Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok first off Hayden has been vomiting all day yesterday. Mostly just yellow stuff.. Then once was a bit of bone. (I don't know what happens I was at my part time job) I let her out and she puked her food outside.. Yet she's still hyper and running around like it's nothing. I'm thinking of taking her to the vet if she continues today. Good idea? Or will vet just tell me it's probably bone stuck and watch her?

Also, I'm moving to a "farm" where Hayden will be able to go outside whenever she wants (after I get us situated). I'd like to get her a playmate since she keeps trying to play with the cats and it doesn't turn out well...
She did good with duke but he was a puppy.. She got to be the boss. I rescued a great Dane from a horrible situation and she HATED him! A lot of dog fights! She did want to play but he was big and clumsy. Not to mention his idea of play was to lay on top of her lol THEN he would want to lay on my lap (not so fun) and she would get upset and try to do the same.... Found the great Dane a good home...

At dog parks she ALWAYS goes to the puppies. She loves them... Lets them climb on her and all that. I so don't want to do the puppy thing again :( I don't get much sleep as is! I mean it may be easier since I'll be able to section off a room for them and they will have a doggy door to go outside (large fenced area).

Don't really want another golden since I've got enough long fur everywhere. Any idea what else will work? I want to rescue one..
Should I go with puppy for better chance of Hayden accepting it? An it accepting the crazy cats? (who will finally be allowed outside since there aren't many things to run over them. Tired of holding them back while I let Hayden out)

There is a BEAUTIFUL staffie for adoption (looks like a pit) that i wouldn't mind adopting but unsure of compatability? He was paired up with a dalmation mix female when he was found..

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
If the vomiting continues I would get her into the Vet. Sometimes things lodge and the dog can't remove. I would want this checked out for sure!

For a companion, you might go to your local shelter or rescue and look at what they have. If you find one/some you like then get permission to take Hayden with you for a playtime with the other dog. Just let her greet slowly and only with one dog each time (too many will confuse). Some shelters (the one I donate time to) have weekend passes for potential dogs and their new owners to let them try out a few days with other pets and family members first before adoption proceeds. You might try this and see how well the new animal gets along with not only Hayden but the cats too. Older rescues seem to accept things with grace, puppies and younger adults sometimes take a bit of time to understand they are with their new Forever families and need more time.

But first and formost make sure whatever is causing Hayden to vomit is found! Something stuck in the throat or gut is very painful and can do a lot of damage if not removed or passed. They can dehydrate quickly. Make sure she is drinking lots of liquids or give her ice cubes but get her into the Vet if this is continuing.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea I was sure to fill her water bowl as high as I could. I know with humans thats a big concern when vomiting.

Seems she has stopped though!! But wow I can't get the spots up out of the carpet. Hate to say it but i'm glad it was at this place and not the other! Landlord refuses to give deposit back even though the basement keeps flooding... guess hayden was just giving them a reason to keep the deposit?
Although whenever I get time i'm going to go to walmart and pick up some white vinegar and baking soda. Heard this mixture works great on stains... hoping so! No matter how upset I get at the landlord I can't leave a place looking "ick" I already updated the place a good amount for him....

Didn't think about the weekend pass idea! The staffie is actually at a non kill shelter so they may allow that! There is an older puppy that is GSD/pit mix (looks like a brindle GSD) that I thought was cute but doubt they'll give me a trial run. ALthough i'm PRETTY sure Hayden would love a pup. Bit I know GSD teeth HURT when they are pups so kind of worried about.. well.. one cat.. The other is nuts and will beat the snot out of the pup then try to play with him lol

Thank you!

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was talking to the guy who took Duke when my landlord told me he had to go and he said Duke is doing good but got in trouble today for hurting one of the smaller dogs. I said oh yea? I'll take him back... lol :crosses fingers:

Otherwise there was a posting on facebook about a guy who can't afford to take care of his dogs. Told him I may take this one next week if he hasn't found him a home..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts