Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well the new puppy crate (jail) arrived today. i think we now have about everything we need for his arrival.
i think i maybe shoulda got a bigger crate (jail) tho as it is a 30 inch one.
but hopefully it will be fine until he grows a bit bigger.
i did read that an oversize one is not recommended.

his kongs arrived today as well smaller than i thought tho lol. i got the puppy ones but can always get more later.

also i got a really nice email from royal canin and they have recommended the correct food and are sending me (otis) some goodies in the post. weeeeeeeee!

called the breeder last night for an update but missed her return call earlier so will contact again later.

i cant believe i am fussing about like i am over a puppy lol.

about 2/12 weeks to go and he will be here.

one question tho: how did you find pups first go in a car? do i need frequent stops for a pee? as the trip is all motorway. should the mrs have him on the back seat with a toy?

17 days to go :D

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
lots of kitchen roll, wet wipes and a puppy pad are a must, one of my pups had a four and a half journey home, I think they only stopped once for Honey, and then she didn't go a potty till she was back in the car :D, I have a 30" crate for car journeys for my pup I use it for about the first 6mths, as long as the Kong doesn't fit fully in Otis's mouth it will be ok for a short while,

·
Banned
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cheers hun, i forgot all bout kitchen roll and stuff lol.
i will send you a pic of what i have got so far and let me know if it is enough.

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
lol, it's never enough, I have four goldens and you should see all the toys they have, and yet I still keep on buying, :D. I'll have to dig out the photo of their toy collection

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
I had Honey wrapped in a blanket for a 45min journey did the same with all my pups and no problem,until Honey she threw up four times and s!!! 3 times:yuck::yuck::yuck: had kitchen roll bags etc but kitchen roll rolled to back of parcel shelf and couldn't reach it had my head out of the window trying to not throw up myself LOL best of luck whatever you decide:)

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
Sounds like your prepared and mist has covered what you should need.

We had about a 2 hour journey with Quinn and he slept on my lap all the way home, until we were about 2 minutes away from the house and he woke up and threw up.

I personally wouldn't bother with a toy in the car for the 1st journey home, i would think it better to keep the little one quiet - but that's just me.

If you are going to change Otis's food, I would probably wait for a week or so, feed him on whatever the breeder gives you initially, and once he has settled then think about changing him - but remember to do it slowly. Pup's tums are easily upset.

Good luck

·
Banned
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
omg it looks like i need about 3000 more toys lol.
this is some of what i have so far. i reckon it is enough until we get to know him a little better and what he likes / dislikes

i also put a pic of his mum in, forgot which one she is lol and a pic of him with the breeder.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts