Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Complications ..

3K views 47 replies 27 participants last post by  tippykayak 
#1 ·
I just joined the site a day ago seeking information on how to take care of my pup when she comes home from getting her spay... I took her in this morning and the vet just called she said there were complications and she's lost a lot of blood.....they spent over 3 1/2 hours in surgery ... she said there was an infection inside that would have made her very sick if they had not caught it ... they are supposed to call me back soon as they take the trach out and she is a little more awake..... so please send happy thoughts our way I want my puppy home :(

#2 ·
fingers crossed for your dear-one.......
Glad they discovered her infection when they did....

#9 ·
Definitely sending happy thoughts your way - healing happy thoughts. So hard when such a standard operation encounters complications. But glad they caught the infection when they did. Hope Maya's feeling better soon and home with you.

#11 ·
I hope everything turns out okay for your baby. Sending positives thoughts and prayers.

#13 ·
This sounds like yet another pyometra.:( Had she not already been scheduled for a spay, this could have been a life-threatening situation. Spaying a bitch with a pyometra is more complicated because of the threat of peritonitis, and also excessive bleeding. I'm glad that you had her spayed when you did and did not have to go through an emergency surgery on a debilitated dog.

#17 ·
Sending prayers for Maya that she recovers quickly and can soon come home.

#23 ·
Thank you ALL so much for your thoughts and prayers. She is home now and doing ok (she's scared of her cone and hasn't moved much but I don't blame her) it was pyometra the vet showed me her insides after she'd woken up. The Vet said she'd had about another week before it had become an emergency surgery. The Vet Tech ( The SPC for those military types) is the one who caught it as soon as they opened her up. The tech is pregnant and said as soon as they opened Maya up she could smell something was wrong.

When it rains it pours the Vet also said she tested positive for Lyme disease .... *sigh* The Vet said for every 100 that test positive that only about 5% ever show symptoms.

I am now the worlds biggest advocate for getting puppies spayed before their first heat. Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers .. I'm so happy to have her home

#24 ·
I'm so glad Maya is home. Hope she heals quickly and is soon back to her normal self.

#25 · (Edited)
Well, hopefully they can use doxy as the followup antibiotic for the surgery, since it should also beat back the Lyme. Lyme can also cause immunosuppression, which could make pyo more likely.

What a bad round of luck, but I'm glad she made it through OK. It's a good thing you had the spay scheduled when you did.

#26 ·
Any documentation available on bitches with Lyme being more likely to have a pyo? Since it is an excessive quantity of progesterone that causes pyometra, I'd be very interested in how the two might be connected.
NOT being argumetative, but I have always been very interested in the topic.

#27 · (Edited)
Just google immunosuppression and pyometra. No specific, proven links with Lyme, but definitely links between inflammatory process (which Lyme causes) and pyo, and between immunosuppression (which Lyme causes) and pyo.

eg:

Immunosuppression in bitches with pyometra - Faldyna - 2008 - Journal of Small Animal Practice - Wiley Online Library

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15638130?dopt=Abstract

Pyometra's causes are a little more complex than a simple excess of progesterone. The excess of progesterone is a precondition that causes thickening of the uterine wall, without which pyo cannot occur. A second key factor is the presence of bacteria not normally found in the uterus, which can enter more easily because of the excess progesterone. Without the bacterial colony, though, it won't develop into pyo.

The inflammatory process caused by Lyme could be a factor, and the immunosuppression of it could easily contribute to the bacterial overgrowth of the second step.

Certainly, we can't say for sure that Lyme "caused" or even contributed to a particular cause of pyo, but it could certainly make it more likely to occur. An active Lyme infection would make nearly any infection more likely to spread quickly and have more serious consequences. Nonetheless, my comment should have been worded more speculatively.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.