solid waste with shavings. I think the park service does something similar for "comfort stations" that are on islands or well away from civilization. My guess is you could do something similar, maybe using a large plastic garbage can with holes in the bottom and sides for aeration and to allow liquid to escape. Layer the poop with a few handfuls of shavings or other dry matter and let it break down. Once it's broken down, you could probably use it for a soil, tree, or non-food garden additive.

I'm not an expert on the subject though... so Dr. Google is your friend here...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts