Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a lot of you already know, we had a big ice dam on our roof that caused leaks into our living room and part of our finished basement. The insurance adjuster came over on Monday and assessed the damage and referred us to a cleaning and restoration service, who we immediately called. They came that evening and put in huge dehumidifiers and fans in our living room and basement. They also tore up part of the carpet in the living room to air it out and help it dry. They told me that they would come back the very next day (which would have been yesterday) between 12 and 1 PM to reassess things and see if anything else needed to be done, like removing part of the wall and rebuilding it if the moisture level is still high. They said that they would call before they came. Well, by about 3 PM yesterday no one had called us. I finally called them and asked why we had not heard from anybody. They then called me back and said that they would be unable to make it until tomorrow (today) because they were stuck at another job that was going to take them all day. They said that they would call me around the same time today (between 12 and 1 PM) and then they would come over. Well, it is now 3 PM and STILL no one has called me. I just got off the phone with their office and I was told by the secretary that the guys who were supposed to come back had just left for another job in a town that is about an hour and a half away from here. Pardon my expression, but ***?!?!?!?! Our house is in complete shambles. Our living room furniture is all moved to the middle of the room, the carpet is torn up and we have this gigantic, noisy, electricity eating dehumidifer and fan in there, as well as in our basement. It is so loud that our cats won't even go in the living room or basement and it keeps us awake half the night. DH even had to move all of his stuff out of his office in the basement so that they could get in there to work. This is the SECOND day in a row that they have blown us off! DH even took yesterday off work so that he would be here with me to help me move furniture and stuff out of their way so that they could do their work! I am so mad that I can barely concentrate on my work. I am literally fuming. I just left a voice mail and sent an e-mail to our insurance adjuster to tell him what was going on and asked him what to do at this point.

Okay, I just had to vent. I think I am going to now go hold a pillow over my face and scream as loud as I can. :mad::mad::mad::yuck::yuck::yuck:

·
Simon & Shadow's Mom
860 Posts
Great idea! Pillows are wonderful things!
Sorry you are going through this... Homeownership is fun, isn't it?
:(
Hope you get some good news soon!

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They FINALLY just called me back. They are still coming today, but it won't be for another few hours. I guess that's better than them not coming at all! I just want this to be over with!

·
Luke, Maggie, and Tucker
3,045 Posts
I'm so sorry to read about this. Lots and lots of big hugs coming your way. I hope they can get this fixed quickly!

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
I understand that working on homes is unpredictable and may take longer than people estimate it will, but I HATE it when they say they'll be at your home between this time and that time, and then call 3 hours later and say, "Oh, we'll be about 3 hours late."

I once had a cable repairman come to my apartment at 9pm!!!!!! I was flabbergasted that he came that late. I felt sorry for him because he was working that late, but c'mon. The company should have known better than to do that.

I hope your troubles end soon!

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm so sorry to read about this. Lots and lots of big hugs coming your way. I hope they can get this fixed quickly!
I sure hope so! I don't know how long I would be able to stand having chunks of our walls missing. I am a total neat freak and always have to have everything around the house all neat, organized, and in place!

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I understand that working on homes is unpredictable and may take longer than people estimate it will, but I HATE it when they say they'll be at your home between this time and that time, and then call 3 hours later and say, "Oh, we'll be about 3 hours late."

I once had a cable repairman come to my apartment at 9pm!!!!!! I was flabbergasted that he came that late. I felt sorry for him because he was working that late, but c'mon. The company should have known better than to do that.

Ha! We had the cable company here this morning because one of our DVRs stopped working! How much can happen at once? Seriously?!?!?!

·
Simon & Shadow's Mom
860 Posts
"I once had a cable repairman come to my apartment at 9pm!!!!!! "

We had this happen to us too- and they were scheduled for 9AM. Actually, the guy showed up at 8pm, but he was there until MIDNIGHT installing stuff (directv). I could NOT believe that it took him THAT long to install, and then we had problems after problems with it.
It will all be over soon enough!
:D

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
Cable Companies... They always show up between Monday 8am and... Thursday.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We had an all day appointment with them today! They said that they would be here between 7 AM and.....god knows when. I was pleasantly surprised when they showed up around 11:30 and they were only here for about 15-20 minutes and we got an even better, brand new DVR for our living room. At least that was taken care of right away!

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
"I once had a cable repairman come to my apartment at 9pm!!!!!! "

We had this happen to us too- and they were scheduled for 9AM. Actually, the guy showed up at 8pm, but he was there until MIDNIGHT installing stuff (directv). I could NOT believe that it took him THAT long to install, and then we had problems after problems with it.
It will all be over soon enough!
:D
Oh my goodness... midnight!!? Poor you guys, and... poor that guy! I would hate to work for a cable company.

·
I <3 Goldens
487 Posts
Ha! We had the cable company here this morning because one of our DVRs stopped working! How much can happen at once? Seriously?!?!?!
You just broke the cardnial rule for home ownership!! NEVER EVER ask what could happen next.... trust me it could be ALOt worse. I understand your frustration 110% Just stay on top of the people and make sure the work gets done.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The workers just left and I now have a huge chunk of wall missing from one of the rooms in our basement. They are going to come back again tomorrow, and I asked them to PLEASE come when they say they are going to as both DH and I have very busy schedules and we need to be able to count on them to be where then they say they will be. Once the cleaners are done, they are going to have to send a carpenter in to rebuild the wall in the basement. The good thing is that the wall in our living room is now almost totally dry and they don't have to knock it down after all! That was my biggest worry. I just want them to get everything done as fast as possible so we can move on with our lives and get ready to install our new floors and paint!

·
Registered
330 Posts
I'm sorry you have to through this, but please make sure there is no mold on the drywall, that happened to my son and he had gotten sick come to find out when the wall got wet from a leak, the drywall started growing mold.
Where's the customer service??????????????????????

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
You know, I'd be furious. I don't blame you for being angry. That is a huge inconvenience and any business should keep its word.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I couldn't help but tell them what a HUGE inconvenience this was and told them how DH took the day off yesterday to be here when they came and they never showed and how them coming this late in the day majorly cuts into my work schedule (I work late hours and lost about 3 hours tonight because they came so late in the day). They told me that they would be sure to come much, much earlier tomorrow and I told them that I wanted them here right around noon and no later. We'll see what happens tomorrow! I can't say that I was very patient with them when they were here!

·
Angel Gage's Grandma
8,017 Posts
Service companies seem to have lost the 'service' idea these days. I love when they give me a 4-hour window when they'll be here. Either 8-12 or 1-5. Orkin at least showed up at 8:15 both times, so I didn't have to sit around all morning. I've also successfully asked service companies to give me a call 20-30 minutes before their ETA, and I drive home from work when they're supposed to be here. Not all companies will do that, but it's worth asking about.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
They did tell me that they would call before they come, but then hours passed the time when they were originally supposed to call and I ended up having to call them....multiple times! I made it clear to them today how unhappy an unimpressed I was with their service. Maybe I'm just grumpy because I have a big hole in my wall with a fairly steady leak and the Golden Retriever wall border that we had and beautiful oak wainscoting are ruined. :( DH is probably going to cry when he comes home from work in a couple of hours and sees the condition that his office/computer room is in. I guess it could be a lot worse! At least next winter we will be more prepared and have the snow and ice removed from the roof after every storm!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts